Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viper 15 ESC not working  (Read 2011 times)

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Viper 15 ESC not working
« on: September 19, 2021, 10:03:00 pm »

I've bought several of these in recent years, a couple are OK but three of them no longer work - they just turn the motor on full blast.  Have I done something wrong, or am I just unlucky, or are they a bad buy?

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Viper 15 ESC not working
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 10:18:35 pm »

I have quite a few Mtroniks ESCs. The only ones that have failed were down to me. Don't ask just stupidity. Mine died totally, you seem to have a circuit. Have you contacted Mtroniks with your problem, might be a good idea.
Don't Assume Check

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 10:42:36 pm »

I've never had a failure with mtronics either, so 3 at once is probably something else. Have a look at the set up for whatever models you've got on the website.
 I'm presuming you're following the most basic rule, transmitter on first, then receiver and esc.

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2021, 08:51:03 pm »

The MOSFETS in the speed controller are the component that switches the power to the motor. When they fail they tend to go short circuit and run the motor at full speed constantly. If you are looking for a replacement, I suggest that you go for something with a higher current rating.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 09:17:04 am »

I used to use these but have had 2 fail and spray molten solder out of the casing and recently another 1 caught fire. I would love to use British made but just dont trust them now.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 11:29:44 am »

I have had one failure with an Mtroniks ESC. It was replaced without hesitation by my local model shop where I had bought it (Howes). The replacement is still working faultlessly.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 12:01:06 pm »

I've 3 of them, and there must be a dozen others in the club. I've never had or seen a fault. I've seen one fail through being incorrectly connected, that was quite fun, a dead short on the output, and lots of amps in.
 There has never been anything manufactured that can't fail, but in my opinion, Mtronics are superb in quality and service.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2021, 01:35:13 pm »

I must have used a dozen, and only two failures. The first was replaced without question by MTroniks. The second will be returned when I get around to it.

RST

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2021, 10:04:26 pm »

I am not a fan of Mtronics not always liking the full signal from 3 of my different radios but that's a different story.  In terms of reliability I don't find them much better or worse in terms of quality or reliability than most other ESC's over the years -cheap Asian copies / unbranded ESC's excluded.

That said...

I must have used a dozen, and only two failures.

I don't find that a particularly reassuring or good ratio to be honest.

Rich

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 08:43:50 am »

Post the defective unit off to Mtronics, eventually a replacement will arrive with no covering paperwork.
Over time they have replaced 3 for me.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2021, 10:53:16 am »

Howes are selling Viper 15s for just over £20 at the moment.

Colin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2021, 12:59:29 pm »

I've bought several of these in recent years, a couple are OK but three of them no longer work - they just turn the motor on full blast.  Have I done something wrong, or am I just unlucky, or are they a bad buy?
Obvious questions, are you following the set up procedure correctly ie trims at neutral, dont touch the Tx sticks during initialisation etc? The only issue Ive ever had with MTroniks was with an old radio that had no reverse function. Otherwise, they have worked with every radio set Ive owned and when they didnt, I caused the issue.

Are you using these with 3S lipos? A 3S will supply more than the esc's rated 12v. The other likelihood is your current draw is in excess of the Viper's 15 amp. This will be due to something like running too big a motor, a big prop on a heavy model or maybe excess friction in a bent prop shaft in tube.
These esc's are pretty bomb proof but if they are buried in a model and overheat, you can have issues, same as with any other make.

richardabeattie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2021, 01:20:01 pm »

Many thanks to all who have replied.  But many of the replies overlook the fact that I have a number of other Viper 15s in similar models with similarly low powered motors, all running perfectly well.  I have given up on the three defective ones and simply transfer the good ones from boat to boat as required.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2021, 07:45:56 am »

I have used Vipers for many years with no problems. I spoke to you about the problems you are having and advised you to to contact Mtroniks direct for advise. I terms of speed controllers I have bought many types over the years and they all all good points and bad points. I hope you get the problems resolved.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.