Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: opinions please, best control gear for a boat  (Read 1725 times)

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
opinions please, best control gear for a boat
« on: October 26, 2021, 10:16:17 pm »

hi, read a lot on here for whats best control gear for a boat but find it all confusing, im looking at a Turnigy tgy i4x, all i need is stop and go with steering, this seems to do it... help and opinions please

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
Re: opinions please, best control gear for a boat
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 11:58:27 pm »

There's a lot to be said for a simple set up, and that radio, together with identical models with a different name on them are fine.
   I've a couple of them, and there are many others in our club, they just work. If you ever need a more complex outfit, you can choose one later.
Charles

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 09:57:29 am »

The basic nature of sets like this is great when complex needs are not there. 
The use of switches for servo reversing is ideal for setting up at the pool where a cable and PC are probably not available. 
The simple mixing switch is a potential advantage, a possible cause for puzzlement when operated by accident.
I am less certain about the digital trim switches as opposed to the mechanical sliders on similar transmitters, probably just me.
It runs on 4 AA cells, and probably needs 1.5 volt alkalines, rather than 1.2 volt rechargeables, as I don't see a charge jack in the advertising.
The cost of extra receivers is a consideration, as is the compatibility or not with similar ones wearing different badges.
For basic functions, all that is needed is a transmitter that chucks out a signal with the right power at the legal limit, and a sensitive enough receiver to plug the servos into.

Hopefully we'll run into each other at Fairhaven some time now that much of the major disruption due to the sea wall rebuild and the heritage rebuilds are over.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RST

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 12:30:17 am »

I use Volantex Exmitter EX6, non programmable, these days.  I like the shape and feel, plus they do a conversion kit for the left hand stick to make it spring return for more normal boat use which was a specific requirement for me.  I DON't like the digital trims but they have been there for many years before 2.4ghz was invented.

I have heard the Planet 2+2 sysetem is very good also and seen it recommended many many times over.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 01:59:29 am »

I have a couple of Turnigy units, similar to the I4X, and have had great service from them. They are easy to set up, very reliable, and ideal for model boats. I use alkaline batteries in all mine, and a set of four lasts quite a long time. In my opinion you can't go wrong with that unit, and it's a good price too.

Peter.

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 11:28:55 am »

i missed out on the one i was watching on ebay so that plans now out the window, had another read around this forum and purchased

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-2-4ghz-mode-2-4ch-tx-rx-v2.html?___store=en_usb

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 03:19:46 pm »

You'll be fine with that, I've got one as well. It's very similar to what you were looking at before, but uses 8 batteries. It can use rechargeable ones and has a charging socket, but I don't bother, a set of cells last around a year.
Charles

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 09:07:36 am »

You'll be fine with that, I've got one as well. It's very similar to what you were looking at before, but uses 8 batteries. It can use rechargeable ones and has a charging socket, but I don't bother, a set of cells last around a year.
Charles
Agreed, but battery life depends on usage.  And remembering to switch it off after use.  Discharged rechargeables can be recharged.
Whatever transmitter is used, a neck strap is a good investment.  From experience, transmitters don't live through a bounce on to a hard surface.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 09:28:59 am »

Regarding batteries, I always remove alkaline batteries from my transmitters before putting them away after a day’s sailing. If these batteries are left in situ for any length of time they can sometimes leak, causing considerable damage to the unit. It’s not likely to happen in the short term, but I prefer to be cautious.

Peter.

mmartin1980

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 11:38:06 pm »

woohoo this arrived this morning.... and as it comes with zero information, whats the loop with the plug on for?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2021, 01:07:22 am »

It’s the binding plug, to “bind” the receiver to the transmitter. I’m surprised that there were no instructions with it, but they are available as a download online. Google HK-T4A V2.

Peter.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2021, 08:47:55 am »

Yes, its a binding plug.  It should not be needed unless you get some extra receivers or want to use that receiver with a different transmitter (of compatible type).
Binding is just a case of inserting the binding plug into the receiver socket marked " batt", plugging the receiver power into any other slot (receiver is now looking for something to bind with) then turning on the transmitter with the "bind" button pressed.  When the flashing lights stop after a very few seconds, de-power and plug everything in where it should be, putting the loop in a safe place.  On powering up again, everything should work.
https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/media/file/854222179X651250X52.pdf for the quick bind
https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/media/file/h/k/hk-t4a-m2-8338.pdf gives the manual for the same transmitter wearing different badges.
Having the instructions on line saves the cost of printing, which is passed on to the customer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.