Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Revell Flower class corvette Snowberry 1/72 restarted  (Read 46454 times)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Revell Flower class corvette Snowberry 1/72 restarted
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2022, 01:14:19 pm »

And the blast sheild on the snowberry looks to have been cut back to allow space
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #176 on: January 07, 2022, 01:59:42 pm »

I also cut it out, but it's precisely as per the kit instructions that is rather smaller than a pic of the real ship. {:-{ %)

By the way,I am building two Oerlikon 20mm single gun mounts as below.
I added some minor modifications to the guns as I did not compromise the appearance even if I did not intend to pay
much attention to the authenticity or details.
1; kit version gun mount(gun shield to be followed later also with some modification)
2-6;My compromisable result....the rest will be shield and....
  The guns are able to only traverse.
Anyhow,kit version is so coarse !!Even I am unable to bear that ugly profile at all.!! <:( <*< >:-o

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2022, 04:36:48 pm »

Very nice improvement Kiyo

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2022, 07:20:22 pm »

When I built mine many years ago I ended up getting 2 Airfix Air Sea Rescue launch kits to get a decent pair of Oerlikons and Vickers machine guns.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2022, 08:56:18 pm »

Now days that kit is probably harder and possibly more expensive than finding a new corvette. <:(

Another possibly slightly less expensive route could be:  [size=78%]https://www.shapeways.com/product/AXLDY3Q6Y/1-72-usn-oerlikon-20-mm-single[/size]
or: [size=78%]https://micromaster.co.nz/products/1-72-royal-navy-20mm-oerlikon-mkviia-gun-45%C2%BA-elevation[/size]

My personal choice would be Micro Master. I have bought products from them before and their detail is beyond compare. They also make a number of other parts that would super detail the 1/72 corvette, along with pretty much emptying the hobby funds and possibly risking any relationships you may have!
[size=78%]https://micromaster.co.nz/search?type=product%2C&q=1%2F72[/size]  <*<  I have caused enough damage here for now, I will go back into my corner and hide now. :-X [size=78%] [/size]

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2022, 08:13:38 am »

Hi all;

These are the Oerlikon 20mm single gun mounts designed and produced by Kiyo especially for my Revell Snowberry. {-) {-) {-) :embarrassed: :embarrassed:   When building these guns,I did not mind of the real Oerlikon gun so much. {-) {-) %% :-))
I just wanted to make far better guns than the kit designed guns. {-) {-)
1;Revell designed gun
2/3;I built my Oerlikon guns
4/5/6/7;My Oerlikon guns completed like these that have me satisfied to a certain extent for installing aboard my Snowberry.

Kiyo

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2022, 09:03:06 am »

Much improved over what comes out of the box. Nice work Kiyo!

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2022, 10:47:16 am »

Hi Lou,

A great thanks for your compliment on my designed Oerlikon 20mm single gun mount for my Snowberry.! %%
It'll be fine tomorrow around my local lake so that I am preparing for going to sail my 1m semi-scale cruiser boat Jupiter F-99
that has been refitted with a 150A ESC for better run on the lake. :D :embarrassed:

According to the weather forecast,it'll be 1m/s north wind which is the best for all RC boats and ships to sail.
Especially  the best for the scale ships,as you know, mirror-like surface of the lake does never look realistic when sailing
though safe and stable to do....

1/3;This day must be 1-2m/s wind and wave looks comparatively realistic for me.
2;So calm on the surface....not so good for me
Kiyo

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2022, 12:30:45 pm »

On my corvette I replaced the 20mm guns with a 1/35th scale 0.5" machine guns from a couple of tamiya jeeps - so even more out of scale, the rear bofors is a standard Airfix converted kit with crew, though the correct scale, they are desert clothes aboard a vessel where the rest of the crew are in heavy cold wet weather coats

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2022, 02:47:30 am »

That is interesting.

