Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Lady-KFV" G.O.C prawn trawler  (Read 4415 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
"Lady-KFV" G.O.C prawn trawler
« on: November 01, 2021, 10:14:03 am »

Hi there, this latest model the "Lady-KFV" is not of one particular trawler but of a combination of this design, The bulk of this design was built for a new formed company  'K.F.V Fisheries'  ( Kailis , Francis & Verboon ) there was about 23 of this design built between 1979 and 1981 ( half of those were built for private operators), they were built by A.S.I   ( Australian Shipbuilding Industry )  Verboon Family Western Australia.They were roughly 74 x 20 x 9.5 ft  , so on the 1:16 scale the model is 55.5" x 15.25" ( sponson's added) x 7.25"  inchs.I was given a GA of the design back in midd 1980's ,so finally got around to using it, closest I could work the GA size was 6 mm to 1 ft ,with some photo's of one of that design boat out of the water ,I re drawed it to 1/4' to 1' then had it increased to the 3/4" to 1'.The Stem ,Keel & Deadwood area are of Tassy Oak, the frames are of Beech ,front frames were 32 x 14 mm remainder are 22 x 14 mm.  cheers.
Brian  B

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: "Lady-KFV" G.O.C prawn trawler
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2021, 06:59:52 pm »

I'll be following this one!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2021, 09:54:02 pm »

Amen. I always enjoy seeing this craftsman's work.

Great start Brian.
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 10:49:18 pm »

Hi guys, thanks but you probably get sick of them as pretty much the same style of construction just different shape and size...With this section of photo's installing the frames to the jig, then fitting the chine stringer etc, with the 5th photo decided to run a couple of short stringers in the deadwood area ( not sure what they call this on a chine boat,not exactly a hollow heel ? ) just for a base for the 2.7 mm ply when sheeting her, then cutting in and laying the bottom stringers , now ready for the ply sheeting cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 11:23:32 pm »

Hullo BB .............interesting to see scale reinforcement Knees or Elbows used against the stern end plate  :-))  ..... Derek

[PS.....not sure  :embarrassed: of the differentiation between the two terms]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2021, 05:05:21 pm »

Hi Brian - and WOW that is one huge vessel your building there mate  :-))

As always beautiful carpentry and these boat have such nice lines I don't know how anyone can get bored of your builds.

I'll be watching and good luck  O0

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 10:07:43 pm »

Hullo BB .............interesting to see scale reinforcement Knees or Elbows used against the stern end plate  :-))  ..... Derek

[PS.....not sure  :embarrassed: of the differentiation between the two terms]

I think it shows the enthusiasm someone has for their hobby, as otherwise Brian would have used right angle or equivalent straight edged fillets. Brian is a craftsman of the first order where cabinet making/boat building is concerned. IMHO.
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2021, 11:41:46 pm »

Hi guys, thank you for your comments, I forgot to mention in the last post the stringers are of Coach wood the chine stringer is 8 x 10 mm and the remainder of stringers are 6 x 10 mm, with this group of photo's are mainly of applying the 2.7 mm ply, when finished she did have a strip of Tassy oak run along for her keel and stem , her  back heel was a piece of Spotted gum planking that came out of a friends prawn trawler about 4 yrs ago ( which was built in 1974 and still operating), and couple shots of the inside before the next stage of applying resin, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 11:10:58 pm »

Hi there, next section of photo's making the nozzle for her ,she will spin an 90 mm prop, I have used this way of construction on a couple of models yrs ago so will stick to what I know (not much  O0 ) after cutting out the templates for the inner dimension of the nozzle using ply, then connected those by using a dowel ,then covered the edge of the ply templates using tracing paper so as when fitting and gluing the tapered sections of coach wood will be easier to release the inner templates, then across the end grains of the coach wood used a semi hardwood ( cut from old chair) for extra strength. Then with the box section securing the top of the nozzle to the hull , it was baffled with holes and was then filled with resin from inside when the inside of the hull was applied with resin, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 06:20:48 am »

Incredible craftsmanship!!

