Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy M's scratchbuilt Javelin project  (Read 12543 times)

David - Dry Dock 3D

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Andy M's scratchbuilt Javelin project
« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2022, 05:09:38 pm »

I will drop you a message mate.  I have a couple of figure designs that may work.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2022, 07:48:27 pm »

Cheers, messaged you back.
As I have been finishing off the 2 boats, to the stage where I could manage to test them, I been doing a bit  more on the Rapier superstructure and started painting the outside of it.
 I decided to miss out the smelly lumpy varnish that I have used as a first coat on both hulls and go straight onto white water based gloss. First coat went on and dried quickly and I made a start on some woodwork in the interior of the wheelhouse.
 I get hung up on details sometimes, I had asked, on the Rapier thread, how do the wee guys get in? There was no obvious door.
 I spotted a photo of someone's Rapier sporting a hatchway at the rear of the rear cabin. No idea of its proper name but I am going to have one too, so that the wee guys can get in. Lol.
 Anyway, now they can get in, but the floors would all be different heights, so I worked out a solution, which in turn gave me more to think about.
 I hadnt intended detailing the inside, as the coaming on the hull is visible through front and rear side windows, I have painted the coaming matt black in these areas so it isnt as noticeable, seems to work but it makes detailing in the cabins a bit pointless.
 The wheelhouse interior is very visible so I decided to go for some detailing in there. The wheelhouse floor is removable, so that gives me enough access to do stuff in there. I haven't got any windows in either, my hand just fits in the side windows.
 I have a nice little ships wheel, 3d printed, saved about £6 compared to the wooden one I bought for the Sea Rover. The wooden one is a bit nicer, it is in an open cockpit so it is more visible. The 3d printed one will be fine for interior use. I have also add some of my 3d printed bezels around some instrument photos, looks pretty good on the Javelins, much better than a bare dashboard. I was going to poke tiny pins through the holes on the bezels, but I cant find them, they might have been binned in a tidy up, they were a bit rusty, heads might have been ok though. I hate binning possible building materials...
 I have now ordered some different ones, will see how they look, if they fit.
 I will post more photos of the interior as it progresses, it looks very bare just now.
 My removable floor/stairs section needs some extra bits added to match up nicely with the inside of the wheelhouse, should have planned it in from the start. Ah well, thats what happens when the plan changes. Lol.
 I am not going to spend too long on the interior, its going on a fast hull so nobody will be paying too much attention to detailing. 😁
 The Edita superstructure is awaiting attention. It is mostly built, needs the roof glued on before I start painting and I dont want to do that until I do some more stuff in its wheelhouse. Keep what access I have until it's mostly done. No rush, still trying to decide if I want handrails on the roofs, like Sea Rover has, or just leave them plain. I will concentrate on it some more once the Rapier and Javelin superstructures are complete.
 I have a few things still to do to them, I will wait till they are done and show the results.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2022, 07:53:10 pm »

Andy, I've just logged into my YouTube and pulled your channel up. The latest video that is showing, is the Sea Rover one.
I can't see any of the Javelin.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2022, 01:31:49 am »

Hi Will, I have no idea how to unlock them.
I will try googling it tomorrow.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2022, 06:20:07 pm »

I hope that is the issue fixed. Video of Javelin https://youtu.be/Pyi1hckFRUA

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2022, 06:22:03 pm »

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2022, 06:23:46 pm »

Video of outboard powered Javelin
https://youtu.be/a3AgBR7bfMc

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2022, 07:19:18 pm »

The Javelin gets some red 10mm elastic for 'seatbelts'
 Still got to anchor it properly but looks good in my test.
 Rapier superstructure has had more done, and its windows fitted. Nearly complete, needs a captain's chair of some sort.
 Last pic is progress with the Edita superstructure, with one set of steps down to forward cabin.

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2022, 10:17:33 pm »

The Rapier seems to perform very well Andy and the Javelin looks like it has the potential to be a really good performer too.
Fingers crossed for a quick and simple fix of the drive and then a 2nd, hopefully full speed run.
Both look good on the water.
Looking forward to seeing the next run you give them.
Nice one.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2022, 08:57:43 pm »

Video of Javelin driver Action man with servo operated head
https://youtu.be/zllTWC1hh6w

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2022, 07:37:26 am »

Like it!

