Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: RNLI Pestering  (Read 3517 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
RNLI Pestering
« on: September 23, 2021, 06:59:53 pm »

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Mrs B and I have a joint 'Offshore' RNLI membership which we have kept on despite giving up full time boating many years ago. We absolutely admire the efforts of the RNLI crews and are very happy to support them with a pretty substantial lump sum each year.

But more recently we seem to be the target of additional requests for more money, usually in the form of pleas from named coxswains with associated photos. Today we both got separate letters from the RNLI asking us to remember them in our wills and not for the first time. No doubt they have latched on to our early 70s age. (thanks very much!)

I'm afraid that our legacies will be to our daughters who are both struggling to fund a home of their own. I don't mind the occasional request for a bit extra but the constant emails and letters are beginning to get a bit irritating. The 'Wills' request went straight into the bin. The RNLI used to be a bit more subtle in asking for a litle extra but now they seem to be full on.

Colin

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: RNLI Pestering
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2021, 07:20:37 pm »

I agree with you Colin. I have made a monthly donation for many years but find the increasing amount of extra requests somewhat annoying. As with many organisations these days once they have your address or Email details it is non stop.
John

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2021, 08:24:36 pm »

Yes, made a donation the other year and have in the last few months received letters about every two weeks, I return them gone away etc etc but still they come, must cost a fortune.  %%

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 10:01:28 pm »

Their upper management is now "professional" rather than retired businessmen etc.
This has brought a commercial aspect to everything and is not popular.   

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 10:50:25 pm »

Regardless of who or what organisation approaches never consider Leaving a percentage in a will by all means a fixed amount should you wish but never the former. My neighbour made that mistake. Within days of his exit the charity was straight in insisting on an inventory of his assets 3 valuations of the property and that had to be done they weren't asking.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 12:50:48 am »

Colin, I have found the same situation with a number of charitable organisations over here, too. We make a monthly automatic donation to Red Cross, yet we frequently get letters asking us to increase the amount, as well as numerous phone calls. The calls became so frequent that I had to block the number. A similar situation arose with the Salvation Army, and the RSPCA, both very worthy causes, but they were persistent, bordering on badgering. It seems that once a charity identifies a willing donor they regard that donor as an easy target. I often wonder how much money is wasted in asking for more money.

Peter.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 01:49:59 am »

My wife, on our behalf, gives to a few charities but it is the unsolicited ones that we get in the mail, often with a "gift" that are most annoying.   "Return to Sender" does not seem to work.  >:-o   We refuse to give to phone callers and our answering machine cuts out a lot of fake calls

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 03:13:12 am »

For Peter & BrianB6

......some years ago I made a small donation to a Registered Charitable organisation [@ a biggest morning tea]
Within a month, I was hounded by Surf Life Saving of Australia, NSW Blackdog Foundation, the RFDS and few more

It became obvious my donor details has been sold to other Telemarketing Companies with the Telephone callers employed on a commission basis

I questioned one Chap "calling on behalf of the Royal Flying Doctor Service', if he could find me on the RFDS database as a Donor?.........he could not, nor did he  :embarrassed:  know any detail of some of the Principal RFDS sponsors

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 07:02:23 am »

We used to have 'Chuggers' on the street trying to get donations and an investigation revealed that a monthly donation did not start to get to the Charity until halfway through the second year. 

They have started coming around on house calls now.  I was asked last week by a girl caller if I had heard of the Red Cross!!!
I do contribute to a minor charity and as has been said the letters and emails have been increasing of late.  It is symptomatic of the times less people out and about and the reduced usage of coins. 

I was prepared to contribute to a charity a few weeks ago and said that I had no coins.  I was offered a contactless payment option, minimum amount £5.00!!!!!  What do they expect?
Regards
Roy

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 09:02:45 am »

I made a donation to a cancer charity and in two weeks they wrote to me. Asking if I would like
to set up a direct debit donation account, barefaced cheek.

