Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jim King's steam boat of 1977  (Read 900 times)

belli

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Jim King's steam boat of 1977
« on: October 11, 2021, 09:36:58 pm »

Hello to the greatest minds of model steam launches...

I have read a series of articles by Jim King in 'Model Boats' from about October '77 to about 20 issues later (I'm missing quite a few).  He mentions an up coming article and full size plans for a for a simple steam boat in an upcoming article but I can find no reference for it. Can anybody shed some light on this?  A scan or good photo of the article would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
Re: Jim King's steam boat of 1977
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 10:30:08 pm »

I have most of the 70s Model Boats in the loft, and have catalogued them, but in a fairly basic manner. I can find various mentions of the marine steam series but nothing about a model at the end (the cataloguing was done in something of a rush - I do plan to dig them all out and improve the catalogue at 'some time'.

Looking at the catalogue again, I can't find anything past part 15 of marine steam (that might be down to my rather rushed cataloguing) in February 1979. The following month featured a plan for the Lady Enchantress pleasure steamer, which might be the one you are looking for.

I need to get back in the loft and pull a few boxes of magazines down, so will prioritise the late 70s in order to check. Could take a while, though...
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2021, 12:45:03 pm »

Jim had been a member of my club (Blackheath Model Power Club) for many years until the time of his passing. I do remember the article but as far as I am aware hh never finished it. I do have of a lot of his records and drawings so I will search through for any information, fingers crossed.
Steamed up all the time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 01:36:25 pm »

Jim's obituary was published in the September 1982 issue so, as Phil says, he maybe never got around to completing the project.

Colin

belli

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 09:50:54 pm »

I am sad to hear that.
I can't figure out where I read it but I think the name of the boat was 'Lady Enchantress'.
It's possible I guess that the article was never published but it would seem at least that a prototype boat was completed.   If you do find anything Phil, please let me know.  I'd be happy to capture the drawings and perhaps recreate the design.
I might scan the articles and put them up somewhere as there is some good dope in there....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 10:09:49 pm »

In those days, projects extnded over many issues of the magazine and an ongoing series would have been subjected to progress issues if the author was incapacitated.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.