Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suitable motor wiring?  (Read 1411 times)

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Potteries Model Boat Club
Suitable motor wiring?
« on: September 19, 2021, 12:28:31 pm »

This is a bit basic but I need to get some wire for my tug. Twin CEM 900’s on 12v through an Mtronic 30 amp ESC. So what wire would you recommend and where from please?

Rich griff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Suitable motor wiring?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 01:26:51 pm »

Check out component shop on the internet, they may sell suitable wire by the meter...

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 01:56:16 pm »

Yes, Component Shop. Their very flexible silicon wire is ideal and the 12 or 14swg sizes should be fine. Continuous current ratings are given but not at what voltage.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/cable/silicon-cables.html

Colin

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 03:10:42 pm »

Thanks guys. Just bought a roll of red and one of black - 12 gauge. Not sure how much on a roll but it looks quite a bit. Now I think I need a new soldering iron to get enough heat into that multi strand stuff!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 03:38:59 pm »

Glynn Guest has reminded me that the current carrying capacity of wire doesn't vary with the voltage - I was proably confusing it with switch contacts where high voltage can cause arcing.

Simon, yes, that wire does need quite a bit of heat to solder! However you can use Wago connectors for some joints. Have a look at post #65 onwards on this thread:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,48284.msg700636.html#new

Colin

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 12:17:48 am »

I’m afraid I’m old fashioned Colin, I like solder but I’ll use chocolate block connectors in between the motors an speed controllers and I really aught to fit fuses between motor and esc to protect the esc’s - too expensive to fry!!

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 08:58:08 am »

Hi
Over the years I have picked up a lot of different leads that are used with computer's, that is what I use to wire the motors in my boats, if it can take 240 volts then it can take 6/12 volts.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 11:29:17 am »

Fair point Fred but I tend to worry more about the amps than the volts! The stuff I've ordered should be fine though. Now Ive got to find a charger for my Planet T5 transmitter. Bought 15 years ago and not powered up until today. Only 4 x AA's, very odd in my book!! And a 1.5mm pin in the Tx socket so I'm scrabbling around to find a 4.8v charger with that sort of plug!!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 11:48:37 am »

If they are individual AA cells and it is a 2.4Ghz TX you might as well just use alkaline cells. Better voltages and last a long time.

Another alternative which I use is the low self discharge rechargeables:

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/aa-2500mah-nimh-low-self-discharge-batteries-pk-4.html

I just use a plug in wall charger to charge them out of the Transmitter.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 12:10:05 pm »

If you have an independent motorists supply shop nearby they are a good source of electrical things we use including wiring, fuses etc.   Otherwise I use The Component Shop for batteries.
Do not be seduced by cheap batteries from China!  What is printed on the battery is mainly fiction.
regards
Roy

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 12:23:33 pm »

If they are individual AA cells and it is a 2.4Ghz TX you might as well just use alkaline cells. Better voltages and last a long time.

Another alternative which I use is the low self discharge rechargeables:

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/aa-2500mah-nimh-low-self-discharge-batteries-pk-4.html

I just use a plug in wall charger to charge them out of the Transmitter.

Colin

Thanks Colin, I'm so used to the idea of plugging a charger into the Tx and the thought that taking batteries out of tx's regularly isn't a good idea! But at that price for 4 AA's thats cheap as hinds. Ive actually got 4 1300Mah AA's in a wall charger right now so I may live with that but if I can find a suitable charger - for about £5 I imagine? - then I'll got for it!

SimonCornes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 12:24:51 pm »

If you have an independent motorists supply shop nearby they are a good source of electrical things we use including wiring, fuses etc.   Otherwise I use The Component Shop for batteries.
Do not be seduced by cheap batteries from China!  What is printed on the battery is mainly fiction.
regards
Roy
Thanks Roy. I was thinking about Halfords or an independent for some spade connectors! I need to have a dig through my existing radio gear to see what I already have - its been awhile!
Simon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.