The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Yachts and Sail

Cutty Sark

(1/82) > >>

dlancast:
Dear Folks,

Well, I finally got my winter project, a kit of the famous clipper ship "Cutty Sark".  Kit manufacture is Artsentia Latina and I believe the scale is 1/86.  She will be a static plank on bulkhead model.  Approx 4ft long and 3-1/2ft tall.  As with any kit, there will be some inaccuracies, but due to the enormous amount of information on this ship, plus, she is still alive today, I should be able to do a fair rendering of her in my model.   Yes, I have built clippers before, its a huge task, but the kind of challenge that I love in this hobby.  As soon as I get my shop in order for the build to start, I will send pictures.  I predict this build will take me about one year to complete.  Hope you folks don't get bored with me.   Cheers to all and trust all is well.  Dennis

rnli12:
Dennis,Great and look forward to this build as with all your others.
Regards,
Rich

dlancast:
Well, the fun begins.  Laser cut bulkheads are very precise, so makes for a good base to start.  As with every single planked hull, I find the spacing between the bulkheads are a bit too far apart.  So, I will be filling in the spaces with balsa wood before fairing the hull true.  This will make for a nice solid base to lay the planks.  i was pleased to discover that the masts rake looks accurate at 86 and 87 degs.  Dennis

dlancast:
more.

dlancast:
I picked up a used copy of this great book.... The Cutty Sark,  The ship and a model, by C. Nepean Longridge.   Two volumes in 1933, combined and published in 1975.  Very good and very accurate. Lots of pics and plates, line drawings from Underhill, etc.  It will be my main ref.  Dennis

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version