Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACTion P94 set up  (Read 1615 times)

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
ACTion P94 set up
« on: September 09, 2021, 05:51:59 am »

I’m I’m working an old model which has an ACTion P94 mixer in it.  I have the basic P94 instructions but certain parts of the esc are not mentioned.

Firstly, the diagram shows 3 plugs to the throttle, rudder control and rudder servo. However, there is a 4th plug which is not mentioned/shown in the instructions.

Secondly, the mixer has some small switches on one side but these are not mentioned/shown in the instructions.Does anyone know what these are for?

Being an old esc (dated 2008 on the back) can it handle a 3S lipo and is it compatible with modern 2.4 ghz systems? I normally use either Flysky or Hobbyking radios.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: ACTion P94 set up
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 06:33:27 am »

Item 2 are mode switches and are on the p94 data sheet. Just downloaded it.
Can the esc take a lipo. I doubt it, but a phonecall to Ian at Component shop would confirm that.

I use a flysky 2.4 6ch radio on my Daring with an old p94 20 amp esc no problem
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 06:37:48 am »

The above data sheet in the orginal post is a twin motor installation sheet
Link to data sheet
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/p94-dual-esc-and-mixer-2-x-20-amps.html

SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 07:17:28 am »

The receiver must have its own supply voltage usually 5 or 6 volts DO NOT connect a 3s to this!

A 3s LiPo is 12.6 volts fully charged. The P94 does not know what the battery type is, a volt is a volt. So yes 3S is within the voltage range and should be fine for the motors
The instructions actually say 6 to 24 volts for the motors.

The fourth connection point "H2" is explained in this pdf https://www.componentshop.co.uk/pdf/P94.pdf

The dip switches in your picture are set to 100% mixer 1 off 2 on

EDIT
If you are using the p92 distribution board? then yes 3s is fine connected to this and of course it has the BEC for the receiver.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 02:24:22 am »

Interesting that it is a 24 volt esc. So 3S shouldn’t be a problem with voltage.

I have a few 6 volt 950 mah Nimh batteries for my smaller models, so one can be easily carried to power the receiver.

Amps shouldn’t be a problem as I did a simple water tank test and connected the motors straight up to a 3S battery and, in the water, they pulled a total of 5.4 amps with the boat held fast.

Now need to be out of lockdown to actually run it in the water somewhere.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2021, 08:46:27 am »

Run the 5 volt part of the system from a 5 volt supply such as a UBEC from the main battery as shown on the diagram in post #1.  Using 6 volts to power the items plugged into the radio will probably kill them.  A UBEC should be able to regulate a nominal 6 volt battery down to 5.
The only caveat using LiPo with any pre-LiPo gear is that you have to supply your own warning/monitor device.  As long as the volts from the battery are within the range that the ESC is happy with, and the battery can supply the current required, it doesn't matter what chemistry is going on inside that box.  The exception to this is where a circuit requires a limited current and relies on the battery itself to limit the current, but that is not the case here.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 07:49:59 pm »

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/pdf/P94.pdf
Is essential reading, especially the first two pages which do include the important bit about not trying to destroy the radio side by giving it 6 volts or more.  A separate regulator like the P92 or P102 or one of the many UBECs on the market is needed.
Down at the bottom of the instruction sheet there is a mention of some radios that it is not compatible with.  I don't know the true reason, but suspect it might be the way that some radios present their outputs and the way that the P94 mixer reads them.  Old radios present information one channel at a time, some modern ones process their information and present it to their outputs simultaneously, presumably "because".  If the mixer is designed to read one channel at a time and gets presented with everything at once, there is nothing to read when it tries to read the second channel.  Probably over simplified so that I can understand it.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2021, 08:15:29 pm »

I'm afraid that these instructions are rather out of date as probably the majority of receivers and servos will work on 6V. Their input is designed to take a 5 cell NiMh or a 6V SLA without being damaged. Many receivers and servos are now classed as HV or high voltage and will work from a 2S or 7.4V LiPo pack. (I use Hitec receivers where the receiver can be powered by up to 35V although it needs a separate max 6V supply for the servos.) (Although most boat modellers wont pay the extra costs for these as they want to buy the cheapest gear they can get.)
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2021, 09:08:53 am »

While the receivers and many other items are capable of running on higher voltages, a P94 from back then will not have updated itself and will still require the voltage it was designed for.  The instructions are therefore accurate and up to date for the P94, especially the voltage warnings and advice in the area labelled "IMPORTANT"

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2021, 11:42:35 am »

Post #7 was basically about warnings not to supply 6V to receivers and radio gear, no longer a problem with modern equipment. If the P94 can't cope with modern requirements then perhaps its time to replace it.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2021, 12:06:58 pm »

I don't see any reason why the P94 won't cope as long as the specified voltage and amperage limit is not exceeded and you are using a brushed motor of course...

The micro pico speed controller is sensitive to input voltage limits as it drives the prop directly from the receiver supply and has an actual (as opposed to nominal) 6v supply.

Colin

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2021, 04:03:43 am »

The rudder is the problem and is best described as floppy.

If you are on full rudder and you let go of the control, instead of immediately going to the neutral position the rudder actually flops back and forth around the neutral position before stopping at neutral. I tried different receivers and channel positions for the rudder in the receiver but no change. You can actually easily move the rudder off neutral with your hand when it is in the neutral position.

I then tried my normal set up i.e. Mtroniks 15 amp Viper and no problem.  Rudder goes straight back to neutral and can’t be moved by hand.

Weird!

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 12:26:13 pm »

Well probably to late in the day to help but,  I use all Action Gear products[when I can get hold of them]  and 3s lipo's in the system displayed and it has worked  perfectly for years in this format  , and has done on a number of models  ;) .......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 21 queries.