Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell Flower class corvette Snowberry 1/72 restarted  (Read 46352 times)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Revell Flower class corvette Snowberry 1/72 restarted
« on: October 24, 2021, 11:09:21 am »

Hi all;
I have restarted to build this corvette for the first time in 15 years which I had suspended due to starting newly arrived HMS Fencer 1/96 in those days. %)
 This plastic model ship is generally popular with model ship fans and many fans seem to have converted to RC models already at the same time have been enjoying the sailings.
I will also want to be one of those fans and this model ship will be my winter project to be possibly finished in next spring or summer..?? O0 %%
I checked the kit contents briefly.
1;I opened the box to see how the contents were maintained for 15 years....
2;Some grease came out of the stern tube and congealed to be so sticky with some rust.
3;some nipples were also rusted heavily.
4;Rudder tube is OK.
5;Bottom of hull is also OK.
6;A micro-pump is well maintained with no defects.
7;Underside of the rear deck is good as well.
8;A rough work schedule is also found as a master plan. {-) O0 ;D
I am going to enjoy assembling this fantastic model kit as far as next summer as well as to enjoy model ship boating on the water even in the winter...?? O0 {-) %)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Revell Flower class corvette Snowberry 1/72 restarted
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2021, 03:17:46 pm »

HI There i like these flower class covetes an they make a nice model to sail but look a bit small on the water but after 15 yrs well better late than never lol
an good luck with your build i will be following your build an sailing
Chris  :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 12:47:23 pm »

Hi frogman3;
Thanks a lot for your kind comment.! %%
This corvette 1/72 may look small on the water,but actual length is 87 cm(34.3 inches) and a rather large plastic model ship for a corvette for me...?? ok2

Pics for today on this corvette 1/72 are as follows;
I checked and cleaned the hull up in order to get her as was 15 years before.This is my first work to restart in 15 years.
1; I removed toooo old sticky grease from the stern tube.
2;Also removed the rust inside the nipples.
3;I prepared for the tests of a micro pump and homemade water jacket to see if the water should be sucked and drained through the tube.
4;I tested with 4.5 V.
5;And the result...well drained as shown..I thought 1.5V might be suitable for this kind of slow-moving ship.
  This is not a fast boat.!
6;Test of smoke generator.. fundamentally OK,but could be much better with a bit more oil.This could be later adjusted.
7;Overall layout
8;The smoke generator is to be on the metal plate.
 I don't think it necessary necessarily to set a water cooling for this slow ship,but in a sense I want to do it to add a scale realism by draining the water from the hull side near the waterline as often seen in a ship at anchor. {-) ;) %)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 03:56:07 pm »

HI Backearther love your build an your home made water cooler very well made that an your smoke unit looks good an is it an oil in it to make the smoke  ?  as im building boatmans HMS TIGER  IN 1/72 SCALE so our ship are in the same scale so we have something in common an my build is on here but im called on here frogman 3 an i have also fitted in a water steam unit which is fairly big an uses normal tap water but i will be following your build when you post as im a regular poster on here
ALL THE BEST to you Sir
chris  :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 02:57:17 am »

Hi frogman3 and plastic RC model ship fans;
My smoke generator uses smelly oil,but this ship is intended to go lake going corvette which will normally sail about 20 or 30m away from the shore on the week days with actually no people around me so that I don't care for that so much. O0 {-)
1/2;I intend to smoke nearly this level,if possible.The pic shows the smoking test of large size unit used in my HMS Fencer       1/96(63.8in long).
3/4/5;Even if smoking volume is judged OK on the bench test,actual view of the smoking on the water/lake is like this level..    because of ship speed,wind and the distance from the shore.!!The pic shows the test run at a launching day.
6;Smoking test has not yet been confirmed after fully completed so far,because I spent much time to find the best balance conditions as an aircraft carrier is,as you may know, generally top heavy.!! {:-{ :(( <:(
But I got a best balancing method to go even on the lake with 10kg low flat lead ingots for ballast at last. {-) %% %)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 10:06:33 am »

