Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Revell Flower class corvette Snowberry 1/72 restarted  (Read 53338 times)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Revell Flower class corvette Snowberry 1/72 restarted
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2021, 11:19:07 am »

Hi Martin;
No,it's the very first time to have adopted this way of sealing.
I happed to find this material in a DIY shop, when wandering to find something suitable for sealing material that should meet my concept for the sealing method. {-)

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2021, 02:36:53 am »

Hi all;
A little and slow progress for today is temporary decking screwed on after sealing to see if the decks should sit around the hull properly..
The result was so and so as usual... {-)

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2021, 10:28:04 am »

I bought this type of seal for the windows, it starts ok but after the windows have been opened and shut a few time it started to retain its compressed shape and at one point we could hear the wind whistling through the gap, will have to photo the current inside of my boat to show what I did nearly 40 years ago  {-) , from memory that type of seal was not available - more the sponge type strip with a sticky back substrate almost like double sided selotape - but I never thought of using that as it would come off like it does on internal doors.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2021, 12:44:25 pm »

Hi warspite;

Thank you so much for sharing useful information with us from your precious experience in the past.
I easily imagine it would be so judging from the nature of rubber sponge material...
Mine will go into the same case as you have experienced,but if such malfunction should occur,I will change the material
as required.For that kind of purpose,I fixed the decks screwed on whenever they may come off from the hull as required.
The sticky rubber sponge is so cheap and easy to apply to the hull that it is convenient for me to use for this type of ship. ok2
To tell the truth,I have no ideas about sealing easily except this style. {-) {-) :-))
Thank you for your information.!! :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2021, 05:36:39 am »

Hi all;
 A tiny progress was made today around a main switch as shown.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2021, 11:54:25 am »

Hi all;
 A brief water resistant test was done on the work bench. %%
The test was was made on the lower deck at the mid-ship,where is the lowest on the lower deck because the deck has a remarkable sheer up to the stern.That is because the water may gather at the mid-ship deck if it should come in the form of splash or heavy rolls on my local lake..... {:-{ :((
1;I poured the water with this hand pump.
2/3;The water stopped like this...no flowing..
4;No leakage in the hull
5;A very extreme sheer is a character of this type of corvettes originally modified from whale boat..?? {-)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2021, 01:09:37 pm »

WELL Done  it looks very good an getting thngs to work well done
chris  :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2021, 02:44:44 am »

Hi Chris;

Sooo glad to have your kind comment.! %%
Are you going well with your Tiger and health in these days...?
I make it a practise to allot the  time for building this model around half a day or so at the longest normally,as this is what they call "an easy to assemble plastic model". {-) O0 ok2
Therefore,there is no need to get it in a hurry to the goal and I'm really enjoying the assemblies very much.♬~♫~(^^♪
This kind of plastic model ship seems sooo suitable for the aged like me in these days.!! O0 O0 O0 {-) :-))
That is because I could spare more time for the operations of the RCed models in the fields regardless of their kinds for me. O0 {-)

Building while operating another model and operating another while building .... :-))
This is so called my style of RC life.! {-) %%
Kiyo

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2021, 07:38:58 am »

Kiyo, to which scale did you build the Kayak in the background?  {-)
Honestly, I am following your build with great interest and you are doing a great job there, as always O0 :-))

Regards,

Arno

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2021, 08:34:01 am »

Hi Arno;

Very nice to hear from you again on here.You are good at joking right on here and warm as usual.
Thanks a lot for following my build of Snowberry.
By the way,what are you doing with the RC models recently.I am interested in your recent works if you should have some.

Kiyo

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2021, 08:02:10 pm »

Kiyo, I have hijacked Kim‘s thread, over here:

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54069.950.html

I am still building my Shannon lifeboat at a slow but steady pace…..

