Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Masking lines when painting waterline.  (Read 2370 times)

bigfella

Masking lines when painting waterline.
« on: January 16, 2008, 10:23:05 am »

Hi all

Now I am swayed by all those who know what they are doing in regards to painting. It would seem that the greater majority on the forum use the grey primer as the paint of choice for Naval craft and the reddish primer for the water line or underside of the boat. Now me wanting to know everything before I start a project would like to know a few things. When you spray the boat with the grey primer you obviously spray the whole boat and then mask off the top half to spray the red primer for the lower half. It has been my experience that when unmasking after the paint job that a visable line and thickness of the differant paint is promanant.  Would the covering in a clear coat fix that problem or just make it stand out more. I want to put a clear coat in satin over the whole boat. Also I hear various brands of clear coat and primers but they all seam to be UK only does anyone know of the Australian equivalent.

Sorry if some or all of these questions have been already covered.

Regards David

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
Re: Masking lines when painting waterline.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:00:55 pm »

Bigfella,

I use Wattyl Satin Clear on my boats, have not had a problem, you can use a paintbrush or spray it on mate................

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 12:44:41 pm »

Just a thought David, when you have masked up ready for the anti fouling it is best to spray over again with the grey before spraying with the red, this will prevent any red creeping back under the tape.  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 06:26:41 pm »

Right simple my friend one of Stav's top tips comming up,yes there is a distinct line between both primers BUT the remedy is simple as soon as you have damasked make sure you have a CLEAN finger does not matter which one and rub with finger along the  join this will flatten the join and will be practically impossible to detect the step.
Oh sorry nearly forgot I usually demask a max of 10 mins aftrer painting so i can do the above method ,and you have to be BRAVE AND GENTLE

Stavros

bigfella

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 10:57:16 pm »

Hi All

Roy: Thanks for you reply O0. I have had a look on Wattyls site and there are two with that name do you mean Wattyl Estapol Polyurethane Satin Clear. as this is the one recommended for bathrooms and kitchens where water is a constant. Also do you know if primers from Super Cheap or Auto barn are any good for the perpose of a Naval finish.

Stavros: Thanks for your tip I will give that a go. I knew you would have a few trade secrets that would help. O0

Richard: thanks for the tip, I  know I would have thrown the boat across the room if it had of bled under the masking. {-) {-)

Regards David

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 07:33:44 am »

Bigfella,

Thanks for the thread. It has answered some of the questions I had about waterlining.

Barry

cbr900

• Full Mayhemer
  • Mayhem is the Only Forum!
    • Roys Hompage
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 12:11:16 pm »

Bigfella,

Yes mate go for the waterproof variety, another way of doing the water line is to paint both colours, then line with pinstripe in the sun, tape sticks better that way then coat with clear, seals all the paint and the tape.................

Roy
I try not to be naughty but nautical
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.