Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Revell Flower class corvette Snowberry 1/72 restarted  (Read 46747 times)

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Revell Flower class corvette Snowberry 1/72 restarted
« Reply #125 on: December 26, 2021, 12:36:21 pm »

Hi Kiyo

Just a suggestion.
To be honest, I would probably have more problems making a strong build of delicate structures from plastic and CA than brass and solder. I suppose it is just what you are used to working with. Your structures look very nice.

Lou

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2021, 08:38:17 am »

Hi all;

My Snowberry has come up with this stage slowly though..we have had a tremendous heavy snow on the coast of the Japan sea..in the latest few days unlike past few years.Many highways have been so jammed with vehicles obliged to stop making in a line of around 2 miles here and there along the coast.. :((
But I am enjoying to assemble my Snowberry as per the instruction manuals faithfully in a warm tiny room only today and will be my missis's servant from tomorrow to help her household works for the New Year's days.... {-) {-) O0 O0 {:-{ {:-{ :o :o

Kiyo

Niall

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2021, 02:42:52 pm »

One point, if its not too late.
 The kit instructions has the sides of the wheelhouse the wrong way round. The vertical lines at the rear sides of the wheelhouse are actually sliding doors and these should be at the front of the wheelhouse.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2021, 03:15:40 pm »

You then have to ask - how many have been made with the sliding doors in the wrong place  :embarrassed:
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2021, 03:32:47 pm »

We have quite a few in
our Club. Will be doing
quite a bit of bridge door
inspections at the lake in
2022😊
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2021, 08:28:21 pm »

Now there is something I never knew! I will have to go down to the basement again and check how I did mine 40 years ago! Probably backwards. :((

Did it snow all over the world yesterday? We had 6" in the Seattle area, A friend back east had 4' or more. He is not sure.

Better do a good job for the wife or she may not let you get back to your corvette until NEXT year! <*<

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #131 on: December 29, 2021, 01:10:07 am »

A camp owner at wanatchee lake who is friends with my son (he worked there two summers) and the wife via facebook shared a perfect christmas picture scene of the snow at the lake.  :-))  I will see if she can copy it to my PC and I will share it.

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: December 29, 2021, 02:38:42 am »

My wife and I spent a winter weekend at Lake Wenatchee years ago. It was very beautiful but the wind off the lake was COLD!!!!! :o

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: December 29, 2021, 06:23:10 am »

Hi Niall;
Thank you for your profound comment on the structures of the corvette,by which I was so surprised as you had known such details of the ship...I understand that RN must have left and kept huge amount of documents concerning warships and war records...unlike our IJN...neraly nothing ... {:-{ :(( <:(

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: December 29, 2021, 06:29:43 am »

Hi Netleyned;
Thank you for your comment and I do look forward to your report on "controversial"point of the corvette as well as happy boating pics of the corvettes and other boats as well.

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: December 29, 2021, 06:35:33 am »

Hi warspite;

I do look forward to your saying "a perfect Christmas picture scene of the snow at the lake" %% :D ♩~♪~♬~(^^♪

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: December 29, 2021, 07:14:35 am »

Hi Lou;

How do you spend the time at a cold lake as the lake Wenatchee in the winter..skiing or RC boating on the beautiful lake? If so, how I envy you. :D
I make it a practise to spend the winter season on RC life like the followings normally ...not now on the snowy places for RC car..
The pics were in Feb,2017.
Kiyo

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: December 29, 2021, 09:53:55 am »

Hi Lou;

How do you spend the time at a cold lake as the lake Wenatchee in the winter..skiing or RC boating on the beautiful lake? If so, how I envy you. :D
I used to spend like the followings as usual...not now on the snowy places for RC car..
The pics were in Feb,2017.
Kiyo

This time of year the water at Lake Wenatchee is a little stiff! Much more suitable for your RC car!

No matter how hard I try I cannot get pictures to post on this forum so i will have to send them to you.
Lou  >>:-( [size=78%] [/size]

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #138 on: December 29, 2021, 01:03:35 pm »

Lake wanatchee is about half way between Seattle and the famous Coulee Dam, the area near by used to be a major apple growing area, the lake has a YMCA camp on it and is used by the YMCA for children summer camps and week / weekend retreats from Seattle Washington state, at this time of year the snow gets very deep (even deeper at the moment apparently), Here is the picture the wife received from Tim at wanatchee.

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: December 29, 2021, 11:35:21 pm »

Here are the pictures I was trying to post  still unhappy with the results and effort required.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #140 on: December 30, 2021, 11:59:07 am »

Hi warspite;

Really really great picture just like a typical post card....It's stunningly beautiful, and a really"perfect Christmas picture scene"
as you have referred.
My old wife was soooo impressed with this pic and said that she wished to copy it as a photo for her own use,if it is OK
at your side.?! She has ever been to Seattle en route to Canada when she was single.

