Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Build Thread: Patrol Craf Fast ( PCF )  (Read 1780 times)

RipSlider

Build Thread: Patrol Craf Fast ( PCF )
« on: October 23, 2007, 08:01:56 pm »

Hello.

This is going to be, if I have it in the right section, a build thread of a PCF.

I'm using the Calder craft kit, which is, according to Westborne Models, the last in the country, so I'll try not to make a mess of it.

I'll say immediately that I'm not the best when it comes to building, and coupled to the fact that I don't have the time and space to do things *properly*, my building very much has en element of Bodgit and Scarper about it!

This thread is mostly for my own use, so I can track where I am, what I've done, what needs to happen etc, but please feel free to add comments questions, especially hints and tips, as I go along.

I have deviated a fair bit from the instructions, usually becuase I have either a different way of doing an action, or becuase I don't have the skills/rescoruces to go ahead with the suggested action, and am doing it a different way to make up for this.

Photo's to follow tonight, but here are some high level comments and thoughts:

Kit is a 900mm GRP hull with wood and white metal fittings.

power is from 2x 540 Sport motors, turning 2x 30mm brass prop's Batteries are 2x 4300 mAh packs, eah through a 40amp ESC. There is a prop/udder mixer to be added as well.

rudders are not to scale at all, but shop brought items. The scale rudders would be tiny, and the supplier rudders were dreaful.

Hull was not the best quality, with significant mould lines and a large void in the bow. This is now fixed.

white metal fittings are very poor quality, mould lines are extensive, and a number of pieces will need to be completely re-made from Green Stuff, as they can't be rescued.

Plans are good quality to work from, although the numbering and sequencing of them is a little odd and tyhey need a very good studying before the build starts.

Overall plan is to get the boat built in a rough state, and then start the tidy-up and scaling process. It would be better if I was working accuratly all the way through, but right now, until I get a new workshop built, I simply do not have the space to build things like jigs etc, so I will get the bare bones sorted, and then make it look pretty.

Photo's to follow.

Wish me luck...

Steve

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
Re: Build Thread: Patrol Craf Fast ( PCF )
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 08:38:25 pm »

Nearly got it right Steve, should have been under "Our Builds" not "Building Model Boats"  O0
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

RipSlider

Re: Build Thread: Patrol Craf Fast ( PCF )
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 10:11:04 pm »

EEK!

Mods/Admins:

Please could you move?

Thanks and apologies

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.