Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Shortages 2021-Fuel and other.  (Read 3196 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Shortages 2021-Fuel and other.
« on: September 29, 2021, 10:18:48 am »

Oh - I thought hell had frozen over, since getting fuel is apparently only for the idiots who panic buy  <*<
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Re: Jokes &amp; Humour - 2021
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2021, 11:14:35 am »

well this idiot got petrol an hour ago at Sainburys' normal queue

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2021, 03:23:47 pm »

There was no queue at our local Sainsbury's PFS , in fact no queue's at any local petrol stations .. No fuel either !
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2021, 01:28:52 am »

well this idiot got petrol an hour ago at Sainburys' normal queue

Your not an idiot if the fuel is needed - it's those who fill up after using less than quarter of a full tank i.e. the panic buyers

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2021, 09:27:12 am »

Even if you exclude the idiots it makes sense in a shortage situation to run your car nearly full rather than nearly empty. I am not surprised that the mental point on the fuel gauge where you think of refuelling is now higher than it was a couple of weeks ago. If every vehicle has just 3 or 4 more gallons in it than it usually does then that alone would surely account for much of the problem. 40 million vehicles on UK roads x 3.5 gallons = 140 million gallons or nearly 16000 tanker loads.

Having said that the long fuel consuming queues that have featured in news reports are both plain daft and panic inducing.

.......and no I haven't purchased - nor tried to purchase - any fuel in the last couple of weeks.

Del-69

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2021, 10:03:28 am »

What queue filled up today. :}

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2021, 10:23:03 am »

What queue filled up today.

Forget petrol, scour your local supermarkets for turkeys to store in your home freezer for Christmas!

Colin

mogurnda

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2021, 10:30:58 am »

Colin...

Beat you to it..... got 2 already in the freezer together with 2 of Aldi's 3 bird roasts..... not going to get caught out.
David.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 11:07:56 am »

No prob Warspite  :-)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 12:07:12 pm »

Best just put a sticky note over the fuel gauge so you don't look at it every ten seconds.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 12:52:01 pm »

I currently dont have any full bird chickens, turkeys, goose or any type of foul stored for Christmas, although that said, my kids and the lodger consume copious amounts of chicken breasts  :P

As far a fuel goes, I am running at just over half a tank having since my last fill up done dead on 300 miles (had the vision of sitting in a confessional box asking for forgiveness then), tomorrow getting to and from work will take another 40 miles and hopefully I will still not have hit the half tank mark, I am seeing if I can get 400 miles as I get to the mark, as I know that the last half of the tank will do nothing like the same distance - I think its 150 miles at the most.

As I have to put E5 in or better known as premium and the only decently priced fuel is at Tesco, then as I do 40 miles each work day that means that a week today I have to see if I can fill up then, as I should be close to the last quarter mark, I could go the remaining week but I cannot guarantee the CRISIS will be over then (had to shout that as everyone else appears to be panicking)  {-)

Martin - can we split the Topic so that fuel discussions are kept separate

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Shortages 2021-Fuel and other.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2021, 10:02:55 am »

Probably going to have to fill up in November, that'll be the third time this year.   O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2021, 10:55:44 am »

Wifes doing 3 weeks to the Gallon at the moment and am doing 120 miles on my bike £10 quid's worth so no panic.
      Regards Howard.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 12:25:15 pm »

Probably going to have to fill up in November, that'll be the third time this year.   O0

Regards  Ian.

Got my new MOT last week -we have done 700 miles since last year. As we are getting out groceries delivered and have been shielding we really haven't been anywhere! The office lady at the local garage said it wasn't unusual.

Thank goodness we never put the car in the garage wet and the garage is heated. That little mileage could be very bad otherwise.

RST

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 08:26:48 pm »

Got my new MOT last week -we have done 700 miles since last year. As we are getting out groceries delivered and have been shielding we really haven't been anywhere! The office lady at the local garage said it wasn't unusual.

Thank goodness we never put the car in the garage wet and the garage is heated. That little mileage could be very bad otherwise.
My Mothers Aygo was MOT'd last month, about 500 miles from last one owing to cancer treatment this past year and me just keeing it moving, did about 80miles in between last MOT last month and found the hazards lights don't work.  I actually needed them a few night ago.  I'm betting 100% they never checked them at MOT.  Our garage we've used for 40 years has gone really downhill -they're just interested in saying whats wrong these days, no way of fixing anything -everything is too difficult for them from a 23£ ball joint to a proper fix it job.  I've heard all kinds of guff from the mlast year or so.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2021, 08:38:06 pm »

