Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuart Models Twin Oscillator steam passages  (Read 1633 times)

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
Stuart Models Twin Oscillator steam passages
« on: September 05, 2021, 09:10:16 pm »

Good day, I am converting the plan of the Stuart Twin Oscillator steam engine from imperial to metric dimensions. The steam ways are tiny and I want to make them larger diameter to reduce the possibility of breaking the drill. Does it matter if the diameter of these steam passageways is enlarged? Any advice please? Regards, Brian

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Stuart Models Twin Oscillator steam passages
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 10:32:28 pm »

Enlarging the ports will affect the timing and duration of the steam being admitted as well as the exhaust being discharged, although the exhaust side is not a concern.

Admitting the steam earlier will at the least affect performance and efficiency and, if you go too far, at the worst stall the engine so it will not turn.  I would recommend staying with the plan dimensions.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 09:13:13 am »

Thanks Bunkerbarge. So it's down to studying the recommendations on drilling small diameter holes! Oh well, things are not appreciated if you get them too easily! Cheers. Brian

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 09:31:55 am »

Very slowly Brian with very gentle pressure. 

Either lightly centre pop the hole to stabilise the drill tip or, better still, mark the surface gently with a small centre drill with the job set up just before drilling the actual hole.  This will ensure the tip does not wander off centre and flex.  I would also put the drill deep into the chuck to make it a little more rigid.  Finally frequently back off to clear the swarf.  It might also be worth doing a test drilling first in a piece of scrap to be sure your set up is perfect.

Good luck.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 10:49:17 am »

And assuming the castings are bronze, back off the rake of the leading edge of the drill, stops grabbing. O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 04:18:26 pm »

Altering the diameter of those will have no effect on your steam engines performance.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 07:35:26 pm »

Altering the diameter of those will have no effect on your steam engines performance.

Yes it will

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 07:51:09 pm »

Guys, the designed diameter is just under 2mm so there is really no problem. Sorry if I have raised the subject unnecessarily. Thanks for all the good advice. Cheers.  Brian

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 08:08:56 pm »

I am quite sure that the question was "Does it matter if the diameter of these steam passageways is enlarged?".  This is quite different from 'if the steam ports were enlarged.'

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2021, 08:43:05 am »

Brian, You should be OK with a 2mm drill as long as you take the precautions mentioned above.  I would recommend that you get hold of a small centre drill however as they are perfect for spotting a surface prior to drilling to ensure the drill does not wander before it starts to cut.

I also came across this, which I know is a single but the procedure is the same and it might just give you something to think about.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=104201

Then I also found an interesting exchange regarding the twin which you might also find interesting reading:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=116721

I also think you will find it interesting to have a look through this thread.  While this is scratch built from plans the drilling process is obviously identical to your kit.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1616211-Building-a-Stuart-V-Twin-oscillator-Boiler

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2021, 08:47:29 am »

I am quite sure that the question was "Does it matter if the diameter of these steam passageways is enlarged?".  This is quite different from 'if the steam ports were enlarged.'

My apologies, I have never come across an oscillator with the steam passages of a different diameter to the port so naturally assumed they would always be the same.  I did make that assumption in this case however as I am familiar with the Stuart Twin oscillator.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2021, 04:00:44 pm »

This little engine has been on my build list for a long time, I have a piece of 3" round bar set aside for it.   I would like to see If I can get all those holes in the correct places and the cross drillings without having  to make a second one....

The RCG thread is great, I think 'pattern maker' has passed on but what a good job he made of it!

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2021, 09:56:10 am »

"I would like to see If I can get all those holes in the correct places and the cross drillings without having  to make a second one...."

Perhaps you need a bigger piece just in case the second one doesn't work? Many seem to have been able to work to Stuarts dimensions.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

belli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2021, 07:50:44 pm »

I don't think I will need a bigger piece, just more of them...

I've had to take more than one shot at most things in my life, school, drivers license, marriage, etc but I seem to get there in the end. 

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2021, 06:29:17 am »

Another question.  The drawing shows the distance between centres of the steam passages as 7/32 as well as 9/32.  Which is it?  Am I missing, or misreading something? Any advice on this please?  Thanks.  Brian 

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2021, 05:19:10 pm »

Hi Brian,

Yes it's very confusing the dimensions as shown,  over the years Stuart have redrawn models which eventually have some wrong dimensions and have been notified  to them with no avail.

If you look at the cross section shown in the bottom middle of the drawing, it shows the O/A width as being19/32",  go back to the dimension 7/32" on the steam passage.

Add 7/32+6/32"  = 13/32"+ 6/32"  = 19/32"which corresponds to the 2- 1/8" dia holes running horizontally as  shown at 7/32" apart on the cross section mentioned , so the 7/32" dimension is correct.

However having machined several of these Oscillators I ignore the dimensions and set up thus.

Set the casting in the drill vice at 45Deg, mark off the holes to drill down into the 1/8" dia holes, remembering the one side is opposite to the other. ( see the diagram on the other side of the drawing)
Put your drill in the chuck and bring it so that you can see that it will go thro to break into the 1/8" horizontal hole ( show as 7/32" c.r.s ), lift the drill and bring it over the top of the casting and make sure that when drilling down to the 1/8" hole you cut into the top and bottom steam holes but be absolutely sure that you don't break into the cylinder pivot hole.
Spot drill the holes with your smallest centre drill after checking that you will catch the steam holes and miss the pivot hole.   

You can of coarse check this out using the 7/32" centre if I have not explained my method clearly.

Here is pic of a casting with holes all plugged and Silver soldered in ready to be re machined, this was to help out a friend who just could not get to grips with the dimensions.

Best of luck George.

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2021, 06:35:19 pm »

Hi George, Thank you for that logical explanation. When I have more experience in this, I suppose I could work that out for myself, but having experienced guys around does really make it so much easier.  Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I have decided to use Ray Griffin's method of tackling this engine which is so well set out in the articles he wrote in the Model Engineer a while back. Regards and go well. Brian

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2021, 10:07:13 pm »

Hi Brian,
Can you give me the link to Ray Griffins article please.

George.

Southern Sailor

• Southern Sailor
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2021, 06:27:38 am »

Hi George, I have sent you a personal message.  Cheers for now. Brian

ooyah/2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2021, 09:10:01 am »

Thanks Brian I have responded via P.M.
George
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.