HI Backearther well it looks  like youve got everthing covered an some nice pics of your carrier  as i built a USS NIMITZ in 1/144 at nr 9 ft long an yes you are right to say the carriers are quite top heavy here is a link pic of my NIMITZ sailing but i did not use metal wheights but i used batteyierys as my counterbalance wheight as if you got to have weight in the ship it may as well be a power point in my veiw anyway an here in the link is my NIMITZ sailing an it did quite well even in high winds
chris ps looking forward to more of your build
https://ibb.co/Bc7xWPn :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2021, 01:25:19 pm »

Hi frogman3;
Again,I am so much surprised to see your super carrier USS Nimitz 1/144!!!! :-)) :-)) :-))
I guess you might have been annoyed to get a good balance,since the USS Nimitz looks to much top heavier than HMS Fencer
due to an angled deck peculiar to modern USS carriers.!!!
I wonder where you built such a super carrier and how you transported her to the lake...??
Before I decided to build my HMS Fencer,I once had thought to challenge a 1/96 USS Essex in vain, as there was no space to build nor a car to transport to the lakeside ,nor to get her to the water, nor to store her...!!! O0 {-) %%
HMS Fencer 1/96 is possibly the largest to build in my work shop.

My work shop is toooo small.!!! <:( <:( <:( {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2021, 01:53:15 pm »

Hi frogman3;
Again,I am so much surprised to see your super carrier USS Nimitz 1/144!!!! :-)) :-)) :-))
I guess you might have been annoyed to get a good balance,since the USS Nimitz looks to much top heavier than HMS Fencer
due to an angled deck peculiar to modern USS carriers.!!!
I wonder where you built such a super carrier and how you transported her to the lake...??
Before I decided to build my HMS Fencer,I once had thought to challenge a 1/96 USS Essex in vain, as there was no space to build nor a car to transport to the lakeside ,nor to get her to the water, nor to store her...!!! O0 {-) %%
HMS Fencer 1/96 is possibly the largest to build in my work shop.

My work shop is toooo small.!!! <:( <:( <:( {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

HI Again  yes its a pity your workshop is too small but we have to put up with what we have got hav'nt we ? an my NIMITZ was built in our kitchen on the table  as my wife  jen is fairly easy goin an she says as long as i hover up the dirt an such an keep her kitchen clean i could build in there as it was a big kitchen an the NIMITZ came in half like my tiger does so its easy to carry an easy to transport up our pond an i have two big congreate pond both within a 30 mins drive so im very lucky there an your fencer looks a very nice build could you please take so pics of the insides ?  as i always like to see different ideas an at the moment while im building tiger i am sailing my 1/72 6ft long HMS NORFOLK TYPE 23 FRIGATE  but pleased  to meet  you an hope to hear more from you as its nice to see each others models is;nt   it
BEST WISHES 
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2021, 02:07:06 pm »

Hi backether + Chris
Few shots of my 1/96 HMS Hermes, stability no probelem, one large Armoured Car battery solved that and transported in the car (Ford Sierra) in one piece on a special frame with all seats down, tight squeeze but douablw.

Bob

I will finish this model

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2021, 03:00:56 pm »

Hi Rob47;

Your carrier is also big and long enough to have made me so impressed with her scale realism.
You did a very very good job on this model,superb carrier with a realistic weathering!! :-)) :-)) :-))
How many times do you normally sail her ?

Your country's HMS Queen Elizabeth has been around my country to keep a good job for peace,together with some navies.!

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 03:20:19 pm »

Hi frogman3;
Inside of my HMS Fencer is like these,sorry for not good view shots.
1;Seeing the bow direction
2;Seeing the stern direction
3/4;Detachable ballast of lead ingots totalling to about 10kgs by which the planed water line is kept.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2021, 05:20:54 pm »

Hi frogman3;
Inside of my HMS Fencer is like these,sorry for not good view shots.
1;Seeing the bow direction
2;Seeing the stern direction
3/4;Detachable ballast of lead ingots totalling to about 10kgs by which the planed water line is kept.