I also was able to get out and run my boat today for the first time in two months. It ran OK but I am still not completely happy with it. It was cold but still had a good time. Your carrier looks very impressive Kiyo.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2022, 08:34:21 am »

Hi Lou;

It's so nice of you to have had a time to run your model first in two months and would eagerly like to see the model running on the water,if possible. O0 ;)  warship?..fast boat...tug...working vessel..or any other else..?

By the way,I posted my outdoor activity for today in "Model boating" above like these.

Kiyo

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2022, 12:54:57 pm »

I finally managed to get some photo's of my corvette - and I just realised I didn't check the wheelhouse - doh

Anyway - it's not been cleaned for a couple of years so is quite grubby,

First up the hedgehog, though it appears to be a 12 unit. Yours has 24 pockets and mortars mine had the 12 pockets and mortars though if I look in my spares box there could be another 12, but I wouldn't count on it.
Next the 4" and then the upper machine gun that will need replacing.
The bofors and the crew trying to reset the depth charges.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #187 on: January 10, 2022, 02:01:52 am »

Hi warspite;

Thank you so much for your pics of the corvette,that are interesting to see for my build.

Is this 1/72 Matchbox-made Flower class corvette with 12 projectiles of Hedgehog system initially..??
And I wonder why you have not kept such a nice model in better conditions for a long time ? {:-{
In my case..as follows..

Kiyo

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #188 on: January 10, 2022, 03:25:09 am »

Interesting warspite, in that your Enlisted Sailors are wearing Tin Hats during battle, however the Commissioned Officers appear to be simply weaing their Dress Caps  {-)

Kiyo........one thing not mentioned here is this vessel could have been on Duty & hit by sand storm in the bottom quarter of the Mediterranian .....[just by those South Easterly dusty regions under Rommels occupation...just out from the Date Palms]  O0 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #189 on: January 10, 2022, 04:10:30 am »

Hi Derek;

Oh,I have perfectly understood why warspite's corvette looked so realistically !!
Thanks for your reasonable, persuasive and broad-minded ? comment.  O0
Kiyo

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #190 on: January 10, 2022, 09:21:34 am »

Sorry Kiyo no pictures. One of the other people did take pictures of my boat but I did not. Even if I had taken pictures, I have not been able to post any pictures on this forum no matter how hard I try. They show up when I write the reply but when I post they are gone! >>:-( This happens again and again until I am too mad to try again.

There is not really too much to see anyway as the boat I am working on right now is the Horizon Hobby Pro Boat 30, [size=78%]https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/horizon-harbor-30-inch-tug-boat--rtr/PRB08036.html[/size] And right now it looks the same on the outside as it did coming out of the box. Inside I have changed the prop to a better size 4 blade. added ballast to the back so that it makes the prop run deep enough under water so it will not pull air, especially in reverse. Changed the motor to a brushless motor and I am using a much better radio. I changed the position of the prop deeper into the nozzle and increased the throw to the left and right. This helps make it turn tighter and run better.

Now that I have run it I will be changing the motor again to a SunnySky X2820 V3 500Kv brushless motor. The motor I ran this weekend was a 750Kv motor and was very powerful at top speed and I could do OK at slow speed without over controlling and bumping into things when I did not want to. I am thinking that the 500Kv motor will do even better at slow speed and still give a good power at top speed. If it does not then I will change it back. When I get it running like I like then I will start doing things to the outside making it an even better looking boat. By that time maybe I will have learned how to post pictures. {:-{ [size=78%] [/size]

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #191 on: January 10, 2022, 09:31:03 am »

Derek

I have not looked but my corvette probably looks much the same as yours after years of being stored in the basement. One thing I did do a number of years ago when moving from my old house to my present house was before I put it back on the shelf for storage i took all of the radio and electronics out and sunk the ship in my bath tub. I then used a paint brush like a mop and swept all of the dirt and dust off and then rinsed it off. It looked almost new when I put it back onto the shelf. Except for the three or four years of wear from running it before I retired it. I am almost sure that it would not be all that hard to get her back into running condition, and with all of the aftermarket available today for the 1/72 corvette improve her looks as well.

