Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New member but not new model boater  (Read 1200 times)

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Potteries Model Boat Club
New member but not new model boater
« on: September 15, 2021, 12:05:42 am »

Hi everyone
This is my first post on this forum. I looked at the beginners section and that isn't quite me. I have been an active model boater since the mid-80's but stopped for one reason or another in around 2005 and I haven't touched a model boat since. So why am I back you might ask?

Despite the fact that I've not really touched a boat since 2005 I maintained my membership of Potteries Model Boat Club - even though I have not been to a single meeting - on the basis that 'you never know'. So I doubt that many of the current membership will know me and its the club AGM tomorrow night and so I just might turn up!

So, why now? Well I would describe myself as an all round modeller, something I started as a child. So for the last 15 years I have got back into my real passion which is plastic model aircraft. I'm a member of the IPMS and I have an unbuilt stash of around 1,500 kits - these things happen! I'm a member of Britmodeller and the Large Scale Planes forums. In January this year I developed an interest in 1/16 r/c tanks so you'll find me on the rctankwarfare site as well. I currently have 8 'improved' tanks and I have 'several more' to tackle.

So why boats? A mate on Britmodeller and I were chatting via Personal Message and the subject of Clyde Puffers came up and I mentioned Caldercraft. Then it was a case of 'How much does a Puffer cost?' and so I looked on that 'money sink' known as eBay for a Caldercraft Puffer. Nothing much of interest there except how much the things cost now (!) But what caught my eye was a built example of Imara, on sale for renovation. Now a friend in PMBC built an Imara 17 or 18 years ago with two Cheddar V4's (or were they V-twin's?) and a big boiler and it was (is?) one hell of a boat. Now I know how much the kit costs new and I'm not that proud when it comes to completing part built models or doing renovations so I decided to have a punt and I won the auction. I'm making a 300 mile round trip tomorrow to pick it up and then I'll know just how good or bad it is but the photos show it has a pair of motors - but I don't know if they're 900's. There's a gel cell battery, a rudder servo and an rx battery pack but no speed controllers. Now, as luck would have it I have a Spectrum T5 combo - I need to find a switch harness and rx battery pack and I need a charger for the Tx (it only runs on 4.8v which is a new one for me!) I also have a Robbe Futaba F14 but I don't know where the Tx pack is - I can see that I cut the molex plug off the dry cell battery holder so I must have a rechargeable pack somewhere! Likewise I should have a pair of Rx's but I can only find one. But I do have the multi switch module and the left and right fore and aft sticks are both rigged as throttle levers (Not a Navy twin stick). I also have an Action Motor/rudder mixer module. So, my plan is to get hold of two 30 amp ESC's to plug into the mixer and to use the T5 system, at least at first. I think the boat deserves a smoke unit  - but which one? - and internal, nav and towing lights and I don't necessarily need these to be controlled by the Tx. It would also be good to have a couple of sound modules but can you get a module for a 3 cylinder steam Plant? Anyway, I find myself back into the r/c model boat saddle and, after 15 years, some things have changed so I definitely have a few questions that need answers! Huzzah!!

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: New member but not new model boater
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 09:37:31 am »

Hi Simon,

I remember you from years ago, nice to hear you are getting back in to it, I too am a member of PMBC (well will be when renew membership next year), I had a break for the last 8 years from building but now changes in life have occurred I am back in to the building,  I am sure there will be plenty who know the ins and outs of the Imara that will answer your questions..

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 10:05:24 am »

Thank you matey, I know you’re right about PMBC - unless things have radically changed!! I’m going to the AGM tonight so we’ll see if they throw me out!!

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 04:53:32 pm »

Welcome aboard and good luck with the journey and I hope all goes well for you.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 07:32:23 pm »

I have an unbuilt stash of around 1,500 kits - these things happen!
Wow, that was careless, buying all those kits.  If it takes a week to build a plastic kit (optimistic estimate in my view), that's nearly 29 years of modelling without a break.   %% %% %% %% %%

I hope you are a bit younger than most of us here or those kits might just stay in the boxes!!

Oh, and welcome to the Mayhem!!!

Greg

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 11:08:27 pm »

Cheers Greg - known as SABLE - Stash Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy !! So you could call me a collector then!! I'm 61 so I suspect that a lot of my acquisitions will find new homes one day!
Many thanks for the welcome, I now have a damned big boat to get moving!

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 11:10:17 pm »

Welcome aboard and good luck with the journey and I hope all goes well for you.
Thank you Perkasaman2!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.