Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rudder shaft  (Read 2063 times)

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
rudder shaft
« on: October 21, 2021, 04:08:50 pm »

hi all sorry for all the questions ive been asking lately  .but  i have just noticed the rudder blades(wooden) are not attached to the shafts(metal) of the banckert  i am doing...my question is what glue is best to permanently attach the shafts to the rudders any help is much appreciated ,also is it possible to operate  2 rudder shafts off 1 servo

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: rudder shaft
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2021, 06:32:36 pm »

A 30 minute epoxy would be good for bonding the rudder shaft to the rudders.
This ancient sketch shows how two rudders would be run from one servo.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2021, 07:31:18 pm »

Just to add to Umi's response, I would also put a brass pin through the rudder and shaft.
Here is the twin rudder set up on one of my models.

Don't Assume Check

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2021, 07:34:44 pm »

many thanks umi and doug i will copy your set up  :-))

RST

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2021, 07:26:39 pm »

It's probably easier to keep track if you post up on your build thread but just to add I would thoroughly rough up the rudder stock where it's embedded in the rudder blade.  I'd mask off the length in the rudder tube as you don't want to scuff that, then attack with jewelers files / junior hacksaw blade / rough sandpaper, then clean the roughened shaft with some form of solvent (not paint thinner).  It helps the epoxy to grip hard. Put some epoxy down the hole as well as on the shaft.  Don't take the masking tape off until the two are pushed in, then carefully clean any epoxy that remains off the exposed shaft.  If you're careful, you can wait until the epoxy has greened (started to set) then scrape any residue off while it's "rubbery".  I'd also agree with Umi, if you can measure and drill accurate enough, a pin through as belt and braces and the exposed ends very carefully filed then sanded back after.  Better a belt and braces once, than repairing later.

Rich

PS, is that rudder stock slightly bent or is it just the lens.  Might be easier to straighten it before you assemble.

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 07:40:01 pm »

Regarding drilling for a pin. You have to be spot on centre of shaft, which you cannot see, otherwise the drill will wander and you end up with a mess. Been the , got the T Shirt. nemesis

RST

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 07:59:03 pm »

Yes I admit it's tricky, doable but tricky and if you really rough up the shaft and make sure the adhesive bonds well, maybe an overkill.

merseyferry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2021, 06:40:56 am »

thanks all for the advice,i might give the drill and pin idea a miss (my eyes are not what they were once)  i will rough up shaft  like suggested and mask off before i glue

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2021, 09:28:48 am »

On my yacht rudders, when they are built up from laminated sheets, I put a bend in the shaft and cut a matching slot in the middle layer of the sandwich. 
On boats with a rudder where that is not possible, I file a flat part of the way in so that a D shape is offered.  Then use epoxy as RST has mentioned.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RST

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 01:18:28 am »

On my yacht rudders, when they are built up from laminated sheets, I put a bend in the shaft and cut a matching slot in the middle layer of the sandwich. 
On boats with a rudder where that is not possible, I file a flat part of the way in so that a D shape is offered.  Then use epoxy as RST has mentioned.

...Yes I agree but you might as well advise the OP re-makes the assembly compared to what he has which I wager if he sufficiently roughs up the shaft to b*****Y and uses a decent slow set epoxy it will probably work OK.  For all it is I might well do what you suggest but he might not feel confident to do so although it's simple to re-make.

How are you getting on with it so far Merseyferry?

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 21 queries.