Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutty Sark  (Read 50850 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cutty Sark
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2022, 10:00:14 pm »

more.

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2022, 10:56:11 pm »

Bit by bit, it all adds up.
While the rigging can be (is) a bit of a chore, ya gotta admit, the clippers under full sail were beautiful vessels.
Only clipper I ever built was a large plastic model back in the 1970s or maybe early 80s.
Was it Revell who had the Cutty Sark and USS Constitution in both large-medium and rather large sizes, with the rather large size having cabin interiors and some figures?

"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2022, 12:04:31 am »

Finally, all backstays are installed. Working on the foremast Fairleads for the backstays now, then will be moving on to install all three jibs before beginning yard assembly.  At the same time, in the back of my mind, I am designing a case to build to house this model.  It will be large at 4ft long, 30 inches high and about 17" wide (inside dims.). I looked at purchasing a  prebuilt case and costs were pushing $1,000 U.S.  A bit too steep for me to pay and I have the tools and skills to build my own, so I will.  I think this model will deserve something special. Cheers!  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: September 15, 2022, 12:05:03 am »

more.

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: September 15, 2022, 01:08:35 am »

I looked at purchasing a  prebuilt case and costs were pushing $1,000 U.S.  A bit too steep for me to pay and I have the tools and skills to build my own, so I will.  I think this model will deserve something special.
It does, Dennis, all the effort you are putting in to it certainly does deserve shielding from dust, critters, and stray elbows.
"If it is something that you can make use of, that's a bonus, but the real value is in the creation." Steve Bennett; Sidelines

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #280 on: September 18, 2022, 05:12:51 am »

Foremast Staysail is mounted, just have to rig in the clew lines and then its on to the other two jibs.  Dennisi

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #281 on: September 18, 2022, 08:39:00 pm »

Unbelievable work Dennisi, yes with your skills build your own case because it will be really worth it for your magnificent work   :-))
Steamed up all the time

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #282 on: September 23, 2022, 05:15:02 am »

Jibsail has just been installed, attaching bolt rope to the flying jib, which is next.  Then will start the yards.  Have been slowly adding depth markers to the bow using photo-etch roman numerals.  Very tedious and slow process.  Have the port bow to do as well as the stern.  Dennis

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #283 on: September 23, 2022, 10:02:17 pm »

I love this build - You just don't see this level of skill and dedication on rigging very often......amazing  :-))

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #284 on: September 25, 2022, 05:39:11 am »

the Flying Jib has been installed.  Now that all three head sails are installed, I can move on to building the yards.  I have decided to assembly line all of the yards for the model at one massive go of it, instead of making yards for each mast, installing, etc.  I am a believer that practice makes perfect, so the repetitive nature of making all those yards will improve my skills and make for better detail work.  I need to give more thought as to how I wish to install the yards, be it starting with the mizzen mast and moving forward or to begin with the foremast lower yard and move aft.  Its easy to get boxed in with the rigging if one is not careful.  Plans call for the foremast first method.  I will also be hanking on each sail to its yard before installing to the mast and then brailing up the sail as needed for better visibility of rigging detail, etc. Much to think about and consider.  The fun really begins now folks.  Of course all outside braces will be done last, which is logical.  ;)   Second round of chemo starts on Monday, no clue how I will be feeling, but so far, I can do the job and it keeps my mind off of things.  Cheers!  Dennis

ScottW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #285 on: September 25, 2022, 08:45:48 am »

Here's wishing you healing and feeling okay.
That bit about getting boxed in is a prime thing which intimidates me about multi-mast sailing ships.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #286 on: September 25, 2022, 02:46:26 pm »

Thankyou Scott,  yes, and it takes some planning and even then, reaching through rigging to attach rigging requires patience and special tools, which I have made some time ago.  I don't know about the patience part..... >>:-(    Cheers,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2022, 08:49:58 pm »

Starting with the Foremast lower yard.  Just about have it assembled, just needs Jackstay, footropes, blocks and finish the stunsail booms and paint.  Then 16 more to do.  This will take a few months.  Its keeping me busy and mind off of things. Cheers, Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2022, 08:50:51 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2022, 08:51:34 pm »

more.

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #290 on: September 27, 2022, 09:38:02 am »

Very impressed with the metal fittings, much more accurate than the rather crude ones in the Billings kit. Should keep you busy for a while as you say. I seem to remember the stunsail booms were called passaree booms I think in Longridge’s book.
“Cutty Sark”; “Bounty”;”Northlight” puffer;”Lifeboat B101”;”Fifie”

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #291 on: September 27, 2022, 02:11:49 pm »

Yes, fittings are not bad, but it appears they shorted me a few, so, some scratch building will be required at some point.  interesting name for the sprit booms and logical, since they moved in and out.  Speaking of which, there is a complete mechanical device that was used for that purpose that I am not showing on this model.  I also had to sort out the fact that some of the booms where on the top of the yards and some hung below.  I had to verify the correctness of the kit instructions against books and plans that I have and discovered the kit plans are accurate in this regard.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #292 on: September 29, 2022, 09:49:34 pm »

Reef points going in on the foremast lower main course sail.  Hole is made in the sail, Knot tied in the thread, a spot of fast glue and in she goes, then cut to length both sides.  Also all the jackstays, stirrups and footropes are installed on the foremast lower yard.  My dear first mate has volunteered to sew the sail onto the jackstay very soon now, then she will be ready to mount to the mast and using the bunt lines, the sail will be partiallly furled.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #293 on: September 29, 2022, 09:50:06 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: September 30, 2022, 10:30:33 pm »

Foremast lower main course now sewn on to the yard thanks to my dear first mate.. Bonnie O0 Now to attach buntlines and get this baby mounted to the mast.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #295 on: October 01, 2022, 03:23:48 am »

Ok, got the yard and sail mounted, pin and chain attached to the yard crane... the only thing holding it up there for the moment.  All four buntlines are installed, but still need to run through blocks on mast and secured at the fife rail.  I will attempt to do a partial furl of the sail to see how it looks.  At least that is what the plans call for and I like the idea for better visibility of rigging and detail.  Full sail can cover up alot of stuff on a model, so I will use judgement as to how to present the sails as we go along.  Big step made today and I am very happy. ;)   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #296 on: October 01, 2022, 03:24:20 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: October 02, 2022, 03:11:35 am »

Rigging in the foremast lower course buntlines.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #298 on: October 02, 2022, 03:12:12 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: October 02, 2022, 03:12:55 am »

more.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.