I was fuming last Sunday evening after such a fantastic weekend sailing with my local club and Geoff Dixon at Wicksteed at War. I had struggled to find fuel all weekend and was down to the fuel trip saying I had 18 miles left before I was out of diesel. Eventually I found a station that had some but with a restriction of £30 per person. The first time in my career my position actually meant something as I explained to the attendant that I’m in the RAF and £30 wouldn’t be enough to get me to base if things went wrong. A quick flash of my ID to prove it I was given permission to get a full tanks worth but the looks on people’s faces seeing me brim my tank was awful wondering why I had special treatment. I’m glad they did because there is no fuel at my end and there are lads trapped on camp or miles away from work struggling to get fuel. Can’t believe how the ignorance of the morons get mess everything up so quickly. >>:-(
I couldn’t imagine the phone call to my Flight Sergeant explaining how I couldn’t get to work because I didn’t have enough fuel in this age!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

RST

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2021, 09:47:20 pm »

It's strange times when you are used to working on wellheads, manifolds and export lines and seeing the chaos at the fuel pumps.   While some pretty strange and enifficient things happen offshore, the costs are just far bigger than most can comprehand in getting fuel to the pumps at the end of the day and every single person at the fuel pumps should be darn grateful of every single drop they get.  I want to know who leaked that first report which supposedley sparked the "panick".  What ever happened to that person after the first couple of days.  It appararently wasn't a problem before that!?  I guess it's nbot a good news headline anymore.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2021, 09:02:40 am »

It's strange times when you are used to working on wellheads, manifolds and export lines and seeing the chaos at the fuel pumps.   While some pretty strange and enifficient things happen offshore, the costs are just far bigger than most can comprehand in getting fuel to the pumps at the end of the day and every single person at the fuel pumps should be darn grateful of every single drop they get.  I want to know who leaked that first report which supposedley sparked the "panick".  What ever happened to that person after the first couple of days.  It appararently wasn't a problem before that!?  I guess it's nbot a good news headline anymore.

It was sparked off by Shell who reported to the media that they had to close some forecourts because of the driver shortage. This was picked up on by the Road Hauliers Association (RHA) who had been trying to raise awareness of the problem generally for some time and BOOM , the nitrogenous deposit hit the ventilation unit.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2021, 09:54:03 am »

HI ALL well what happened to super unleaded as thats what ive really got to put in my car as its a turbo sport injection an it says on the petrol flap use only SUPER U/L  but now in all my garages around me the petrol is U/L an ultra U/L WHY change the bloomin name  >>:-( <*< an i was lucky i filled up before this shortage started an im retired so me an the missus dont go to far longest journey was to see ma in law last wk an go the five miles or so shoppin
chris

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2021, 10:01:47 am »

Get your cleaning supplies whilst you can. Our son in law whose firm makes all sorts of cleaning and water treatment chemicals, has been waiting 9 months for some basic ingredients and is having to source them from any country that might have them.   Even hand sanitizer ingredients are affected.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2021, 10:56:28 am »

HI ALL well what happened to super unleaded as thats what ive really got to put in my car as its a turbo sport injection an it says on the petrol flap use only SUPER U/L  but now in all my garages around me the petrol is U/L an ultra U/L WHY change the bloomin name  >>:-( <*< an i was lucky i filled up before this shortage started an im retired so me an the missus dont go to far longest journey was to see ma in law last wk an go the five miles or so shoppin
chris
Your car will run on 'ordinary' unleaded. The 'only use' super unleaded is to get the best \ maximum performance out of the engine especially under harsh acceleration which if fuel is in short supply, you'd best be avoiding anyway.
As all ordinary unleaded is now E10, provided your car is post 2010, there will be no problem using E10 unleaded if premium unleaded is unavailable.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2021, 11:45:06 am »

Your car will run on 'ordinary' unleaded. The 'only use' super unleaded is to get the best \ maximum performance out of the engine especially under harsh acceleration which if fuel is in short supply, you'd best be avoiding anyway.
As all ordinary unleaded is now E10, provided your car is post 2010, there will be no problem using E10 unleaded if premium unleaded is unavailable.

justboatonic[size=0.85em](quote ) the info

[/size][/size]
  • [size=0.85em]HI MANY THANKS[/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
  • [size=0.85em] For the info an my car is 2013 yr so it should be ok then an no i wont be setting my ft down as i want to keep at a encomnacil 50mph in 5th gear  on cruise controll as that way my foot wont go down when im not noticeing it [/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
  • [size=0.85em]chris [/size]
[size=0.85em][/size]
  • [size=0.85em]

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2021, 05:56:04 pm »

Desperate measures...

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2021, 06:17:03 pm »

{-) {-) Ahh, good one.... O0

RST

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2021, 07:27:34 pm »

Hi Chris, exactly what make and model of car do you have?  I'm guessing you don't have the kind of cars I used to have which really needed the higher octane fuel (high performance, turbocharged. "Regular" petrol was a no-no or you had to limp about without the turbo kicking in).  There's also a government website you can find on Google which puts all the regular make and model numbers on a database and you can check if E10 is suitable.  I checked for my mother's Aygo a few weeks back and there's literally just a couple of UK Toyota models on one or two years that won't like E10.  That said 99% of UK high performance cars will be mapped for default 95RON so to should be OK but worth checking as the info is out there.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.