Didn’t the RNLI give £160,000 to other countries not long ago?

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 11:18:02 am »

Regardless of who or what organisation approaches never consider Leaving a percentage in a will by all means a fixed amount should you wish but never the former. My neighbour made that mistake. Within days of his exit the charity was straight in insisting on an inventory of his assets 3 valuations of the property and that had to be done they weren't asking.

Jaymac is quite right. Leaving a percentage to charity is an Executor's nightmare. Never, ever, do this.

Colin

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2021, 12:28:27 pm »

Hi All

My wife(HANDBRAKE) is in a small group of Care Quilters which they make quilts from donated material and they make the quilts.
These are pass out to a number of charities and to date have donated 1000 quilts !!!!

So she has a hobby and charity all in one.

As for all the other charities it's NO and/or I block their call numbers.

Canabus

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2021, 02:18:31 pm »

I had the same from the RNLI, I donate a small amount each month by direct debit.. About 4 months ago I had numerous calls & letters asking to increase my monthly donation. It got to the stage that I considered it harassment so I cancelled the DD. Since cancelling I had 1 more call asking why the DD was cancelled so I told them, I then followed up telling them to remove my tel no. from their system advising them I had signed up for the TPS service & fair play to them the calls did stop, although the letters still arrive regularly which are filed (unopened) in the recycling bin. I haven't renewed it & I probably won't..

Paul..

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2021, 04:15:28 pm »

Personally, this kind of aggressive revenue collection (call it what it is) takes the little warm glow out of planned charitable giving. I will put money in a box, but I am no longer willing to sign up for anything charity related. Call me an old curmudgeon.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2021, 08:24:00 pm »

I was a member of the RNLI for 30 plus years. For 20 years I was a scuba diver (now retired after the onset of bouts of stress/anxiety)

A few years ago I became aware of their funding distribution policy and as I strongly disagreed with this, along with other decisions which I considered to be "PC madness" or in a more modern term "wokeness gone mad", I decided to cancel my membership.

One quick phone call was all it took, with no questions as to why I was doing it.

For some time afterwards I still received a copy of their magazine and some mail shots asking for bequests or donations but these have now thankfully stopped.

It's only my personal opinion but, I have been getting increasingly disillusioned over the years upon hearing of the giant salaries that this and other charities pay their top dogs.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2021, 11:07:26 pm »

I wonder if there is an easy way of finding out if a charity you are thinking of donating to does its fundraising by supporters and committed volunteers' or employs a firm of Fundraising Consultants who do it for them and take a slice of your contribution ?  ( http://afc.org.uk/our-members/ ).
 I have long supported the K&S Air Ambulance and have always hoped it is the former but not so sure now as of late I am getting a lot of bumph and things like books of raffle tickets .
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2021, 10:17:33 am »

We support a few charities via DD, small amounts to a few rather than a lot to one. And yes we get phone calls, emails and letters asking for more. The phone calls are politely answered with "We're paying you as much as we can, please don't ask again or we'll give to a different charity instead of you." Some get the message, some don't and they lose out. Any emails and letters get blasted into the next universe! :)

RNLI gets money in the collection boxes from my wife and me, and the historical group that I run always has a stall at the annual Lifeboat Summer Fayre, for which we pay a pitch fee. We happily take that 'loss' from our funds on the chin, as all our members have some connection to the RNLI. Newhaven is proud of its lifeboat and is always supportive! :)

But I won't make DD payments to the organisation as a whole.
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 08:44:04 pm »

Did hear that at one stage RNLI were sponsoring swimming lessons in Kenya & Bangladesh which seems unacceptable to me - know that my old club (an honorary member now) SRCMBC donate at least 50% of the money raised by shows to the RNLI and the balance to another charity.

