Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New to boat building and in need of advice.  (Read 3044 times)

Kindy881

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
New to boat building and in need of advice.
« on: October 09, 2021, 08:07:10 pm »

Hi everyone ☺ my name is Bryan,

I'm new to baot building and working with rc components and could use the advice of some of you more knowledgeable folks on which options i have available.

So my journey started when i decided to save £700 by buying a bait boat kit (used for fishing) opposed to spending the extra £700 for the fully built boat.

I had no previous experience with anything rc and the only experience i have had with boats has been with full sized ones.

The boat is a catamaran design and is made of abs plastic, i received all the kit and had a big trip due so rushed the build and made a few mistakes along the way, got the boat barely working until i realised it was taking on a bit water.

After that trip i put it out of sight and forget about it until this year when our anual trip came up so i tried to rush making her water worthy and failed, ended up leaving her at home and now I'm back, I'm eager to get to work and get her water bound without any issues. I have stripped mostly everything off and tried to take it back to the starting stages.

My main questions are:

Can anyone recommend the best waterproof sealant/adhesive to use for sealing around screws which have been screwed into the abs. (The screws hold hinges for the bait release flaps in place) these sit just under the water level when in use so need to be water tight on the inside of the hull)

The instructions i received are in are poorley translated from german, they reccomend sikaflex 221 to seal around the jet engine, and to seal the 2 halfs of the boat together (top&bottom shells) 

Can anyone recommend me on how i can get spare parts for a KMB JET28 (Rev. 3) including steering nozzle. (As the company won't poop to the uk after brexit.)

Or can someone recommend a different brand who makes a similar jet engine and are available to purchase easily in the uk.

I also need to locate some bowden cable but having trouble locating the same stuff that was provided with the kit i received. The stuff i received is steel cable wrapped in a white plastic then it has a grey plastic sleeve over the top which the white cable can slide through easily. I have found the white cable with steel rod but can't find one with the grey sleeve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Kind regards
Bryan

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Kindy881

• Shipmate
Re: New to boat building and in need of advice.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 02:08:29 pm »

Hi Martin thanks for the reply, i have ordered 3 tubes of sikaflex 221.

As for the kbm jet 28, the company won't ship items to the uk anymore since brexit.

Are you aware of any online sellers who stock there items?

I need several items so at a loss to what i can do to get around not being able to get them shipped to the UK.

Are there any uk companies who make a jet engine similar to the kbm 28, that i could switch it out for, I'm reluctant to use the kbm if it's going to be such a pain to get spare parts in future.

Kind regards
Bryam

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 03:35:53 pm »

Hi martin, i managed to get a picture of the type of bowden cable i need if you are able to help me locate some? I have tried using google images to search for similar products but all i can find is the white cable with the steel inside.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2021, 03:44:21 pm »

Re: KBM parts, have you tried ebay.de ?

Not seen a 3 'layer' bowden cable before... unless it's plastic outer, plastic inner, metal end, a screw in piece for fittings?!

https://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/prodcat.asp?type=submenu&dept=5&maingp=Aircraft&id=Snakes+-+Pushrods&filter=RS&offset=16
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2021, 04:04:52 pm »

I have tried everything i can think of, i have emailed uk rc and model shops the image, i emailed kmb to see if they have supplierthat still ship to the uk, the closest i can get is the white plastic and steel wire inside.

It's used for steering the kbm jet28, the grey sleeve is glued into 2  holes that come out the back of the boat beside the steering nossle,  the white cable slides freely through the grey cable allowing you steer left/right. The grey sleeve is made of abs, is there any way to source this separately, i have tried but nothing comes up for rc or models its all industrial grade cabling, car or bike cabling that comes back.

Would there be any other products that would do the same job? I.e from a different companies steering system for there jet?

Would i be easier locating a similar sized jet drive and just converting everythimg over to that.

Sorry for all the questions just eager to push forward woth the build and hate that it's something so simple that is holding me back lol

Kind regards
Bryan

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2021, 04:14:55 pm »

Can you post photos of the bit you need?

