Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rudder fixings  (Read 1176 times)

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
rudder fixings
« on: October 13, 2021, 09:03:36 am »

hi  all i need a bit of advice what do i need to fix the rudder shafts (2) permanently in the hull. i know the shaft has to have  more pointing up out of the water than in it what product will hold  the shafts securely  , also silly question ,were would you position the servo for steering . many thanks pat

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
Re: rudder fixings
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2021, 11:18:38 am »

Glue a block into the hull and drill for rudder tube(s). Mounting servos depends how accessible it needs to be, but don't forget, closed loop wire systems are far more versatile if servo is in a non standard straight line location.

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 12:19:52 pm »

thanks  Ian i totally forgot about  the hardwood support and epoxy glue, and theres me thinking glass putty ,how wrong was i , lol  that  ones im putting down to the stroke lol

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 12:26:10 pm »

Hi
I'll put some pics on here of my Najade on the rudder posts for your reference.
A rudder post must be stiff enough to hold the rudder shaft securely when it comes to make clear and sharp turns,still more
for a fast boat.

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 12:37:27 pm »

thank you backerther..i am going with a hardwood block and epoxy glue ...nice boat btw :-)) :-))  its acually for a backert by bilingsboats im trying to  build( i have i think its called a build log in model boats)once again thanks for your comment and pics :-))

RST

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 11:13:34 pm »

Hi,

Just checking as it sounds like you don't have the manual -which Billings have as a free download on the website?  Might be some changes over the years but the one on there I'm looking at now shows the twin rudders, and some usual woodwork to support them.  Even if you don't have exactly the same parts -the principle still applies?

PS if your'e going to use epoxy I suggest to make sure things are very carefully prepared if it's on the ABS hull -and don't skimp on cheap tubes.

Rich

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2021, 12:58:52 pm »

thank you backerther..i am going with a hardwood block and epoxy glue ...nice boat btw :-)) :-))  its acually for a backert by bilingsboats im trying to  build( i have i think its called a build log in model boats)once again thanks for your comment and pics :-))

Hi merseyferry;

I used 90 minutes epoxy to get tougher adhesion after intensive sanding down on the surface to be adhered in this boat.
Especially when I had upper and lower hulls bonded together,I left the bonded hull on the work desk for 2days to get better result.
1:upper hull
2;lower hull
3;For 48hours ...
4/5;Adhesion done ! The hull is so rigid different from its weak-looking appearance.It is what they call monocoque  structure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.