Totally disagree with the huge salaries paid to some people in the RNLI  - the lifeboat crew receive nothing except their training...............and they are the ones that do the real dangerous work

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 11:44:52 pm »

did the RNLI ever settle their differences of a few years back?
Roy

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2021, 12:38:00 am »

It's a great shame that we're having this discussion, because most charities do a wonderful job. I don't know about the RNLI, but many charities here receive no government funding, and rely almost entirely on donations. Some have major corporate sponsors, one such being our Westpac Lifesaver Rescue Helicopter Service whose major sponsor is the Westpac Bank, as the name implies. It does have other sponsors too, but it also relies heavily on public donations. The organisations concerned then have to actively seek donations, with the result that some become quite persistent, which has a negative effect on their efforts.

It's a difficult situation but, rightly or wrongly, I tend to support the local branches of my chosen charity, rather than donate direct to the head office. Hopefully this approach ensures that the money stays in our area.

Regarding salaries, many of the charities are quite big organisations, far too big to be run by volunteers. They also handle large sums of money, and need qualified people to oversee the running of the organisation. To hire a suitable person it's necessary to offer a salary package commensurate with what's offered in the private sector. It may seem to be a waste of money, but it's an inescapable fact of life.

Peter.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2021, 08:32:09 am »

It's a difficult situation but, rightly or wrongly, I tend to support the local branches of my chosen charity, rather than donate direct to the head office. Hopefully this approach ensures that the money stays in our area.
All donations at local RNLI stations must be forwarded to RNLI HQ.   

Some stations have an unofficial "Crew Comfort Fund" that supports crew expenses not met by the RNLI, donations made specifically to that fund are not donations to the RNLI and so stays local.  That is were my Direct Debit goes.

Hellboy Paul

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2021, 08:54:51 am »

I still support my local RSPCA centre (all my dogs have been rescues).. Once a month I take some pet food to the centre, a couple of times I have been asked why I haven't set up a DD for a regular donation, my answer to this is doing this, 100% of what I give goes to the animals!!

Paul..

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2021, 10:52:43 am »

Many charities are for those in difficulty through no fault of their own. In many NLI rescues  the victims contribute to their own problem . I would say a lot of people rule out the NLI due to that.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2021, 01:05:56 pm »

Many charities are for those in difficulty through no fault of their own. In many NLI rescues  the victims contribute to their own problem . I would say a lot of people rule out the NLI due to that.

The same could be said for most rescue organisations. People do stupid things and expect others to help them, but it in no way diminishes the great job the rescue personnel do, often at considerable risk to themselves.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2021, 07:31:36 pm »

Referencing Peter’s post #19, it is certainly the case that managing a large charity does require a high degree of professional skill which should be paid for accordingly.

I think there are two problems here. Firstly, many charities seem to have become quasi commercial organisations and act as such with outsourcing of revenue collection, ‘hard selling’etc. all of which drives a rift between those donating and the central management. They have become NGOs (Non Governmental Organisations) with a life and agenda of their own and ostensibly not for profit organisations but still operating on a commercial basis when it comes to management and staffing. Many of them do excellent work but others go bad such as Oxfam in Haiti and elsewhere with local sexual exploitation. Many of their employees seem to see themselves as people just doing a job albeit helping the disadvantaged. There seems to be little charitable ethos in many cases. The line between charity and commercial activity has become very blurred.

Secondly, the comparison between charity and commercial executive pay rates has seen charity executives receiving very high remuneration rates which again is a commercial attitude.

Looking at things on a charitable basis it is evident that in the commercial world senior executive pay rates have reached levels which are hard to justify on a commercial basis. Who actually needs an income of more than £200m per year for example?

In the charitable sector, if managers really believe in what they are doing, they should be able to live comfortably on a much lower salary on the basis that they are contributing to the charity they are working for. If not then go off to investment banking where the rewards are much greater in fleecing the people they are ‘looking after’.

Somewhere Along the line we seem to have lost the plot on this.

Colin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.