Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Down

Author Topic: Cutty Sark  (Read 49683 times)

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
Cutty Sark
« on: September 21, 2021, 11:38:11 pm »

Dear Folks,

Well, I finally got my winter project, a kit of the famous clipper ship "Cutty Sark".  Kit manufacture is Artsentia Latina and I believe the scale is 1/86.  She will be a static plank on bulkhead model.  Approx 4ft long and 3-1/2ft tall.  As with any kit, there will be some inaccuracies, but due to the enormous amount of information on this ship, plus, she is still alive today, I should be able to do a fair rendering of her in my model.   Yes, I have built clippers before, its a huge task, but the kind of challenge that I love in this hobby.  As soon as I get my shop in order for the build to start, I will send pictures.  I predict this build will take me about one year to complete.  Hope you folks don't get bored with me.   Cheers to all and trust all is well.  Dennis

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cutty Sark
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 04:27:57 am »

Dennis,Great and look forward to this build as with all your others.
Regards,
Rich
Regards,

Rich

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 05:44:24 am »

Well, the fun begins.  Laser cut bulkheads are very precise, so makes for a good base to start.  As with every single planked hull, I find the spacing between the bulkheads are a bit too far apart.  So, I will be filling in the spaces with balsa wood before fairing the hull true.  This will make for a nice solid base to lay the planks.  i was pleased to discover that the masts rake looks accurate at 86 and 87 degs.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:44:50 am »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2021, 10:01:14 pm »

I picked up a used copy of this great book.... The Cutty Sark,  The ship and a model, by C. Nepean Longridge.   Two volumes in 1933, combined and published in 1975.  Very good and very accurate. Lots of pics and plates, line drawings from Underhill, etc.  It will be my main ref.  Dennis

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2021, 09:55:39 am »

His sister book on HMS Victory is definitely worth reading if ever contemplating a build O0

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2021, 05:30:02 am »

Subdecks are now mounted and glued.  Interesting way to do it.  Bulkheads were slipped into slots on keelson without glue.  The subdecks were then nailed on, which secured the bulkheads, while maintaining squareness and proper alignment.  Then glue was added to all the seams which then locked in the entire unit.  Very strong and true, as it should be prior to any planking.  Of course, I will be deviating from procedure and filling in the spaces between bulkheads with 10x13mm strips of balsa wood, which will be faired and provide a good, solid foundation for planking.  Cheers, Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 01:37:02 am »

Balsa filler strips now going in.  Dennis

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2021, 05:33:45 am »

My school (Training Ship HMS Worcester) owned Cutty Sark and she was moored close to us and we used her for training purposes. We manned her through WW2 with a skeleton crew. The rest of the school evacuated to “Footscray” place until the end of the war. Later she went from Worcester up to Greenwich.

Jerry C.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 04:31:52 pm »

Tks for sharing that Jerry.  Is that HMS Victory moored next to the Cutty Sark?  What an experience to remember.  Dennis

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2021, 11:54:25 pm »

No, that’s HMS Worcester 11, moored off Greenhithe Kent, my training ship and home for three years from fourteen. An excellent preparation for my time at sea. I joined Worcester 111 in 64. Tough but I wouldn’t have missed it for the world.

Jerry C.

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 10:36:41 am »

Longridge’s book is an excellent guide and the model is on display in the Glasgow museum of transport. The detail is excellent and fills in the gaps left by kits.
“Cutty Sark”; “Bounty”;”Northlight” puffer;”Lifeboat B101”;”Fifie”

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2021, 05:47:09 am »

Just so you dear folks can know that I'm not slacking here.  Filler sticks take time.  Too many projects, too little time. But am getting there.  Take care,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 07:35:59 pm »

Finally, all the wood sticks are glued in.  Gee, I now have a solid hull to fair.  That will hopefully start tomorrow.  There is a method to my madness, as I will have a nice base on which to lay my planks.  Things will begin to move once that planking starts.  Take care all,  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2021, 11:25:03 pm »

Deck planking will go down before hull planking, so I have started with the poop deck.  My technique is to cut individual planks to length and then lay down in standard stagger formation.  For caulking at this scale, I use lead pencil and scribe along the edge of each plank as I go.  I decided to take the extra step and actually wood peg my planks with the tip of a toothpick which is inserted into a pre-drilled hole with some fast glue and then snip off the excess and sand smooth.  Of note, the Cutty Sark deck planks only had one peg per plank confirmed.  And so it goes.    Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2021, 11:25:40 pm »

more.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2021, 11:42:05 pm »

Dear Folks, I know this is off subject, but I just wanted to toot my horn a bit.  Over a five year period, I built 5 U.S. WW2 Aircraft Carriers.  Because I am running out of space in my home for all these models, a good friend suggested that I donate those models to the U.S. Navy and so I contacted the Commanding Officer of NAS Whidbey Island which is relatively close by.  This base serves several Navy Carriers.  I was contacted several months ago, one of the officers came to my home and saw the collection and said that the Navy is interested but that it would take maybe a year to get approval.  Well, after many months, I was finally given the go ahead to bring the models to the base just the other day. I was totally blown away by the attention and graciousness of the officers I met.  The skipper was most kind and now my models are displayed in prominent locations on the base.  Its possible that they will go on tour throughout the U.S. by the Navy Historical Division.  I will attempt to post a couple of pics of the event.  Thanks for listening.  Dennis  Oh... yes, I served in the U.S. Navy from 65 to 69 and served aboard the USS Ranger CVA-61 and also served in country Vietnam just at the end of the major Tet offensive.

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2021, 11:42:54 pm »

more

rnli12

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2021, 06:08:43 am »

Dennis,
A fitting recognition by US Service personnel with all your modelling skills, well done.
Next one?

Regards,
Rich
Regards,

Rich

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2021, 11:28:09 pm »

The Forrest for the Trees....  I'll bet the toothpick manufacturers never thought their product would be used like this instead of olives. {-)
Wood pegs are in on the poop deck.  Moving onto the waterways on the maindeck and deck planking.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2021, 11:28:41 pm »

more

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 04:03:14 am »

Main deck has now been planked and wood pegging process has started. Slow and steady.  Drill hole, put glue on end of toothpick, stick in hole.....   Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 09:15:27 pm »

Deck planking is finished and treenailed. Waterways are painted grey, as they were concrete on the real ship.  I have started the hull planking with the port side deck level.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2021, 08:13:32 pm »

Hull planking continues.  2x5mm Sapelle planking is very thick and strong.  I now understand why the kit manufactures felt that they could space the frames as wide as they did.  I still like my method of filling the space between with balsa.  gives a nice firm platform to lay and glue the planks, plus, gives a good foundation to pin the planks down with very little nailing and hole drilling.  I am working on strake level four at the moment.  Takes time, but I sure enjoy the process.  Trust you folks are all well.  Dennis

dlancast

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2021, 12:12:04 am »

Plank level five.    Dennis
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 22 queries.