Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What yacht is this?  (Read 1979 times)

Paul HD

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
What yacht is this?
« on: October 19, 2021, 03:28:44 pm »

Hi All,

Just bought this and I love it.
I was told it is a 36r Bread & Butter built.  I would like to know a bit more about it. Was this sold as a kit? What do you think the age is? 
I assume the letters are a sailing club, do you know which one?

Look forward to hearing what you think. :-))

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What is it?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 08:24:24 pm »

Hello Paul that is a very attractive model yacht, no wonder you love it! 

The sails are new and modern also the sail booms are simple the 'boom vang' sometimes known as a Cunningham at the base of the main mast is a modern type. 

I assume there are no numbers at the top part of the main sail?
The cover with the S L Model Yacht Club might ring a bell with some other members of the forum.  The hatch cover looks original. The deck looks like it has been drawn on by a master, it looks perfect. 

It seems to have a cambre and it could be the original deck. Is it possible to see the edge of the deck where the cover fits?  If so is this a single piece of wood?  That was the norm for pre-war 2 model yachts.  That is before the more common use of plywood.

The completely faired in keel hides the lead cast weight and the rudder is positioned to allow for a vane steering system also the main sail allows space at the stern for the vane mechanism.  Another possibility is that the restorer went for a high aspect ratio sail.

My fairly positive guess would be that this is an old hull that has had a complete make over.  I suspect it is from the 1950s as the hull looks a bit familiar. 

As the 1960s approached then the glues became more available and reliable and as good wood was not so easy to obtain then plank on frame construction was being used.  Prior to this plank on frame was mainly screwed in place with a bitumen or red lead sealant.

Quite a neat job of updating to radio control.

So to sum up probably 1950s, nice touch to keep the hatch cover as it was.  New mast (probably) and new sails, I use the same dress fastener system to attach sails to the mast, where there is a 'jack-stay' tight on the mast ( should be taut but not bend the mast) to keep the main sail free to move with the wind.

Does she sail on a beam reach (sails out about 30 degrees) 'hands off'?  I would be interested to know.

Lovely job, perhaps you could send me a PM as to how much you paid for the yacht?
Good luck sailing her
Roy

Paul HD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 09:31:15 pm »

Hi Roy,

Thank you for all the info, that is very kind of you. It would make my day if it was from the 50's.

I took a closer pic of the deck. The deck measures just under 2mm. I got the impression it might of been Formica or something on that line. But I think it is ply with a good paint finish. The lines are amazing.

The deck does look like it has a camber but it is actually flat.

The mast is Aluminium and painted to look like wood. It splits in three places, very useful to pack away I suppose. No numbers on the sails.

I have not had a chance to sail her yet. I will report back on that.

Cheers,
Paul.

garethjones35

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 09:28:52 am »

Paul,

I think Roy is pretty well spot on with his identification.  It looks like a 1950's 36R class yacht, originally intended for vane steering and subsequently converted for radio control.  The restoration seems fairly recent and uses some relatively modern fittings.  I can't identify the design but one of my old plans handbooks lists a 36R design called Eagle by A W Littlejohn, a well known figure in the model yachting world at that time.  Unfortunately I have never seen a drawing or example of that design so I can't confirm whether it is that one.  The model was almost certainly originally built from scratch to a plan, either one published in the magazines of the time or bought from the designer.  its unlikely to have been a kit.  I have sent a link to this thread to Charles Smith of the Vintage Model Yacht Group who is the custodian of the old 36R registers to see if he can add any more information on the yacht.

Gareth

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 11:25:07 am »

Deck may be 2mm thick but that is not enough information to hazard a guess to length and beam? Gizza clue. My 1955 Aeromuddler plans handbook shows pickies but also tells sizes.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Paul HD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2021, 02:16:37 pm »

Hi Gareth,

Great info and thanks for asking Charles Smith. I will do some searching on A W Littlejohn and the Eagle.  :-)) 

Hi Ian,

Just took some measurements.

Length.  36.5 inch
Beam at the widest point.  8.5 inches
Bottom of keel to the deck.  11 inches
mast.  57.5 inches

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2021, 02:44:50 pm »

looks very much like "Windbird" by H.B. Tucker.   Plan MM349.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Paul HD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2021, 04:45:34 pm »

looks very much like "Windbird" by H.B. Tucker.   Plan MM349.