2 Lesro Javelins... and that’s it. Not even close to finished!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #111 on: May 09, 2022, 10:05:48 am »

The dog doesn't look too impressed!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: May 09, 2022, 02:30:25 pm »

The dog loves chasing radio controlled machines, I have a quadcopter reserved for exercising her. Theres a video on my channel of her chasing one. Sometimes she gets them, resulting in a few hotglue repairs.
She knows to leave it alone if it is on the ground...... in the air though, it becomes chase-able. I cant walk the dog very far so it is ideal.
Anyway, back to my driver, a bit of modification to my drive rod system and I have it working well. At the moment, one screw is holding his head down onto the drive rod's new wooden block inside. The corners of the block provide enough grab to turn his head, but will let it slip if someone tries turning his head. Some people get the urge to start touching and moving stuff.
I had a guy I know came up to me while I was waiting for the wind to drop so I could fly one of my super light (fragile) planes.
 He picked it up by the thinnest bit of fuselage, right at the tailplane. I quickly told him to put it down, I had seen it compress by half an inch in his hand..... He looked at me as if I was being ridiculous,with kind of 'I know what I am doing' look.
Anyway. Lol.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2022, 11:28:29 pm »

Thats me finished the Rapier superstructure to the point that I can use it, still a lot of details that may get added at some point, my aim is to have all 3 superstructures painted and ready to use, I can worry about details later, the floors are removable on all 3.
 The Edita superstructure is coming along nicely, interior of the wheelhouse is painted, still to make and fit steering/instrument console.
 I have two coats of paint on the outside so far.
 Theres a lot of windows, I have them already cut out, they might need minor trimming. I will glue them in once painting is complete and it has dried for a day or 2. It is water based and dries pretty quick, but you can still smell it a few days later, so obviously still drying.
 The good thing about having extra superstructures is that I can still run the boat with one, while I plod away at finishing the others.
 I just got around to doing the outboards yesterday, I should really have done it at the start but there you go.
 I am hoping to take the white Javelin out soon, maybe get the Rapier top on for a run and some photos and videos.
 I managed to break a steering arm off one outboard while trying to get the (tight) pivot pin out, I was really lucky it wasnt the side of the arm I am using. I have others printed, but they weren't as good prints as the one that I broke.
 It is still fine to use, it will teach me to be more careful, and to allow a bit more clearance in the pivot.
 I opened up the tight pivot hole and bored my pivot pins for small R clips.
Very impressed with the white Javelin, fast enough and I can still go a bit more on prop, nothing was even warm when I brought it in for checking every few minutes. Decent run time too.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: May 14, 2022, 12:11:31 am »

I wanted tiny pins in my 3d printed instrument bezels, so I ordered up some nice brass 7mm ones. How to get them in was the problem, a lift out dashboard would have been a good idea, bit late now, so I came up with my poor man's pin pusher.
 Using the tip section of an old transmitter aerial turned round and fed in to the next section from the bottom, so the rounded end of the outer tube is at the tip of the device. The end of the inner rod is ground flush with the tip of the tube.
 2 small magnets on the side stop the rod sliding about. As the pins are brass, they dont stick to the device. They just have to be balanced in the end of it with a bit poking out to locate the hole it is going into.
 I had maneuvered it between the seats of my Javelin to test it but I will take the seat base/hatch out for doing the rest. I have done one dial/bezel so far.
 It is hard to see that I have done anything. The bare holes, on the ones I haven't done yet, show the yellow of the dashboard and look like they have fixings already.
 Ah well. I might try and find some stainless/bright pins.
 The white boats dashboard should show the brass pins up better than the yellow one does.
 Anyway, my pin pusher works well, the only thing I want to add is syringe style handles on the base of the outer tube, as I have to grip it with one hand and push with the other.
 I will tape some handles on to test it. I have cat thyroid treatment syringes (that I got from mother in law, she knows I recycle stuff😁)
 They were about the right size, just need to find one in my pile of stuff.
 It works as it is, so its only a refinement.
I was going to say which dial I had pinned, but decided to see if anyone can tell which one it is?
I found some nice bits of stainless tubing, 22cm long, tip to tip, nice rounded ends, a relatively nice bend, it looks slightly flattened but not bad.
 6 for £2.99 from aldis.
 I had originally thought about them as exhausts for my boat, but they are too small diameter, and I already have my exhausts made anyway, just to decide best way of fitting them.
 They are a good match for the watercooling tubing, and would make a good waterscoop if cut on the bend.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2022, 12:33:36 am »