CHEERS for the views in your carrier  an yes she looks nice sailing with her planes on just like my NIMITZ as i had 54 planes on my NIMITZ how many have you got on your hms fencer as i fitted in the planes nav lights 2mm leds an tiny motors for the hawkeye propellers an they looked very good an it got put in a model boat magazine  to my amazement
chris

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 05:59:57 am »

Hi frogman3;
I have set an another new thread for the  RC aircraft carrier models on here and take a look at there.
You may post Nimitz related articles there and many aircraft carrier model fans may pay possibly much attention to that! :-))

Let's take off to the new thread for the RCed aircraft carriers models.!! O0 {-) ok2

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 11:03:06 am »

Getting back to main theme of the thread..
I made a brief balance test after temporarily installing main equipment in the hull.
The result is that she needs lots of ballast to get a planed water line. Therefore,I intend to decide finally how much of weight is to be fixed in the hull just before installing the decks to the hull.!
1/2/3/4;Main component layout
5/6;Temporarily installing two decks to see if an easy access is expected....OK!
7;Bath test and I found the water line came  about 1.5cm lower than the planed level. O0 :-)

Next to be done is to confirm if smoking and water drain could be done by radio operation completely as well as screw prop revolution and rudder movement.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 09:21:20 pm »

HI  Kiyoshi LOOKING forward to seein this built :-))
chris

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2021, 05:59:54 am »

Looks great  :-)) :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2021, 11:20:19 am »

Hi Chris and dreadnought;

A great thanks for your kind comments.
This kind of conversion project to RCed plastic model ship is very interesting for me as this ship is rather small to make and convenient to store in my rabbit hutch! {-) {-) O0 O0 ok2

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2021, 01:42:03 pm »

Hi Backerther
I built the HMCS Snowberry kit back in 1999 as my first rc model,in a flat with my wife and that place was like a shoebox lol 😂
Actually it was a great model, as it was fun to build and went together well.
When I eventually got it on the water it handled really well.  :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2021, 10:56:59 am »

Hi Dreadnought;
Can I see some pics of your HMCS Snowberry on here?  If possible, those on the water where I think  is the best place for the
water crafts.??

Pics;in my work shop like a rabbit hutch truly!! {-) {-) O0 O0 <:( <:(

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2021, 01:50:57 pm »

Hi Backerther[/size]I sold my HMCS Snowberry quite a wile ago and sadly
I didn’t take any pictures of it at the time.
Your workshop looks very cosy lol 😂

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2021, 11:35:34 am »

Hi all;

A little progress was made in the pics below.
Yes, I made what I call a "water sucking rudder" for just draining the cooling water like full scale ships generally do from the hull side near the water line. {-) %%

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2021, 05:46:52 pm »

Clever!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2021, 05:55:21 pm »

yes this gent [/size]Kiyoshi[/font] is a very clever chap  an very good work on that rudder for a water intake so the rudder is doin two things steering the ship an suckin water yes very clever indeed 
chris  :-))

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2021, 11:05:37 am »

I built mine from the original Matchbox kit in 1982, still have it and as yet not started its refit number 6 - i think - anyway, its also sank once due to U weed dragging her down and luckily was recovered by a safety marshal at the water when an event was ongoing (this has been mentioned before years ago).

From experience the weight of ballast which was to use a battery as part of that was 6lb in old money, the RC was an Acoms - so a standard 2002 servo for the rudder, a bobs board and 2002 servo, a receiver and 4 x AA cell battery pack, the motor is a 6v decaperm with a reduction gear, i think that is still in there, the motors battery power was either 2 or 4 C cell batteries, and yes it didn't last long, but it did work, in the following refits the battery was changed to gel block that became the ballast, futaba radio gear that included (and I think is still inside it) a M20 ? speed controller, and various cosmetic changes, if I was to do the next refit it would entail redoing the access as currently the whole top, bar the front anchor area, is removed for full access, I will have to do some photos.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2021, 03:56:47 am »

Hi Martin and frogman3;

Thanks a lot for your kind comments.!! And I'm terribly sorry to be late in replying to you since I came back to Tokyo yesterday from a journey by car to the mountainous park in 2 nights and 3 days for the purpose of running my 1/10 RC rock crawler and appreciating autumnal views there. %% :-)) ok2

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.