Hama

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 05:45:42 pm »

Brilliant piece of work  :-))
Steamed up all the time

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2021, 01:41:47 am »

Hi there, thanks guys, next was to seal the inside using the Chux wipes (new ) gave her 2 coats of resin ( 2Kg), then after lightly sanding her hand brushed the white undercoat before she had 2 coats of white gloss enamel sprayed on.With this design they have a very basic shape and rather small w-house compared to the vessel's size ,some of these boat that were sold off to private operators, replaced the w-houses with larger aluminum ones . The materials used on this one was Tassy oak, Beech and 1.7 & 2 mm ply, cheers :-)) .
Brian  B

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 08:26:26 pm »

Great idea for the Chux. Much tidier and cheaper than matting or foam.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2021, 01:51:16 am »

Hi Steve , with one of the models I was making on board while in the Gulf  prawning in the late 90's I had neglected to pick up some glass matting or strand before leaving port ,so the only other thing I though may work was the Chux Cloth.... O0 Before going any further with the deck beams etc pre fitted the running gear, the motor is a 12-24 V scooter type motor (same type I installed in the "Charissa" tuna clipper model) I was fortunate to be given it by Martin Whitehead in our local Model Club, the motor base is made from Tassy oak  and Aluminum, and the ESC and the servo base's are of Tassy oak ,beech and ply. The rudder is of 1/8 inch brass plate, cheers  :-))
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 04:21:43 am »

Hi there, after pre fitting the running gear, then installed the remaining deck beams and also the lift out sections and filled the back of the deckhouse bulkhead before decking her with the 2mm ply. I went over the outside of the hull with a wood filler as the Hardwood ply I used very grainy ( yes I confess I should have had it facing inwards  :embarrassed: ).For the bulwark post they were made from Tassy oak with bamboo as the edging and dowel for through the deck, the last photo showing the bulwarks forward are stepped in, as this is where the trawl boards are stowed, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2021, 09:36:06 pm »

Inspiring work there Brian - This is just as good as it gets  :-))   

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2021, 10:53:59 pm »

Beautiful work well done

RST

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2021, 11:06:27 pm »

High time builds such as this should be moved into masterclass section!

Rich

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2021, 07:57:10 pm »

Hi there, no where near the detail you put into yours Mark.With this set of photo's, installing the remainder of the bulwark post, then covered using 1.7 mm ply , used the ends of .357 Mag cartridge shells for the top deck bollards fair leads, then fitting of the front wave breaker and end result , cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2021, 08:16:37 pm »

High time builds such as this should be moved into masterclass section!

Rich

I agree!  Scratch building beautiful boats with the best carpentry joints ever and used ammunition to make brass parts.  Just awesome  O0

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2021, 01:47:32 am »

Just don't like throwing anything out Mark, especially brass  :-)) , Only a few photo's in this post , of the aft exhaust system and the sorting tray brine bins and collapsible standing racks, with these boats they were built with the conventional sorting tray set up before being re adapted to having the prawn hoppers and  conveyor systems  , cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2021, 10:45:22 am »

Hi there, to construct the gantries I used a piece of cut off section of the Colonial Teak decking, from when we laid the deck of the 68 ft "Debrene-Adele" in 1977 (it brought back memories when cutting it up as it still retains that nice smell 🙂 ), The A-frame is of Tassy oak, the main trawl booms are Walnut , cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2021, 11:22:30 am »

Did someone say KFC?....... :o  ......some of the Poms may not get it!  {-)

Is this about 45kg wet weight BB ?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2021, 01:12:03 am »

Is this about 45kg wet weight BB ?

Derek

Derek, judging by the look on Brian's face when he's carrying it, it may even weigh more {-)  He had it at last Sunday's club sailing day for its maiden voyage, but I'll leave it to Brian to post the pictures when he's ready.

Peter.

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2021, 09:11:43 am »

Hi Guys , actually she only went 35 Kg ( but needed 1 to 2 more Kg in the bow)  O0 .I used a section of copper piping from one of the fridge units off one of the boats for the bollard post bases etc ( yep never chuck any thing away guilty as charged 🙂 ) all the fiddly copper and brass fittings for the gantries booms hand railing, utilized .375 Mag shells for the pivoting ends of the trawl booms , so major copper fittings done and dusted ( still few more items like radar stands etc to come) also winch's to be made....cheers. :-))
Brian  B
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.