Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Here's what ive got - Veron Fairey Huntsman 28?  (Read 3735 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Heres what ive got - Veron Fairey Huntsman 28?
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2021, 09:51:43 pm »

Hi

As Will says (he posted whilst I was still composing!) no, not really. Voltage and capacity are too low.

I can't recommend what motor etc. I'm going to be using in my Huntsman 28 as I'm building at 1:12 and so it's 28" long as opposed to yours at 42" long which will be significantly heavier.

My thoughts in arriving at a suitable motor for your model are as follows. As said it's quite big and heavy and so a motor with some torque is required and as it's a sports cruiser a decent turn of speed is required but not manic like a race boat.

Outrunner brushless motors produce more torque than inrunners for a like for like size and larger diameter motors generally produce more torque so I'd be looking for an outrunner of about 40mm diameter.

As I said before, to give around 12k. rpm and good performance and using a motor in the 900 - 1200 kv range you will need a battery voltage of 12000rpm/960kv (as per suggestion) = 12.5volts. So if using LiPos you could use a 3S which will give you 11.1v or 4S giving 14.8v. I'd go for the 4S as you will have power in reserve then. For a decent run time you need to be looking at least 4000mAH and preferably higher if funds allow.

That's my thoughts but I know that Canabus and Zooma have fast boats that are bigger than mine and believe that they mainly use 35mm diameter brushless motors and so they may say that size is perfectly adequate as brushless motors are amazingly powerful for their size. They will also have thoughts on batteries.

A motor that suits my criteria is shown and is available from the Component Shop. Hope you find this of some use.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2021, 10:30:43 am »

Forgot to say that as well as the voltage being too low for the required performance it is determined by the motor. In the suggestion I've given you can see it is suitable for 3 - 5S, so 11.1 to 18.5v.

In theory you could use 7.4v but you would need to use a higher kV motor, but not too high! To achieve 12k. rpm you would need a minimum of 1621 kV but as motor diameters increase the kv tend to be less and you won't get a 40mm anywhere near that value. Smaller dia. motors are available in higher kV so others may say that a 35mm is the way to go but on a minimum of 3S/11.1v and you could use your new ESC.

As you can see it is all a bit of a balancing act with the voltage and kv to get the performance required. Very high kV motors like the ones you already have are for lighter race boats and water jet drives etc.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2021, 04:46:12 pm »

i appreciate the advice from everyone but i must say my head is spinning lol, im off to a local model shop tomorrow as they sell batteries and chargers

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2021, 05:01:31 pm »

Yeah, like anything new it can be confusing at first.

Good thing with brushless is that they are powerful little blighters and many operate over a good range of voltages so it's usually fairly easy to obtain the performance required.

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2021, 03:57:15 pm »

silly quick question.... do i need to grease the propshaft? i only seem to find stuff about flexi shafts but im using a rigid one

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2021, 02:13:02 pm »

well ive had a go at the front railing, used 3mm brass rod and took on the idea (thanks to colin bishop) and used tube with eye screws to make the stanchions... and this is how it turned out

as i live in a flat with no garden im going to use parents place to start stripping the old paint to get it ready for some colour, just as there out door space is the car park to their B&B i need to plan it for when they have no guests

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2021, 02:40:36 pm »

Well done, that's made a difference to the look of it already  :-))

Have you decided upon a colour scheme yet, or are you gonna keep us in suspense?  :-)

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2021, 03:54:08 pm »

silly quick question.... do i need to grease the propshaft? i only seem to find stuff about flexi shafts but im using a rigid one

Yes. What to use? Found this on another forum...

https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=107386

If you type “grease” into search bar top right on this forum it may help with other threads. Some use lithium grease, others oil etc etc.

For example one view on here is as follows:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,64836.msg688691.html#msg688691
2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2021, 06:38:39 pm »

well i'm a huge star wars fan, and a member of vader's 501st legion (UK Garrison) so going star wars themed... greys, whites and blacks, will have some old school pinstriping around the name for the back and sides and trying to find someone to print me a couple of flags for the rear with the galactic empire logo but proving difficult

but the problem at the moment is stripping the old paint, so far i've gone through 5-6 various coloured coats on the hull

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2021, 05:04:44 pm »

power question.... will a 70a esc be ok with a 1200kv brushless motor, using 4S lipo battery, ive tried the maths and think ive gone a little backwards somewhere

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2021, 10:20:18 pm »

well as the weather wasn't to bad today i managed to get on with stripping the boat back to wood, 40years of paint and varnish and about 8 different colour coats through time, sides are done and have the hull, need more nitro mors and more sanding discs but getting through it slowly

3 hours with a dremel i finally got rid of the glue and silicone that the original motor was set into, just need to finish flattening so i can marry uop the motor and prop shaft

and made some ali angle plate for the motor and anti vibration mounts

if the weather keeps staying dry i'm back on it tomorrow

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2021, 09:20:30 pm »

well the poor weather meant i couldn't carry on stripping the boat i decided to get all artistic and prep some graphics

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Here's what ive got - Veron Fairey Huntsman 28?
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2022, 12:07:47 am »

I hope it all works out, but................. Im with Chris F, the kv is way too high for this heavy old girl, you need the torque to get it rolling, lower revs, and lower kv I hope Im proved wrong, but I own the evidence., I was reluctant to spoil the party, but you still might be able to get a return if the motor is still unused. the prop ypu are thinking abolut will be too big, its the size I run with sub 1000kv, and I get about 15 mins max with throttle management

Those high kv motors suit the lightweight racing fibreglass style hulls, not the heavy thick wood things we own.

I run mine on 6 cells, gps is 25mph, after that, its extremely unstable on single screw, the build log was recently revived with some posts, take a look if its any good to you to help out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4OQbqIByw0
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 21 queries.