Lou 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #192 on: January 10, 2022, 09:41:08 am »

imagna.......if you wish, check my Profile detail from the lefthand side of this message........you will see my landline e-mail address

Post your images to me & I'll resize & re-post them here in your name in this thread

This will suffice until you get a grip & solve your direct posting issue  :embarrassed:

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #193 on: January 10, 2022, 11:26:12 am »

Hi Lou,

Mine is Aquacraft tug...30 inch.

Kiyo

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #194 on: January 10, 2022, 11:56:01 am »

When thats what they supplied in the kit thats what you have to use, though they do seem a little relaxed - could be they are either trying to get a sub or target practicing and are just coming to the end of the session (a couple are from an old vosper kit)

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2022, 03:01:00 pm »

Thank you for the offer Derek. Right now I have no pictures of her in the water anyway. I suppose I could take a picture and use it but the only outside change over the factory build so far is the prop and my wife's name. Even though it is a very good model of the Toucher O. Wulf 8 in Germany I decided that I would change some of the colors and name her the Laurel Ann after my wife, as it was a Christmas present from her and my first RC boat in almost 30 years. I have no idea why I am Having so much trouble with pictures here. I have no problems at all on the other forum I visit with personal or internet pictures.

I have seen your model of the Atlantic here before Kiyo and you did a very nice job on her. We have one or two people who have used that hull for their boats in the club but chose to build different superstructures on them. In fact one of them was there on Saturday and the owner wanted to race me as our tugs are pretty much the same size. It looked like he was faster at first but after a long time it showed that I was just barely faster. I am almost certain that he will want to race again next month when I have the 800Kv motor installed. Tug boat racing is something he has always liked to do. We may also end up also doing a tug-of-war to see which tug pulls harder. I am looking forward to working the tug with a barge or large ship in pushing or towing.

Lou 

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #196 on: January 11, 2022, 03:26:33 am »

Hi Lou,

It is entirely so good that you also had a very happy time with your members of the club like doing a boat race by tugs that sounded so interesting to me. {-) O0

By the way,my Jupiter F-99(however,re-named "Neptune" now at stern)once was named "Hiroko" after my wife about
43 years go when we got married. {-) {-) %%

1;Before restoration many years ago
2;re-named as "Neptune"on an adventure sailing day in mid winter.

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #197 on: January 11, 2022, 07:50:04 am »

Well then,I have to get back to the initial subject of this thread...
The Snowberry has come up to this stage to set a roof deck on the wheelhouse which is illustrated in page 22 of whole 45.
Nearly half of the whole pages has been over today at any rate. %% ♬~♩~♬~♫~♪~(^^♪

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #198 on: January 11, 2022, 08:41:53 am »

I did not meet my wife until I was older so we have only been married 39 years. I like the name [size=0px]Hiroko for a name on a cabin cruiser. I do not think I would not have changed it after all these years.[/size]

[size=0px]Tug boat racing is something that we do now and then along with tug pulling tests. Kind of like kids at a beach showing off their muscles![/size] 8)  We have several tugs and many members also practice pulling or pushing larger ships or barges for recreation as well.

The same guy that I raced also brought a small logging tug for the first time. He put it into the water and it almost instantly tipped sideways and was not able to run. Another boater and I were able to get there fast and were starting to push it in with our tugs when enough water came in and it sank. The water was about 7' (2.13m) Deep. After a while he was able to grab the boat and pull it along the bottom until he could get it out of the water. I am certain he will run it in the monthly news letter in a week or two, and I will post the link so that you can read about it.

In Seattle each year the real tugs have a race across the bay as well and the crews really try to be the fastest. [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tj4xvAp_8I[/size] One year several years ago I was able to be on board one of the tugs during the races it was very exciding.

Half way through the instructions it must be all down hill from here! :}

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2022, 10:21:45 am »

Hi Lou;

I did not know the tug boat race at all until I have seen the video.
It is surely powerful enough for the boats to push the water like bulldozers...impressive race ..
I wonder if such race would have been held even in Japan so far regularly..???

Kiyo
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.