Regards,

Arno

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2021, 01:33:39 am »

Hi Arno;

I didn't notice at all that you had been posting so marvelous works of lifeboat Shannon so far in just the neighboring column.
As I have imagined so, and you have actually been building a outstandingly superb model as you had done in other models..
You are building the lifeboat as if it were the full scale ship in the smaller size of 1/12,aren't you?? :-)) ok2 
In this sense,you are a shipwright rather than a ship modeller at all the points of the boat. {-) %% O0

Kiyo

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2021, 07:31:16 am »

Hi Chris;

Sooo glad to have your kind comment.! %%
Are you going well with your Tiger and health in these days...?
I make it a practise to allot the  time for building this model around half a day or so at the longest normally,as this is what they call "an easy to assemble plastic model". {-) O0 ok2
Therefore,there is no need to get it in a hurry to the goal and I'm really enjoying the assemblies very much.♬~♫~(^^♪
This kind of plastic model ship seems sooo suitable for the aged like me in these days.!! O0 O0 O0 {-) :-))
That is because I could spare more time for the operations of the RCed models in the fields regardless of their kinds for me. O0 {-)

Building while operating another model and operating another while building .... :-))
This is so called my style of RC life.! {-) %%
Kiyo

HI Kiyo  yes im feeling a lot better now thank goodness an yes im back on my tiger build now an its now starting to get complaicatated doin the wireing but i love doin the wireing as i love the challenge of getting it all to work so now happy days but i wont be posting any more linkpics for a few months as i dont want to bore you all with just all the wireing goin into her but i will be following yours an everybody eles builds so have fun building an sailing
ATB
chris

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2021, 09:15:59 am »

Hi all;

A little progress for today is the temporary completion of hull body such level as to be able to sail as is after sealing sufficiently all around the deck edges.
1/2;Service deck hatch
3/4/5/6;Temporarily fixed with screws

Next step is a final check to see how much of the sealings will do against a very choppy surface of the lake,using a bathtub. O0 {-)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2021, 10:19:16 am »

HI Kiyo have well have fun in tha bath then an
hope no leaks in her
chris :-))

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2021, 05:28:12 am »

Hi all;

I did an ultimate drench test on my Snowberry supposing that she should meet a so choppy surface of our lake by the fierce wind of winter as if the full size Snowberry might have experienced in the North Atlantic under a certain convoy operation. {-) O0 ok2
The result was so and so,not so good at fore-deck edge on port-side where a little amount of water soaked into the hull due to insufficient sealing. {:-{ :(( :o :o On the contrary,other deck edges were generally OK with rare water drops found.
The test was done using a bath bucket pouring the water 3 time passes over the hull that was completely drenched as in the pics below. O0 O0 {-) {-) :o :o Our lake is so choppy frequently, especially in the winter...though fundamentally throughout a year. {:-{ :(( %) :o
1/2/3;The drench test done three time-passes overt the hull repeatedly! {-)
4; The starboard was so negligibly small that means OK to sail on the water for 7minutes or so.
5;The port-side is not satisfactory to me judging from many drops of water stuck to the hull that meant apparent evidence to soak in..... <:( 8) {:-{
  The cause was poor sealing as seen,which shows split small seals separately...and I changed the part into one piece seal.
  Starboard seal was comparatively OK as split seals were not applied adequately.
6;Around the after-deck edge was also OK fundamentally.

Frankly speaking,I never intend to sail this boat on such a choppy surface of our lake as done at this test,but I thought it necessary to do this level of violent drench test to be worthy of knowing in advance how this hull would be soaked in when she should face the risky water attack in the sailing. O0 O0 ;) :-))
As this model is intended mainly  to run on the choppy lake rather frequently as my standard and regular scale ship once completed,this kind of test I think is inevitable for me to do in advance to actual sailing.  O0 :-))
Moreover,this kit is,needless to say, a display model originally so that  the conversion to RCed model securely require the intensive counter-measures against water leakage,as you may easily imagine. Otherwise, she might go to the bottom of the lake sometime during regular operations by unexpected incident... <:( 8) :(( 

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2021, 11:58:05 am »

WOW, pictures 2 & 3 make the hull look more like 1:144 instead of 1:72, that is extreme flooding, NOTE - if the vessel experiences that much water then she will not be on choppy water but in the leading edge of a tsunami, the vessel, like the real ones will ride the waves not cut into them depending on her final weight.

If she is to take that kind of punishment - I would not be worried about her sinking due to the amount of water on deck - more of her splitting in two along the centre where the front two halves connect to rear two halves, as that is her weak spot.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2021, 04:29:33 pm »

Very impressive test Backearther

I built this model back in 198? when Matchbox first issues it and it has many years of running in all kinds of weather, including rough weather. May I make some suggestions based on how mine was done?

