Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie: how to determine waterline !  (Read 2526 times)

fill1960

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newbie: how to determine waterline !
« on: August 31, 2021, 07:34:24 pm »

Hi peeps
new member saying hello
decided to take the plunge and got my first ever kit (Kirick wsp47 police launch) i cannot seem to find any reference to the waterline measurment on the hull studied plans and looked on the interweb, no joy any help, ideas would be most welcome

many thanks, phil

RST

Re: Newbie: how to determine waterline !
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 07:58:25 pm »

I just checked my part built kit and there's a 2 sheet set of plans in the box.  They are not full scale but it shows the waterline.  I think top right it says the scale of the plans is 1:2 which looks about right holding them up to the hull so you just double up the dimensions measured from the plans.

Hope that helps, bit of a faff to post pics at the moment but it's marked clear enough on the plans that I have unless they changed them?

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 08:32:08 pm »

It's not an exact science as each builder with finish up with different weight boat ( even if only by a few grams ), also water temp and salinity will make a différance.

The picture give you a good idea where it needs to be, if not, as Rict say, on the plan somewhere....

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 10:51:25 pm »

Yes martin but its on the supplied plans, KWL (I just tried to upload pics but as I'm on works computer anything connected by USB gives daft security problems now).  I must post a correction though, on sheet one it says "bogen 1/2" and sheet 2 I just noticed says "bogen 2/2".  So I was wrong in assuming 1/2 meant some way people write scale i.e 1:2 but just holding them up to the model was not an unnatural assumption (bogen doesn't translate meaningful in google translate!).

...there's lots of issues I have with this kit so far and meant it was a quick build stalled-out but not the plans (the hull seems paper thin and some laser cut parts seem not to fit at all).  As you said there's also plenty of pictures that can be scaled and ultimately the WL (I think they call it KWL) is where it is, but the OP, Phil, is correct in asking where it should be first, and it's quite clear there in the paperwork.

Rich

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 11:17:34 pm »

Bogen has many meanings in German, one is sheet of paper  ie: sheet 1of 2
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 12:33:52 am »

Once you determine where the waterline is on the plans, measure down from the bow and stern to the WL.  Mark those 2 points on the hull.  Turn the hull upside down and set it up so the WL marks are the same distance off the bench, by blocking and shimming under it.  Keep the hull level across the beam. Then use a tool (forgot the name) that will hold a pencil at that height, and scribe the line all the way around both sides.  Now you can mask the hull at the marked line and paint.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 05:04:12 am »

I set up a laser level to mark the waterline, then tape to the laser line

fill1960

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 07:43:39 pm »

Thanks peeps

think i was expecting an actual measurement written on the plans, guess i will have to commander the grandsons paddling pool for sea trials  :-)

[size=78%]phil[/size]

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 07:52:11 pm »

I use the bath

fill1960

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 07:58:30 pm »

we only have shower/wet room :((

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 08:44:34 pm »

Use the Medway
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 01:04:05 am »

Reply 5 method is spot on but you don't have to turn the boat hull upside down if this is a problem. Use the same method but with the boat resting on the keel and supported/chocked up. Use a building stand/cradle to support the hull if you have made one.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2021, 10:24:00 pm »

Compare against photos of the real vessel and its features.

I just cannot imagine why one would turn a boat upside down to mark a waterline. The stand should hold the hull as though its on the water, what could be more appropriate?

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

RST

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2021, 11:41:24 pm »

Just about every model I do gets turned upside down for waterline marking. 9/10 anyway, it's far easier if you have your deck / bulwarks set right.  But you new guys brought in lasers and such I can't figure out how it is of benefit. You don t need a dumpy level to paint a waterline though some chose to.

.....the OP is still looking for that elusive mark though, which is on the supplied plans all along!

You don't need a paddling pool when it's written on the plans from the start!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 07:02:39 am »

Thanks Rich I might try that  :} 

Build manual
https://www.astramodel.cz/manualy/krick/20360_VSP74_Polic_man.pdf

Unfortunately the build plans are not online.

