Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutty Sark  (Read 50865 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cutty Sark
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2022, 04:59:16 am »

Goodness Dennis....

The Main Top-Sails appear bloomed as if caught by a wind or breeze %)  [especially with the mirror image] :o

Do you set the sails by a fan, then apply a wash [watered white glue] ?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2022, 06:29:40 am »

Hi Derek, all sail shaping is being done by hand.  The staysails all have bolt ropes glued onto the perimeter of the sail, which helps in shaping.  It really was not my intent to have the model depicted with the wind blowing on the sails, but it just kind of worked out that some of them I was able to shape and in the same direction.  The foremast main course I am attempting to show being furled, so it will have a curved shape to it.  No treatment is being used on the sail fabric.  I thought of using a fan and spraying with starch to make the sails bellow, but didn't do it.  Its kind of learn as you go sort of thing.  This will be my first clipper ship model rigged fully with sails.  Its been interesting and very challenging.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #302 on: October 03, 2022, 11:14:16 pm »

Ok, the foremast lower course is finally installed. All Braces, Clew lines, Buntlines and Sheets are in.  Yard Arm Pendant chain (19 links/inch) are in.  I have partially furled the sail to give better visibility.  Next is the Lower Fore Topsail, start the entire process over again.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #303 on: October 03, 2022, 11:15:05 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #304 on: October 07, 2022, 04:24:27 am »

Fore topsail yard completed. Sail ready to be hand sown onto the jackstay.  Then, its mount and rig.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #305 on: October 07, 2022, 04:25:05 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #306 on: October 10, 2022, 02:24:09 am »

the Fore Lower Topsail yard and sail are now mounted.  I just installed the STBD clew sheet line and chain and move on to the port side next.  Its getting a bit tight to get to the respective tie points, but special tools do help.  Still, the room does turn a bit blue from time to time.  %% Dennis  Great respect to the engineers and sailors of old.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #307 on: October 10, 2022, 02:24:57 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #308 on: October 11, 2022, 12:17:22 am »

Fore lower Topsail braces have been installed.  Next is to make the upper Fore Topsail yard.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2022, 12:18:04 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #310 on: October 13, 2022, 11:07:18 pm »

Upper fore topsail Yard is complete and ready for its sail.  Dennis

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2022, 04:24:03 pm »

You know what - One of the hardest things to do in model ship building is making the sails look real.  Thats why so many ship builders (me in particular) plan to build either without full masts or make plain spars.  You just do not see many ship models that are with the full complement of sails.

I think that sums up this amazing work - beautiful job Dennis.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2022, 06:23:07 pm »

Gobsmacked........ :-))
Steamed up all the time

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2022, 06:47:59 pm »

Well, I sure agree with that and thankyou.  99% of my sailing ship models have been bare spared.  A number of years ago, I built a British Cutter with full sail, that would be full gaff main, topsail and jibs.  I made the sails out of Silkspan and had my wife sew in the seam lines and reef lines.  For the scale, Silkspan was the closest I could get.  Usually, the biggest issue with models with sails has been the scale of the cloth used.  This kit has pre-sewn sails and I think the material is balloon cloth.  At least its close, but still it is too thick.  I considered making my own out of silkspan, but could not resist trying the kit sails.  They are boarder-line ok, so I am forging ahead.  I'm attempting to give them a bit of "life", as if a small breeze was affecting them, rather than just hang there.  There are all sorts of techniques one can use to "fill" a model sail, varnish with a fan, etc.  But, I'm just doing it on the fly if you will.  Works for me.  What is amazing me is the huge increase in rigging and I'm still leaving out a few lines as it is.  Thanks again for the comments.  Cheers... Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #314 on: October 14, 2022, 10:27:09 pm »

Upper Fore Topsail is sewn on and Buntlines have been installed.  Time to mount to the Foremast.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #315 on: October 14, 2022, 11:16:08 pm »

Upper fore topsail has been installed.  Now have to block down the halyard, add sheet lines, attach clews and secure all four buntlines. Then its on to the Fore Topgallant.  Up and up we go.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #316 on: October 14, 2022, 11:16:45 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #317 on: October 15, 2022, 10:52:31 pm »

Fore upper topsail STBD braces installed, as is the upper topsail halyard secured.  This is becoming a "nest" of running rigging and this is just the foremast sail work.  How did the crew ever keep lines straight as to what did what and were??  I'm learning, line by line and still have great respect for the engineering knowledge of the sailors of yesteryear.  Next is to do the port braces.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #318 on: October 15, 2022, 10:53:20 pm »

more.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #319 on: October 16, 2022, 11:58:40 am »

Fore upper topsail STBD braces installed, as is the upper topsail halyard secured.  This is becoming a "nest" of running rigging and this is just the foremast sail work.  How did the crew ever keep lines straight as to what did what and were??  I'm learning, line by line and still have great respect for the engineering knowledge of the sailors of yesteryear.  Next is to do the port braces.  Dennis
This is why the first jobs of a new sailor was to learn the ropes, they had to be able to put their hands on the correct line every time, even at night and in a storm. As a help the lines were always arranged in the same way, each mast would always have the lines in the same order so once you learned the ropes for one mast you knew where they were for them all. Also line belaying positions were generally standard from one ship to another so a sailor could move from one ship to another and not have to relearn the ropes. Even naval ships used the same line positioning so a sailor could move from a naval ship to a civilian one and vice versa and know where everything was.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #320 on: October 16, 2022, 02:25:48 pm »

Thankyou Jim.  Sure makes sense to me.  I'm doing my best to run the lines where they are supposed to be based on my research books, but I'm afraid it will not be 100% correct.  Sure wish I had one of those old sailors of old to be looking over my shoulder.  Kit plans are horrible for this part, but i do have some good ref. books and a set of Campbells plans from the museum.  Cheers,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #321 on: October 19, 2022, 11:21:00 pm »

Foremast Topgallant yard and sail installed.  Still need to secure buntlines, halyard, yard supports and braces.  One more sail to go for the foremast.
Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #322 on: October 19, 2022, 11:21:50 pm »

more.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #323 on: October 20, 2022, 12:34:32 pm »

Looking really good, unfortunately too late now but it would have looked even better if you had set the yards at an angle instead of at 90 degrees. Angling the yards would have made it look less static and the change in the angle from the lower to the topmost yards would add interest. It wouldn't have need too much of an angle, maybe around 20 to 30 degrees.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #324 on: October 20, 2022, 02:25:59 pm »

Good point Jim, in fact I have induced a slight angle to STBD that slowly increases as you go up.  My pics don't show it and its probably too slight.  Braces are glued down now, so I won't try to induce more, but maybe give the main yards a bit more.  Cheers, Dennis
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.