Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Lady-KFV" G.O.C prawn trawler  (Read 4329 times)

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: "Lady-KFV" G.O.C prawn trawler
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2021, 01:45:34 am »

Hi there, the next set of photo's are of assembling the back bullbar ,used old bronze brazing rods for the top corner inserts and also drilled the uprights out for the ladder steps before soldering, then pre fitted it in position, then fitted the turnbuckles to the bottom section of the back ladder, which is fitted to the top of the A-frame to the top of the bullbar, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2021, 07:52:43 am »

Stunning work it looks amazing

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2021, 11:07:07 pm »

Well that is some of the most intricate work I have seen in a while, and that includes some beautiful masts and radar systems!

The dedication to detail and love of wood working is evident throughout especially the motor mounts with those sweet little knees!
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2021, 02:18:33 am »

Hi guys ,thank yo for your comments, with this section of photo's using the flat copper plate from the tubing to cut strips for the top deck hand railings, then shaped both ends before drilling out for the brass railing, then the pre fitting the top deck hand railing, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2021, 08:48:18 pm »

Hi there, follow on from the hand railings , to make the front deck bollard fairleads used  a bit  of left over a 20 mm brass threaded tubing, then making the brass structure for her trawling lights, then a jig to hold the brass and copper radar stand ( next time might try my hand at making it from plasti card ,less swearing ). Then showing the bulk of the bits n pieces finished ( winchs still to come) , cheers   :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2021, 10:46:12 pm »

Hi There, Next made a set of the Western Australian style trawl boards they were using at the time ( A knock off of the yankee shrimp boards) . I used some more Colonial Teak  cut off decking from back in 1977 ,then scrap copper off the boats, so with slight bit of pitting on the copper 2 boards came in at 115 grams the other 2  at 120 grams , I will be Varnishing these to show the nice Colonial Teak colour . cheers. :-)) .
Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2021, 08:49:41 pm »

Plastic card is all very well, but I would not want to use it in any situation where structural and knock proofing is required. Styrene is great in the short term, but I think a soldered metal structure will stay in one piece for much longer than a styrene one. I appreciate it is the choice between 'break and repair' against 'bend and bend back to shape'!

Either way, she is looking marvellous!  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2021, 07:35:44 pm »

Hi  Ballanstanksian , yes you are probably right as the copper and brass would be more durable , have only used the plasti card or styrene once before , easy to use. With this set pf photo's they are of the capstans for the main winch's , made from ply ,dowel and plasti bond, then parts of the main and lazy line winch's, making the brake wheels, with these winch's they originally had the manual wire guides prior to the hydrolic guides.Then the Karli raft the aft door ( Colonial teak) of the top cabin and the watertight doors for the main deck bulkhead , starting on the painting of the hull (Brunswick Green) and applying the 2nd undercoat to the nozzle area. Cheers  .
Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2021, 08:50:19 pm »

Those winches are amazing Brian! I love the detail of the hydraulic lines etc. Brilliant  :-)) :-)) 
Pond weed is your enemy

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2021, 09:46:27 am »

Hi there, next photo's are the first of 2 gloss coats on the gantries and other bits n pieces colour is 'Centra'  or ( baby s yellow), the sides also had 2 gloss enamel of 'Brunswick green' the top sides and W-house is 'China Beige' .Winch's all done and dusted, the hull with its first gloss coat, trawl gantries and other bits hanging around drying, and finishing off the life buoys.(Here is a little bit of useless info to some ? ,but its History) with the  photo showing the gantries hanging , if you can see also that half wheel shape hanging on the blue board it is a phosphorus bronze wheel off a twin engine American bomber that crash landed at the bottom end of the Torres Straits during WW-II ( that's N.E of Cape York top end of Australia) with the prawners naming it Aeroplane Banks ( as it is just a sandy coral atoll sticking out ) I found this in 1981 on a dead low tide about half way in along the reef, as one of the propellers was propped up and used  as a radar beacon to be able to trawl around the reefs ( as all night work) ...Cheers . :-)) .
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2021, 02:16:04 pm »

Beautiful work there Brian and at such a big scale it looks so real  :-))

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2021, 08:41:03 pm »

Hi there, well Mark after following the beautiful woodworking you are doing on your model, I know my limits and will be sticking to my trawler hulls  O0 .Next group of photos are, the brine tanks & sorting tray completed, the Gantries and trawl booms assembled after having their 2nd gloss coating , and
the motor and base ready for installing.
From the water line up the hull, deck, w-house etc have all had their 2 gloss coats, next will be to spray the bottom.Cutting out the flanges for the fuel ,water fillers and breathers, this thin copper comes from cut offs of earthing straps which would be supplied with curtain electronics on the trawlers, they all had to be soldered on a slight angle to accommodate the camber of the deck.With the pulleys, had to do some slight re shaping as these attach to the front deck in front of the anchor winch capstans for winching the trawl booms out to be locked into position, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2021, 11:07:05 pm »

Hi there, well its spray time in my sophisticated painting booth, and showing her white bootleg off ( always feel the boats stands out more with a lighter colour bootleg between to dark colours).I had to make a new front stay locking off bar as didn't allow for the twine to be spliced in the end, and the locking off pin does have twine spliced to it and the hand railing so it isn't lost when trawl booms aren't out in position, last photo showing the smaller model ( same scale) beside her, cheers  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2021, 09:14:16 am »

Hi there, few shots of the finished model , the next post will be of the launching  cheers,  :-)) ..
Brian  B

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2021, 05:43:01 pm »

Hi Brian I think that's my favourite so far  :-))   I like the smaller cabin it really suits the trawler.  Looking forward to seeing the pictures of it on the water.  Mind you I think you gonna need a small crane or a couple of mates to get it in there.  Another beautiful build to add to your collection  O0

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2021, 02:57:45 am »

Hi there, Thanks Mark, I do know I'm gunna need a biggar car, bit of an excersise to go through to transport her , bit more involved with this one compared to the tuna vessels just a matter of undoing stays and lifting the mast & boom etc off, this one had to disconnect the gantries and all the ropes stays etc to get her into the Tuscon, if I didn't use the trolley she would fit in sitting on her keel & chine,but then a struggle to carry her and all the ballast etc to the water, by the time you undo every thing then back together use her then dismantled  then arriving home assemble her again ,I don't think I will be in a hurry to use her every model day more chance of damaging her, until I have a larger form of transport O0 . I did make a mistake earlier in the post I said she had a 90 mm prop , telling lies it is a 80 mm propeller :embarrassed: . It was a nice day clear water but bit gusty as the morning rolled on,I was happy with her performance, in one photo there is a shot of Peter Fitness's Grand Bank model the "Lady-Catherine" going astern of her....wil post some more of her on the water cheers,  :-)) .
Brian  B

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2021, 03:03:51 am »

Hi there, continued on with her launch morning , could have put another 1 to 2Kg of extra ballast in her forward section , but happy with how she looked and performed ,thanks for  following the post, till the next one , cheers. :-)) .
Brian  B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2021, 03:27:36 pm »

As to be expected, she's a beaut. Thanks for another enjoyable build Brian.
Pond weed is your enemy

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2021, 09:56:52 pm »

That turned out really well. You're going to need a van!

B.B

• B.B
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2021, 01:37:18 am »

Hi there, Now worries guys thanks for all the comments, the next project under way is a lot smaller  :-)) .
Brian  B
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.