Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 17th/ 18th Century RN sailing Hull's  (Read 990 times)

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
17th/ 18th Century RN sailing Hull's
« on: October 01, 2021, 02:28:16 pm »

Having been bitten by the sailing vessel bug , do any of the member's know of any suppliers of GRP hulls for the above type of vessel pl[size=78%]ease ?[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]Why GRP......? well it would present a better hull form for what I am keen to do [ [/size][/size]Brigantine or Frigate ] but open to any ideas at this stage ....[size=78%]

[/size]So far I have completed two sailing R/C models which have turned out very well and exceeded my expectations ,but the last [  "Sea Witch"  ] which was a Grand Banks Schooner to which I added two topsails to has me yearning to try a three masted vessel before I shuffle off this mortal coil [size=78%] :-))

If I had the confidence to build the hull  myself I would be tempted to try but alas I know my limitations , and the Schooner confirmed this to me again being a Sarik GRP hull , but try as I may I haven't found one yet  but be glad of any suggestions you may know of please

I have tried to post a photo of Sea Witch without success on a few occasions   but they are to big a photo and not knowing how to reduce them remain unsuccessful

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 17th/ 18th Century RN sailing Hull's
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 09:25:23 pm »

I don't know of anybody who has invested in producing such hulls.  Very much a minority interest and unlikely to see a return on the time and money. 
As to resizing pictures , there's a whole thread here - https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61103.0.html
A much discussed subject that boils down (at least with Windows) to opening the image with a preferred program, finding the "resize" function, telling it what size is wanted, and saving it with a new name.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RST

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 10:12:26 pm »

Hello Ivorthedivor,

Re. pictures: You have pics on thercmodelboatforum.com so just link them here if you're strugglig with simple uploads on here?  Or post links to your other builds on there?  I can't find them now but I know you posted pictures out there.  They loked good!?

Rich

PS: Is this what you were trying to show?

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t2168-grand-banks-schooner

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 09:41:56 am »

Thank you both for your responses to my question , but my operating system is Apple , and no mater how I try it won't ware it' .
The picture Rich displayed had been put on by another which I used as an example to the boat being built at the time by me which ended up as a "Top sail Schooner" which was the instigator of my question to find hulls of 17-18th century Brig / frigate hulls , but thank you for your good intentions lads  :-)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2021, 10:57:28 am »

This is mine that has actually sailed - still have not put Victory into the water other than a test tank which I dont count
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2021, 05:13:01 pm »

Supereb models , and beautifully finished ,  I doff  my hat to you Warspite :-))  ., If you look at thercmodelboat forum mine can be viewed there,  as I have no problem in posting on that web or others , just this one it seems  :o

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 07:31:59 pm »

The only fiberglass hulls for that era of ship were produced by an US American company SC&H, Steel, Chapman and Hutchinson.
They produced, I think, three hulls, and kit for the Surprise, the Grasshopper, and I think one other.
Unfortunately, they are long out of production.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2021, 09:18:42 pm »

A couple of things

1 - they are not GRP
2 - they are at 1:180 scale  {-)
3 - its a bit of a cheat as they are the plastic kit from Airfix

Thanks for the comment but they are 17th / 18th century RN ships but designed for RC, though you could say that about the Matchbox Corvette or some of Deans mini patrol boats and lifeboat, I even have the Airfix vosper 73 ft and German S boat in RC and new kits to try and RC again.

Is it not possible to fudge one up, i.e. take a yacht and increase the freeboard, plating the outside to look like planks etc, with a new internal timber structure to support the new upper works?
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 08:48:11 am »

Thank you both for your responses to my question , but my operating system is Apple , and no mater how I try it won't ware it' .
The picture Rich displayed had been put on by another which I used as an example to the boat being built at the time by me which ended up as a "Top sail Schooner" which was the instigator of my question to find hulls of 17-18th century Brig / frigate hulls , but thank you for your good intentions lads  :-)
Even on an Apple product, it is possible to scroll down the screen as far as post#7,
Photo resizing for Apple products

Photo resizing on an iPhone/iPad (by emailing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq8MYjS45mo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALxEYl5X_y0

Photo resizing on a Mac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h305Nsx3Pqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTPXrFCe8cI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gavmkmp_9E

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 21 queries.