#1 I went ahead and glued in the forecastle deck permanently into place.
#2 I ran similar sealing material under the main foredeck, but I made it continuous instead of in sections and just ran my securing screws through the gasket material and into the plastic ledge underneath.
#3 I used silicone glue/seal to secure the rear deck as it totally secures the deck while allowing removal, (with some effort) at some point for rudder maintenance if needed. I have never had to remove it in over 40 years.
#4 I built an inner bulwark inside the engine room casing allowing it to be lifted off while still preventing water from entering under the lip of the house at deck level.

If I was to change anything on mine I would take the seal under the main deck and install it into a trough that would allow the use of magnates instead of screws in placing the main deck. I would have done that back when I built mine, but neodymium magnets were not as readily available back then.

I must admit that my Corvette did sink once........... It was run over by a 30 pound RC tug going full speed and was rolled completely over! :-(

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2021, 01:15:00 pm »

Hi warspite;

Thanks for your interesting comment on my violent experiment on the Snowberry.
This is just an experiment only so that I never get her to sail on such a dangerous surface of our lake even if she should be well sealed...I am so coward to sail a scale ship and so I made such an experiment as in my bathtub in advance. {-) O0

I like this kind of weather as in the pic below for a Rced scale ship. Windspeed is below 2m/s at the fastest.
Nearly mirror-like surface of the lake is sooo ideal isn't it? :-))

Kiyo

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2021, 01:47:25 pm »

Hi Imagna;

Thanks a lot for your informative suggestions from your experience of the same corvette fundamentally.
The item number #1;I do think so and I'll do that.
                          #2;It's a good idea to use something like gasket.
                          #3;Using silicone glue/seal may appear perfect to use at the part,but may also seem a bit difficult to                                         detach the deck if required for me...
                           #4;This must be useful very much.!
I think your way of water resistance is nearly perfect so that she has been surviving for 40 years even in the sailing under high wind so far except a sinking by accident....This fact may possibly show the excellence as if a real corvette was well designed to meet the sailings under high seas like the North Atlantic in the winter.

Kiyo

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2021, 02:30:27 pm »

Hi Kiyo

I am sure your efforts will work out OK. Like you say, the Corvette design was a very good seakeeping ship, even though they were also VERY wet inside in heavy seas. Watch the 1953 movie "The Cruel Sea" where they used one of the last Corvettes for filming!

I like your lake. Easy to launch and plenty of room to run! Enjoy your day.

Lou

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: December 04, 2021, 05:45:39 am »

Hi Lou;

I just intend to search for the movie 'The Cruel Sea"which seems interesting though too old....
Our boating site is surely good enough to sail the model boats while it's too large enough though... O0 ;D ok2 ;)

Kiyo

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: December 04, 2021, 07:45:52 am »

Kiyo

I am not certain what your sources are in Japan or if you can play US DVDs but here we can stream it on Amazon, but the least expensive way to watch it would be by buying a DVD or Blue Ray through eBay. https://www.ebay.com/sch/617/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=The+Cruel+Sea+%281953%29&_sop=15 That way you would also own your own copy and watch it a number if times if you wish. It may be an old movie but like many of the WWII British movies made in the 50s and early 60s it holds up pretty well. Warning......... it is in black and white.

Where is your sense of adventure? There is no such thing as a lake that is too large!  O0

Lou

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: December 04, 2021, 10:09:39 am »

Hi Lou;

I just intend to search for the movie 'The Cruel Sea"which seems interesting though too old....
Our boating site is surely good enough to sail the model boats while it's too large enough though... O0 ;D ok2 ;)

Kiyo

According to the author of the cruel sea many of his charecters are based on people who met/served with during the convoys.  It certainely is a good source and still a first rate film
Bob

I will finish this model

lmagna

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: December 04, 2021, 07:05:38 pm »

Hello Bob

Yes Nicholas Monsarrat himself and his stories were not far removed from his real life. He volunteered for the RNVR early in the war and was commissioned as a Sub-Lieutenant in 1940. He served as 1st officer on a couple of Corvettes and then in1943 took command of a Kingfisher class corvette. He went on to command two more Frigates during the war. His books, not just The Cruel Sea, took place on these types of ships.

What is more important is that the movie people remained true to not only Monsarrat's story, but to the feeling of that story and did not try to overpower it with their own ideas and big stars like they so many times do. I wish more films followed that format these days, more good authors would be willing to have their books made into movies if they did.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.