Not even in a build review
 https://issuu.com/mfgobmiur/docs/17dfvdfv/14
ANDY

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2021, 10:56:02 am »

Not going to take a degree in brain surgery to get pretty close from the photo of the Police boat.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2021, 07:29:30 pm »

Hi fill960, Usually the first task on any build is to build a stand or cradle to fit the hull. As the build progresses this ensures the hull is straight and level and ensures that no 'twist' in the hull occurs when framing and especially when fitting the deck. This work fixes the hull into a rigid structure and ensures the hull is square and plumb. Drawing on the waterline is then very easy and Andy',s final photo shows how this is done, chocking the cradle if necessary to make the stern and bow marks/measurements aligned parallel ready to scribe the waterline.
Sorry to be longwinded and please ignore the above if you have already built a cradle. Good luck with the build and keep us all involved as you make progress or need  a little help.

MikeStoney

• Grandpa with new visions and immense patience
  • Shipmate
  • Here are hobbyists among themselves!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2021, 09:09:05 pm »

Hello CGAux26Your message ... forgot the name . . . . . . this is an
Scriber for height gauges!   :embarrassed:
Greetings from switzerland, Mike
If you don't try to ask others, you won't get an answer

RST

Krick WSP47 semi-scale police boat drawings
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2021, 09:56:17 pm »

Hi,

Sorry for my frustration before but Krick do include 2-off half-scale plans with this kit along with the build book.  When we build scale mdels there may always be some interpretation requied and some reason to change it (though can't think of many drawings where WL is not shown).  As this is an easy-build kit the WL is quite clearly shown and an easy bench-mark of where it should be from the inevitable float tests ad as it's quite a reasonabe sized model I imagine no reason to be over-weight though it does have a bit of a strange underwater shape.  By the way, a stand / cradle is already included in the kit also.

At the moment Phil never confirmed these two sheets were in the box so we must assume they were missing and although it's easy-enough from photos, it's also not resonable to expect to see it written in literal numbers.  I hope I'm not breaking copyright by posting photos of the plans which show it as they don't list them on-line unlike the manual.

Hope this helps,

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2021, 10:05:25 pm »

Break away mate I’m right behind you  {-)
I think it’s just that they don’t think these are needed online.
ANDY

RST

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2021, 10:20:07 pm »

Hi Andy,

There also some issues I found with the laser cutting (isn't laser cutting supposed to be accurate?)...

I built the deck with openings on maximum dimensions.  I then built the aft well squeezing things into the minimum dimensions on the laser cut slots.  My aft well is however far too wide to fit into the deck opening and sanding of parts don't account for it (I need to remove something like 1mm off either side of ply lamination from either side of the aft well deck).  When I moved onto the aft wall of the deck-house it's also not matched to the deck opening or material suppied.  Laser cut parts -hmm, supposed to fit well but think someone got their numbers wrong in the gcode before the parts were cut.  That's when I stopped on this as a supposedley easy build and went "right" same as most, the parts don't fit right in the important places so the instructions once you know the parts are mostly folly.  Changed from a 2-3 week project into another long-term figure it out.  Not that I'm not used to fiddling with supplied parts, but a simple quick slot together cheap project this has turned out not to be!

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2021, 10:23:33 pm »

Kit manufacturers alike likely rely on the old quote from the original Billing Boats
The model must be built not merely assembled  {-)
What better way to hide behind discrepancies

Like “any Airfix modeller can build this”  %%

ANDY

RST

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2021, 10:31:07 pm »

hi Andy,

Probably right there, it was probably something re-vamped and put out.  It is to be fair a cheap kit to get you going.  Some of the fittings are a bit surprising though like laser cut thin ply for stanchions.  The radar obviously used to be a robbe item but now made from wood and allot of sanding and filler.

It does however include a motor, shaft and coupling so if you can get past the build as supposedly "simple" it's good value for money.  I would say though if you can get the parts to fit out the box then it puts you in very good stead for something more complicated.

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2021, 10:33:41 pm »

The pilot boat has been built by friends with no reports of problems and looks like a good kit with the extra options
Recommended
https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/aeronaut-pilot-boat-rc-radio-control-model-boat-kit/?gclid=CjwKCAjwhOyJBhA4EiwAEcJdcfdIwlqPEeGigmlstdasnoKu7Q1ytp5PtWd3VtsE7qNC1_ihOohgLBoCAk8QAvD_BwE
ANDY
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.