Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nonslip Deck  (Read 1019 times)

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Nonslip Deck
« on: September 11, 2022, 02:02:34 pm »

Good Day One & All
Over the years we have tried out many ways to make a nonslip deck for our boats, we have used wet & dry paper, sand, nonslip paint and other items, some look O.K on a larger model but on a small model it can look out of place.

I got talking to an old friend (yes I do have one or two) who has his own garage, he also works on old motorcycles and at times he has to sandblast the odd frame or two, now this got me thinking how would it look if I sandblast the deck, would I get that nonslip look?

I took along some plastic sheet and tried it out, new grit would look O.K on a large deck but for a small model well used grit looks just right, on this I went along to my local Machinemart and got myself a Spotblast gun and some fine grit at a cost of £30, now to start on that nonslip deck.

I can also use it to clean up some old tools that I have.

Fred

That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Nonslip Deck
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 03:18:56 pm »

Sounds a bit extreme to me Fred but, of course, you don't know if you don't try...

I'm intrigued by the possibility and would be grateful if you could let us know how it goes.

Hope it works anyway  :-)

Ray.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 03:32:12 pm »

Lot to do before you use that gun, LOCK it away until you get the rest of the gear you need, like an airtight box, a good mask, goggles etc. You can reclaim your grit from the box, dont do it in the open as it gets everywhere and you use an awful lot of grit. Plenty of info on the web, nemesis

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 05:25:47 pm »

I used a textured spray paint for the non slip areas.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2022, 07:20:23 pm »

Well, that certainly looks the business - good of you to put this one up as another option, thanks Umi.  :-))

Ray.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 04:47:11 am »

Hi One & All
I have all the safety gear from when I was restoring my old Ducati (wish I still had it), just not the sandblaster, all I now need to do is make a box to work in.

I do like how your textured paint has come out Umi_Ryuzki, my attempt just did not look right, that is why I have gone down the sandblaster rout.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 11:23:48 am »

I tried this way to get the non-slip effect on the 1:48 PBS. The top is what seems to be the standard USN type finish and applied wet direct to the bare metal deck.
Acrylic filler mixed with chalk or talc to a paste, spread on thin card and then stippled several times with the edge of a ruler. The more you stipple the more it spreads and the finer the coverage. Let it dry then cut out the bits you want and stick down with pva/spray adhesive or whatever. Paint before or after you stick to suit.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 03:44:45 pm »

Hi Tony

Now that is a new one for me, I must say it looks good.
I may give it a try on my Deans Liberty ship as some of them had some thing that looks the same on the front of the bridge.

Fred

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 05:35:05 pm »

Hi Fred,
Assuming the deck colour, including any anti-slip areas on the Liberty run into each other, then painting after sticking is better because you shouldn't get any pond water under the edge of the cardboard. Not that you would, of course %)
Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.