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61103.0.html

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2021, 07:53:34 pm »

These are all the components i need to complete my build, they are all kmb parts and are the only ones i can find, unless i can find someone living in Germany willing to post to me the only other option i see is a complete new jet drive.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated 🙏

Kind regards
Bryan

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 08:06:00 pm »

The grey/white bowden cable attaches to the steering nozzle via 2 ball joints (I'll enclose a photo) the white part of the bowden cable is to be glued into the ball joints and act as the steering cables.

The grey part of the cable has to be glued into 2 holes in the hull (there are 2 pre drilled holes above the hole for the steering nozzle)

(In the attached image the bowden cable outer is red, the one i received is grey and the one on sale on there website is grey so my thinking was it would be easy to get hold of this style of bowden cables but clearly not)

Are you aware of there are other types of bowden cables/wires/ steering rods which could be used in the same manner on the kmb jet 28 or would they definitely need to be the same ones.

Kind regards
Bryan

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 02:04:12 am »

Give Manfred Sievers an e-Mail; he may be able to help You;

Manfred's Modellbau Seite

Manfred Sievers
www.modellbau-sievers.de
info@modellbau-sievers.de
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2021, 05:49:41 am »

Bowden cables are used in model airplanes.. should be available in any decent modelshop. .

https://images.app.goo.gl/aCNu5xgnux1vJKiSA

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2021, 11:31:22 am »

The type of cable the OP has described is rather unusal, most Bowden cables are either a flexible metal cable in a plastic outer or a plastic inner running in a plastic outer, either of these would do if a suitable end rose joint is available. The only other place where I have seen the metal rod inside a plastic sheath running in a plastic outer was in reviews of some American made plane kits.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 11:58:43 am »

Bowden cables for industial applications can be ordered so the mounting end fittings are either left-handed or right-handed construction when the primary load function is in one direction

For bi-directional load applications, a single core metal rod is superior in push/pull torque related applications where the tendency to unravel [in the push direction] is of concern

This unravelling increases the diameter of the spiral wound cable inside the sheath causing undue friction & partial seizing of linear motion

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2021, 12:20:35 pm »

There seem to be a lot made by a US firm called Dubro. They're listed by the usual sources such in UK and might be worth looking at.

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2021, 12:46:32 pm »

Thanks for all the replies guy's, i managed to get through to Kehrer Modellbau and they are willing to ship to the uk, the issue was anytime i tried to make an account with them and chose my country of origin (united kindom) it said they do not deliver to selected country... the team created an account for me and sent me the login details. And i chose country of origin as Great Britain ( The options include united kindom and Great Britain in the same menu so must be a mistake on the site) but issue resolved and got my parts on order.

I've ordered 2 of almost everything so i have future spares lol

I have a few questions about motors for the kmb jet28 if anyone can help, the motor supplied is supposed to be specifically for a bait boat and for use with the kmb jet.

The motor is programmed to run at 40% power I'm sure, it's not a waterproof motor though, it's had little exposure to moisture and is rusting slighty in certain areas, i have seen waterproof motor's online on various video's and would like to purchase one.

Can anyone recommend a waterproof motor that will couple well with the kmb jet28 and will it automatically run at 40% if that's what the controller has already been set to.

Kind regards
Bryan

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2021, 01:20:43 pm »

These are the only details provided on there webiste, these guy's have confirmed by email they no longer deliver to the uk so a replacement from them is not an option 👎 any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, i understand there are lots of motors on the market I'd preferably like on that's waterproof but that's not essential I'd rather purchase something efficient that's going to last a while. The one supplied isn't the best quality if it's rusting so easily.

