Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: oiler tank  (Read 1152 times)

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
oiler tank
« on: October 26, 2021, 10:29:09 pm »

any one ever use one of these, are they any good, just an idea as it can keep shaft oiled

photo uploader

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
Re: oiler tank
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 11:09:33 pm »

I have never seen a need for a shaft oiler.  Fill the stuffing tube with Lubriplate waterproof grease yearly.  No water leaks, no shaft wear, no oily steaks on the pond.   :-))

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 04:27:12 pm »

The water pressure is enough to stop the oil getting to the shaft, also oil floats on water. If the oil was under pressure you may have a chance if your shaft bushes were worn. If the bushes are good, you would have difficulty getting oil in anyway. I did this sort of thing and hydraulicted the bushes out the shaft. nemesis

RST

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 08:35:33 pm »

Teetering on the brink of another grease vs oil debate which isn't worth going there again.  How much is that kit unless you specifically  don't want to make something?  I've made small oil tanks from whatever before, but I don't use oil on my shafts now.  Personal opinion / experience.

I don't agree with the need not to have a nipple for oil or grease, I almost always fit one now.  It's a no brainer for me over the years unless space or weight is just too tight, but each to their own, and their own application.

Rich

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 09:25:32 pm »

this was just something i saw, going to use the marine grease that was mentioned and see how it goes

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 10:42:24 am »

If the shaft bushings are worn enough to let water in to the tube and float oil away, they are also worn enough to let it drip out when the boat is out of the water.  A reservoir of fresh oil helping push it won't do any harm.  Reservoirs like this have been used for grease, but they always have a screw top.  This is fitted so that turning the top screws it down further and pushes the stored grease.
If a boat is going to be properly maintained as outlined by earlier posters, they are probably an expensive way of doing a job that doesn't need doing, but might look nice.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.