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: December 30, 2021, 12:09:56 pm »

Hi all;

As for my Snowberry;

She has come up to this stage ,a little progress as usual..

Kiyo

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: December 30, 2021, 04:29:36 pm »

One point, if its not too late.
 The kit instructions has the sides of the wheelhouse the wrong way round. The vertical lines at the rear sides of the wheelhouse are actually sliding doors and these should be at the front of the wheelhouse.
Just checked my HMS Bluebell, guess what, wrong way round :((

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2021, 08:06:32 am »

Hi all;
A little progress was also made for today like these,slowly but securely like a turtle.. {-) O0
I wonder something like a wall just behind the gun platform is a wave shield,wind shield or blast shield against a main gun firing...or it appears to me something so obstructive for the navigators to navigate the ship in addition to many other fittings near by.... {:-{ :(( Moreover,eye level in the wheel house seems so low due to the existence of the gun platform.. {:-{

Kiyo

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2021, 10:09:46 am »

Nice progress Kiyo

You must have done a good job on getting the work done for your wife and she let you have extra building time.

Have a good New Year

Lou :}

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2021, 10:26:45 am »

Hi Lou;
That's right Lou!
I spent over 6 hours on the day for her household works. Up to the last years,I used to spend 3 days for such works before
New Years eve. {:-{ :(( <:(  Our country is generally "Men first"while"Ladies first"here in my home..... :(( {:-{ <:( {-) {-)

I wish you a very happy new year to you and your family. :-))
Kiyo

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2021, 10:41:11 am »

Most men state they are the boss - but in private, most would admit the wife is, hence the acronym SWMBO.

I noticed you have not rectified the wheelhouse side walls - are you keeping it the way most of us have built it  - to the kit plans or will you be correcting it shortly, its a major undertake for most of us.

As for the picture, I do not know if I can give permission that is not mine to give as its a picture from the YMCA Lake Wanatchee facebook page. (i got permission from tim first, as he is mexico on holiday, he was kind enough to send a message via facebook)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2021, 12:50:24 pm »

Hi all;
A little progress was also made for today like these,slowly but securely like a turtle.. {-) O0
I wonder something like a wall just behind the gun platform is a wave shield,wind shield or blast shield against a main gun firing...or it appears to me something so obstructive for the navigators to navigate the ship in addition to many other fittings near by.... {:-{ :(( Moreover,eye level in the wheel house seems so low due to the existence of the gun platform.. {:-{

Kiyo
In a warship the helmsman in the wheelhouse doesn't need to see anything outside, in larger ships they were in a closed armoured citadel for protection. They are given steering instructions from the bridge where the officers are and have good view. Navigation also can be done in a closed space following course details passed down from the bridge to be plotted on the chart.The wall behind the gun platform separates the gun from ready use lockers for the 4inch and the ammunition hoist so is probably blast protection.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2021, 08:26:08 pm »

Hi Lou;
That's right Lou!
I spent over 6 hours on the day for her household works. Up to the last years,I used to spend 3 days for such works before
New Years eve. {:-{ :(( <:(  Our country is generally "Men first"while"Ladies first"here in my home..... :(( {:-{ <:( {-) {-)

I wish you a very happy new year to you and your family. :-))
Kiyo

Believe me, it is probably that way all over the world. The woman is master at home no matter what the rest of the culture says outside.

I agree with Jim that full vision from the pilot house windows is not really needed as they mostly con the ship from the bridge above. In ships where they do have visibility from the pilot house the head helmsman in more restricted waters can usually be trusted to maintain a course through the channels until they reach open sea without the officer of the deck having to give constant helm corrections. Probably not something that happened in corvettes. Most of what the helmsman needs to see are located to either side anyway and can easily be seen from either side of the pilot house by standing outside the doors, (If they are located in the right place ;) ) The bridge just has a better view overhead and directly forward. Operating in reverse is also mostly a leap in faith for many ships including corvettes. Even from the higher bridge the view aft leaves something to be desired.

I also agree that the shield behind the gun platform is at least partly a blast shield to help protect items aft. The muzzle blast from a 4" can be considerable. I do not have accounts of blast of a 4", but a 5"/25 as was used on the USS Houston and other American ships was severe enough that it would blow the covering off of the scout aircraft if they were on the launch rails when the guns fired. I would think that the shield would also help break the green water that would often come over the bow as well, and stop it from hitting the pilot house directly. 

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #149 on: January 01, 2022, 02:16:17 am »

Hi Jim and Lou;

A great thanks for your courteous explanations on "the wall" and views from the wheelhouse.
I fully could understand why so many fittings were located just  in front of or around the wheelhouse...
However it must be so hard for the captain or other navigators to work on the roof of the wheelhouse in the open air
if under the bad weather or high wave.... {:-{ <:(

Kiyo
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.