Kind regards
Bryan

RST

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2021, 09:51:10 pm »

Hi Bryan,

Not sure as usual you should believe everything on tinternet.  Have not seen a "waterproof" motor yet.  Your motor looks like they took a regular DC motor, painted it and put a different sticker on it.  I can't help with a direct replacement but component shop here in the UK stock MFA motors and have a selection to suit most.  I would say though, concentrate why water is getting in first though because that is an obvious problem with anything floating.  At 3.2mm output shaft it will possibly be a 380/400 size or a 540/600 can size depending on the other dimensions.  I'm not sure why a bait boat needs a high performance jet drive system such as yours but it is as they say what it is.

PS. Just looked up component shop and at 25mm PCD it sounds more like a 540/600 can size motor.  I'd re-iterate most motors will corrode in there if you don't sort out where the water is getting in first.

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2021, 11:07:55 am »

Yeah i have located the issue with leaking, there is a hairline crack about 1.5-2 inches in length on the stern where the hole for the jet engine is. Is there a glue or cement that anyone cam recommend that would repair the crack and be waterproof?

Also is anyone aware of anywhere that i could have another hull vaccum formed or would i be cheaper making a moldof the hull them make my own carbon fiber copy.

The company i purchased the boat off no longer ships to the uk but they sell the abs hulls for €167, am i niave in thinking i could have a new one vaccume formed in the uk for this kind of cash?

Kind regards

Bryan

RST

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 06:49:12 am »

Hi Bryan,
I think you might find the "jet engine" part is a mis-translaton.  Jet engines are usually found on aircraft.  You have a waterjet with an electric motor attched.
There's no shortage of ABS adhesives but everything with advice on forums usually follows the statement to "show us a pic first".
Also is anyone aware of anywhere that i could have another hull vaccum formed or would i be cheaper making a moldof the hull them make my own carbon fiber copy.
...is the hull knackered?  I still can't work out why it has such sophisticated waterjets to be honest.  I was looking at a few bait boats by co-incidence and they seem much simpler in terms of motors and propellers but I guess you are stuck with what you have.  You could ask Sarik or Amera for a copy but I don't know why (need pics again).  I'd imagine it might cost allot more than 150 quid after tooling though.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 10:12:33 am »

Spose it's too difficult to laminate a thicker piece of ABS sheet inside the existing thickness? But then you'd have to re cut the mounting holes.

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 11:31:18 am »

Hi RST, thanks for those words of wisdom, i shall upload some photo's just now, the hull should be fixable I was asking about having another made so i can have a flawless hull that should last for years and I'd have gifted the one i Currently have to my dad, he has COPD and struggles with casting/baiting up his rods so a bait boat is a must for him (he just refuses to pay modern prices for things lol) as for bait boats using jet thrusters, they can be much quieter whilst in the water, i think they offer better torque for pushing a boat full of bait (some carry 5kg of bait plus the weight of the boat which most are 2-5kg) they are much less prone to causing fishing line to get caught/wrapped up in a propeller and the jet thruster is less prone to getting caught in weed beds, lilly pads ect. The leading manufacturer of bait boats are a german company, if you are at all intrested in bait boats have a look a one called the "CARP LOUNGE RT4" jet thrusters seem to be the go to choice for a lot of the bigger boat manufacturers these days. Ultimately I'd love an RT4 but with add-ons they can run into £3000-£5000 figures.

I'd definitely be intrested in having another hull made up if it was cost effective, one of the main reasons for the new hull would be so i can instal my own fish finder/gps system prior to installing servos and cabling ect, just now things are a little tight in there.

Regards Bryan

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2021, 11:33:17 am »

Spose it's too difficult to laminate a thicker piece of ABS sheet inside the existing thickness? But then you'd have to re cut the mounting holes.

I had thought of that but not sure if it would work in the area that needs repaired, I'll uplaod some photos just now.

Regard
Bryan

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2021, 11:57:19 am »

Here is the area on the back outside of the stern

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2021, 12:24:54 pm »

Not sure what happened with the last post but images never uploaded.

Kindy881

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2021, 12:29:42 pm »

That will be 3 hairline cracks, just noticed another and they have to be in the most awkward place ever to repair.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 22 queries.