Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > The "Black Arts!" ( Electrics & Electronics )

ACTion P94 set up

<< < (2/3) > >>

malcolmfrary:
Run the 5 volt part of the system from a 5 volt supply such as a UBEC from the main battery as shown on the diagram in post #1.  Using 6 volts to power the items plugged into the radio will probably kill them.  A UBEC should be able to regulate a nominal 6 volt battery down to 5.
The only caveat using LiPo with any pre-LiPo gear is that you have to supply your own warning/monitor device.  As long as the volts from the battery are within the range that the ESC is happy with, and the battery can supply the current required, it doesn't matter what chemistry is going on inside that box.  The exception to this is where a circuit requires a limited current and relies on the battery itself to limit the current, but that is not the case here.

Taranis:
Good point and we are fortunate in the UK to have these so cheaply £10.99 for 5 delivered.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMWAY-Battery-Voltage-Monitor-Checker/dp/B07DC3LH9C/ref=asc_df_B07DC3LH9C/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=232000808334&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12533134919527264706&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006864&hvtargid=pla-635141146765&psc=1

However I just found these that would seem to have evolved £10.99 for four. I like these better myself as they can be stuck in place with double sided tape.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makerfire-Battery-Checker-Low-Voltage-Alarm-100dB/dp/B07SBXVTHW/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d_4/262-0067409-7003256?pd_rd_w=a4bWL&pf_rd_p=f1512742-6a19-4088-9827-09f4d3d40791&pf_rd_r=7YDQ4C4040J6MAZHJEYE&pd_rd_r=f6625b17-c908-4f08-b197-dd634b66a1d1&pd_rd_wg=ki6PI&pd_rd_i=B07SBXVTHW&psc=1

malcolmfrary:
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/pdf/P94.pdf
Is essential reading, especially the first two pages which do include the important bit about not trying to destroy the radio side by giving it 6 volts or more.  A separate regulator like the P92 or P102 or one of the many UBECs on the market is needed.
Down at the bottom of the instruction sheet there is a mention of some radios that it is not compatible with.  I don't know the true reason, but suspect it might be the way that some radios present their outputs and the way that the P94 mixer reads them.  Old radios present information one channel at a time, some modern ones process their information and present it to their outputs simultaneously, presumably "because".  If the mixer is designed to read one channel at a time and gets presented with everything at once, there is nothing to read when it tries to read the second channel.  Probably over simplified so that I can understand it.

JimG:
I'm afraid that these instructions are rather out of date as probably the majority of receivers and servos will work on 6V. Their input is designed to take a 5 cell NiMh or a 6V SLA without being damaged. Many receivers and servos are now classed as HV or high voltage and will work from a 2S or 7.4V LiPo pack. (I use Hitec receivers where the receiver can be powered by up to 35V although it needs a separate max 6V supply for the servos.) (Although most boat modellers wont pay the extra costs for these as they want to buy the cheapest gear they can get.)
Jim

malcolmfrary:
While the receivers and many other items are capable of running on higher voltages, a P94 from back then will not have updated itself and will still require the voltage it was designed for.  The instructions are therefore accurate and up to date for the P94, especially the voltage warnings and advice in the area labelled "IMPORTANT"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version