Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Other Technical Questions...

Tightening the turning circle

<< < (2/4) > >>

GG:
KitS,
        Have you looked at the thread "Rudder Rules"  on in the Tutorials section?  It might have some relevant information.

Glynn Guest

justboatonic:

--- Quote from: KitS on September 17, 2021, 09:42:45 am ---It's a 34" RAF Hants & Dorset launch with two 550 type motors, and the rudders are already balanced to an extent. Both are directly astern of the the props by about 7-10 mm.

--- End quote ---
If it isnt fitted already, fit something like an ACTion twin motor mixing esc that SLOWS the inside prop in a turn. This will make any boat turn smoother and better than messing with the rudder.
 If you have escs that just give the same throttle to each motor in a turn, you'll always end up with a bigger turning circle due to the inside prop pushing against the turning momentum introduced by the rudder.

Subculture:
Ensure you have a good 35 degrees of throw each side of neutral.

Twin motors should ideally be spinning the props outwards when going forwards.

If that is the case, and the turning circle is still inadequate, then you can look at throttle biasing and/or increasing rudder area.

Circlip:
What is the turning circle in relation to the full size at speed? If you need a steering based "Kipper box", it's the wrong model. Sadly scale does not scale as far as speed is concerned in the toy world. Just watched a vid of the river class minesweeper, bobs about like a cork and the speed shown would make John Luc Pickard hang on BUT looks good when vid slowed down.

Regards  Ian.

KitS:

--- Quote from: GG on September 17, 2021, 10:18:40 am ---
 Have you looked at the thread "Rudder Rules"  on in the Tutorials section?  It might have some relevant information.

--- End quote ---

I have now Glynn, thanks for the tip. That thread didn't show up in my original search.  :((

It does have lots of useful information and confirms my supposition that the model is inadequately ruddered for its power and length etc.

--- Quote from: Subculture on September 17, 2021, 11:08:31 am ---
Ensure you have a good 35 degrees of throw each side of neutral.

Twin motors should ideally be spinning the props outwards when going forwards.

If that is the case, and the turning circle is still inadequate, then you can look at throttle biasing and/or increasing rudder area.

--- End quote ---

Yes, they both go a bit more than 35 deg, and both props are turning outwards at the top when going forward.

--- Quote from: Circlip on September 17, 2021, 11:35:02 am ---

What is the turning circle in relation to the full size at speed? If you need a steering based "Kipper box", it's the wrong model.

--- End quote ---

Good question, as I have no idea what the turning circle of an H&D was back in the day. The model needs about 20 ft to make a 180 deg turn at 7/8 throttle currently.

I don't need a twin throttle setup, but I wanted to try one to see how it works. I'm building a much larger, and slower, model which hopefully will have a similar setup, but with a bow thruster as well, and I wanted to do a smaller model as a test bed.

I bought a couple of slightly larger rudders at Deans Marine's event today, so I'll give them a try soon.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version