Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Prospect of futurity.  (Read 1061 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Prospect of futurity.
« on: August 31, 2021, 09:00:47 pm »

Several times lately pondered the possible outcome of my models when I finally hand in my ticket. (when you get to my age you get maudlin),  Will my heirs stick em on Ebay, send them to the charity shop or even the council tip ?  Yesterday our daughter was round and in passing she commented  " Dad , I really love that model you are finishing (Chimaera).     OH JOY>    %%
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Prospect of futurity.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 09:44:49 pm »

In my case. A skip will be hired, me at bottom all my stuff on top.. {:-{

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 08:00:16 am »

Same here. My Management says that I'm to have a 12' deep grave with me at the bottom and all my "junk" on top. Appaently the tombstone will say "It never did come in handy". I suppose that will also apply to me at the bottom!

Mike

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 08:58:19 am »

In my experience EVERYTHING comes in handy evenually. The only uncertainty is whether you make it as far as the 'Come in Handy' maturation date.

Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 10:33:00 am »

The answer to your question is very simple you will not be around to see what happens to your work. It may end up in a skip or be sold  either way you will have no control on what happens. Until such time enjoy your hobby. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))   

Stan.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 11:33:07 am »

A raft made from whatever you've got, you on top then pushed off into the sunset...........in flames of course! %)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 11:44:07 am »

Hi all, right a bit of fun but there is a serious side.  As Secretary of a prolific club I have had this problem thrust upon me by family members asking us to clear the models.

My best advice is to do what one of our deceased members did.  He did know he was shuffling off the coil with cancer.  Not wishing to put a totally ignorant family in a difficult place, he made a list of all of his models and worked out who he was going to give them to.

The recipients were very pleased to be included in his wish list and if they had any questions he was there to answer them.  Of course there is also having a club auction or sale as well.
But the downside is that the family may also feel guilty about chucking everything out and it gets put into the garage where it gets hot and cold and damp and things deteriorate.  I have also been there and found a once lovely warship with a mouse nest and droppings inside it.  Now cleaned and on display!

So the problem I suspect from Baldrick is that he has rather a lot of models and finds it difficult to choose, well you can bring in a bit of logic here to help!  Lets say you would like to hang on to 2 or 3 models, but which ones?

There is a method of making it easier to choose just follow the folowing!

List all the models downwards on a large sheet of paper with space to the right.
Compare the first model with the second model and write a tick alongside which one you like best.
Then compare the first model with the third model on the list and again tick the preferred one

Continue with the first model comparing with all succeding model ticking your choice.
When you get to the end it is time to do it again but comparing the 2nd. model with the 3rd. model ticking as before and so on comparing the 2nd model with the rest then on to the 3rd. model with the rest til you are finished.

Now the denoument!  Alongside each model there will be a number of ticks count how many ticks each model has and put them into this new order.
This is now your own personal choice of your favourite models.  You can decide what criteria you want to use in choosing and best do that at the beginning.  If you are 'not going out' then it might be you just want to look, or if a bit like me you can only manage the smaller ones  then that would be a choice.

It is an established method I think it may be called a Pareto test?  I know the 80 / 20 rule is Pareto but I remember these two together so not sure.
I hope this does help as if you visualise 5 years damp and neglect on your own models it might make you think about disposing of some of your models before you kick the bucket, especially if you are not using them.  And you will make some good friends as well!
regards
Roy

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 09:11:23 pm »

This has long been a problem, just look at the amount of models donated to the Beal Park museum, and looked what happened to them, well good news a lot were sold on. (the one I loaned came up for sale and thanks to a heads up by Colin Bishop I managed to get it back) , this is a problem, my children just look on, with words like....nice one Dad......ohh so would you like it.....ummm well where would we put it, and what would we do with it......
Familiar right.....
So next plan....grandchildren......
Like it granddad........
We need a bigger fish pond though !
Humm , Mama (French for mummy of course)  will not like it
She didn't......
Grandad now making a car...
So, an on going problem, and remember I used to build straight running boats, and of the high speed steam version........so not even that wireless control stuff...
makes it a bit tricky,
So where will it all go........
We will need a bigger skip  :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 04:19:22 pm »

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 06:33:30 pm »

Spot on article Phil, makes one wonder (happily for me not from the cloud--------yet)  :-)
Steamed up all the time
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.