The last time I had a chance to run the white boat, I maybe gave it too much throttle right away and as it was just about to get to full speed, it cut out, far enough away that a fisherman felt sorry for me, while I was trying to nudge it closer with a tiny toyabi speedboat, he volunteered to go and get it for me. Very lucky.
 Would have had to be a cold swim with a very wrecked shoulder.
 Anyway, this had me thinking about some kind of rescue boat. Or add something to an existing boat. Sea Rover to the rescue. Lol. I have made my rescue attachment, it has still to be tested. I will put a bit on my Sea Rover post with some pics.
 Anyway, why did my esc trip?
 Using too much throttle?
 Mmm, cheap over rated esc? Possibly.
 I have dropped a prop size and will try it with that, it was plenty fast enough last time. If that stops it tripping, that will do me, if it still does it, I have a higher rated esc available if required.
 I will take it for testing soon, along with Sea Rover.
 I have my newly patched 4 man inflatable dinghy, I will try a trial inflation period in the back garden to see if it's airtight and take that on my boating trip too, in case the rescue boat needs rescued too...... 😁
I found a cat syringe outer for my home made pin pusher. Drilled for a tight fit on aerial tube with a wrap of masking tape around tube to stop it pushing right out the end.
 Still got my other bezels to finish off so will get to try it out properly soon but seems perfect.
I am showing my next project for the first time... Another Javelin.... sort of...
The lower cutout cardboard side view is a standard Javelin size, my version of it anyway, it is different, but lengths etc are close.
 Above it is a 48 inch version, to save ply wastage, lol, and I always wanted a 4 foot Javelin.😁 It is still very much in the early stages of planning, I haven't even decided whether to do a tunnel hull or just go mono. I am tempted towards mono, but still undecided.
 Why go just a little bigger?
 I think my stretched version looks quite good, enough that I want to make it, I like building, so any excuse.... 😁
 I have enough materials. Might have to use frosties packets for decking though, lol.
 I can take the motor and esc out of the white Javelin when the time comes. 2 allen screws and a grub screw. 😁
 Another thing I am thinking of doing, was to design it so that my existing superstructures fit it, I have traced the shape required from the white Javelin.  If I do a tunnel hull, only the Javelin and Edita superstructures will fit, the Rapier has a deeper protruding stairwell bit and would mean the bit of hull under it would need to be deep to take it. It looked very low.
 If I go for mono, it wont be a problem and I can use all 3 tops. It is swinging my decision towards mono.
 I think it will look different enough to not really be a Javelin, more Javelin based and I have another thing I am going to do that I think should make a slight difference. Will need to wait for that though, its a surprise. 😁
 I cant wait. Lol.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: June 05, 2022, 06:07:06 pm »

I have pretty much settled on doing a mono hull version, for now anyway. This will let me use my 3 existing tops/superstructures.
 As it wont be that much different to the other Javelins, why build it?
 Well, I have a good reason for building it, I have always liked being able to swap things between projects and I have always liked pairs of things, just in case one breaks and the fun ends.
 In accordance with this, I actually have a pair of motor setups, one is in use in the Javelin just now but it will be very easily swapped into my new project in about 10 minutes to sit beside it's twin.
 I just like building, any excuse does me, besides, the motor looked so lonely in the Javelin by itself 😁
So, anyway, I am terrible at keeping secrets, I was going to reveal my twin motor project when it was further on, but I couldn't wait. 😁
 I am still working it out in my head and have some frosties boxes joined together ready for drawing my main plan. 😁
 Having narrowed it down to a mono means I can start drawing as soon as I get some energy.
I am still tempted by a twin hull, it would have looked good too, but twin motors meant I would have had to add motor and rudder access hatches in each hull, or go in through the cockpit well, which would be really tight and awkward. Doing it mono eliminates any access issues.
 I may decide to go for a smaller twin hull version to suit the superstructure from my 50cm Edita cabin cruiser. I could do a mini Javelin top for it too, just build it to suit the same hatch opening.
 That will help use up some of the weird shaped scraps from previous builds. I keep most of the bits, anything from bits of 1/16 square spruce up to big 'T' shaped bits of ply with 2 hull skins cut out.
I am still liking the swappable superstructures, it transforms it into a whole new boat.
I will report progress on the twin motor mono project, once I get going, it shouldn't take that long, just some planning, construction and painting, oh yes, painting..... It might take a bit longer then. 😁 Any detailing stuff is mostly on the superstructures already, so just the hull to do.
 I am looking forward to getting started, it isnt going to be that much longer than my other Javelins, but I imagine it will be noticeable when handling it during construction. Be more prone to dings than a shorter one. Just need to be more careful. 😁
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.