Regards  Ian.

Thanks Ian,
I will look up H.B. Tucker and Windbird.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What yacht is this?
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 07:21:26 pm »

Hi Paul I suggest you copy your photos to the VMYG (Vintage model yacht group) and ask what it is, the main ones are the full sideways view including keel and your own measurements for l x b x d.  The 36R ( R means restricted not radio) has to weigh no more than 12 pounds and fit in a box of given size.

They are always keen to see a restored yacht, the plan MM349 was in the Model Maker magazine in November 1954.  Your hull also looks like a give away plan from Int, Marine Modelling called 'Playaway' which although recent was redrawn from a 1937 plan.

I noticed this as I have a remarkably similar original hull but plank on frame, it has many problems i.e. no deck and a bit fragile in places, I do hope I get round to restoring it as I have some old masts and spars as well.
best of luck I am off the air now for 5 days.
regards
Roy

tarmstro

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2021, 12:53:51 pm »

Thanks Ian,
I will look up H.B. Tucker and Windbird.

I do not think it is a Windbird, as the keel looks too small. Looke at the plans here: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/design/windbird

You may try to compare it with different plans available for other 36R boats here: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/class/36in

tradboat

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2021, 10:23:28 pm »

Paul hi.

Gareth kindly emailed me with a link to your query and the Moderator kindly let me join the Forum.  So this is my first time on Mayhem and I'm hoping a ll goes well.

[/size][size=78%] [/size][/size]Like Gareth, I am member of the VMYG, edit their magazine and am a great fan of the 36.  More importantly I have the 36 R Register in digital format now, from 1 to 1000 and an Eagle appears a follows:[size=78%]

[/size]
Registered in 1951, No 716, owned by J Schofield and built (possibly) by G Schofield . The design is by Lance, and the club is listed as Doncaster.
The SLMYC was based at Hampton Court (South London MYC) until it was absorbed by the 6 Metre Owners Association next door - but's that is a long way from Doncaster.  Perhaps there is a local club with those initials. They  seem to have registered three 36s on the same day - often the case that a club would apply to the MYA for a block of numbers. Do we know more about the history of the boat?Curiously I have just started a bit of research into Lance of which there seem to have been two. Its possible that this is a pre war design but I will have to do a bit more work and post for you when I know more. If anyone can help swith a bit more about the Lance family I would be gratefulIn the meantime I have attached (I hope) a snippet from the registerBeautiful boat!  CheersCharles[size=78%]

Paul HD

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 10:45:42 pm »

Paul hi.

Gareth kindly emailed me with a link to your query and the Moderator kindly let me join the Forum.  So this is my first time on Mayhem and I'm hoping a ll goes well.

Like Gareth, I am member of the VMYG, edit their magazine and am a great fan of the 36.  More importantly I have the 36 R Register in digital format now, from 1 to 1000 and an Eagle appears a follows:
Registered in 1951, No 716, owned by J Schofield and built (possibly) by G Schofield . The design is by Lance, and the club is listed as Doncaster.
The SLMYC was based at Hampton Court (South London MYC) until it was absorbed by the 6 Metre Owners Association next door - but's that is a long way from Doncaster.  Perhaps there is a local club with those initials. They  seem to have registered three 36s on the same day - often the case that a club would apply to the MYA for a block of numbers. Do we know more about the history of the boat?Curiously I have just started a bit of research into Lance of which there seem to have been two. Its possible that this is a pre war design but I will have to do a bit more work and post for you when I know more. If anyone can help swith a bit more about the Lance family I would be gratefulIn the meantime I have attached (I hope) a snippet from the registerBeautiful boat!  CheersCharles[size=78%]

[/size]
[size=78%]

Hi Charles,

Thank you so much for getting back to us with this incredible info.  I did ask the previous owner about the history of the boat but he did not tell me too much.
He is a member of the club I have just joined and I will try to find out some more info.

This is all very exciting. :-))

Thanks Gareth for passing on the info to Charles.

Chat soon,
Paul.

[/size]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.