Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Air brush/spray gun  (Read 5222 times)

Peewee

• Full Mayhemer
    • Paddleducks
Air brush/spray gun
« on: October 24, 2007, 10:04:32 am »

Hi All,

Just about to start a model slipway Envoy, i thouught i migh try airbrusing this model.  Anyone know what a suitible set-up would be, brush
and compresser etc.  or would the spray cans be better.
All and any sugestions greatfully received
Ian
Ian
Still sane? who knows who cares?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Air brush/spray gun
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 10:41:26 am »

I have a compressor and airbrush setup. I find that for large areas, the container of paint soon runs out and you have to refill it. I now only use this for small areas.

For large areas, like the hull, it's best to use commercial tins. The problems come in colour matching if you decide to use both.

Costs wise, the compressor was about £90 and the spray gun was a double action type at about £40.

SWMBO says it will be a lifetime before I ever recoup the expense. The effort involved in setting up, using, and cleaning out after, is really not worth it.

Mind you, the compressor is handy for other jobs. I have the best tyre pressures in our street.  O0

Hope this helps.

Cheers...Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

bobdoc

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 06:20:35 pm »

If you spend ££s to get a compressor and airbrush, why not spend a bit more and get a spray gun as well

For example http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/categories/search/spray-guns-spraying-equipment-air-brushes

Bob

djrobbo

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 06:49:45 pm »

Hi guys.....b & q were doing a small wolf compressor with a nail gun included......wasn't hard to convince swmbo that i really needed one for all the jobs round the house........it just so happens that it will also run my airbrush and spray guns (wink wink know what i mean) ..large spray guns are quite air hungry, so with full size spray gun a small compressor with a small tank will run out of air quite quickly............but it still works.....

regards...bob. O0

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 07:38:28 pm »

Ian

I use a Badger 350, which is a single action, bottom feed, external mix airbrush, and a airbrush compressor. I find it great for detail work and relatively small areas. I do use aerosols for large boats such as my Sea Queen, but I sprayed all my Sentinel with the airbrush.  I tend to use airbrush ready paints which cuts down a lot of the fuss preparing for spraying. Revell paints come in a jar that just screws on to the brush adaptor. I wear surgical style gloves when cleaning the brush after spraying, as I found I was spending as long cleaning my hands as I had been cleaning the brush  :embarrassed:

Aerosols are great but I find it easy to overdo the cover and alas the dreaded run. Airbrushing gives a much lighter cover and it is thus easier to avoid runs. Against that you probably need to give more coats. I would recommend giving it a go. O0

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 08:10:34 pm »

Hi Dougal9

What sort of paints are you talking about when you say 'airbrush ready' as I still think in terms of paints which require thinning down.  Are these acrylic or enamel?

Also does anyone know of a source of replacement cork rings for small spray jars.  Mine have shot it.

Thanks guys.........................

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 08:20:38 pm »

Hi Bob

I've got the large spray gun as part of the package, but I've not used it yet.  I'm having difficulty getting the  'spray paint'  to go in it. 

Hi Dougal
I'm looking for car type paint that needs diluting down. I didn't know there was  'ready to spray'  types for compressors.

People have recommended various dealers, but I've not seen one near enough to me that sells small enough quantities of paint. The tins I've been offerred are huge !!  Hence my using Halfords' tins.  I bought three more today (£15) and sneaked them in the workshop.  If SWHBO finds out the cost of this boat, she might have something to say.  ;)

Stavros, can you advise please.

Cheers...Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Voyager

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 08:24:14 pm »

I think he might be talking about "Vallejo Model Colour" which you can buy in Model Zone in Holburn. These come in two types, ready mixed and non ready mixed, both are acrylic based paints. The thing you have to remember about using cans is you not able to correct a paint overspray, with an airbrush however that's not a problem! It's also very hard to spray with a can without missing area's of your model that aren't easily reached, with an airbrush you have so much more control over your spray area. An airbrush is also very useful for weathering a model! True, it can be messy airbrushing, cleaning can also be a pain in the wotsit :P Having said that if you produce a work of art in the end, then i my humble opinion it's well worth it all!!!

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 08:43:56 pm »

Hi All

The paint I have been using is Revell enamel Email Color (their spelling not mine  :) ) which is available in my local model shop. It comes in 25ml jars and the range appears to be a subs set of their normal colour range. The jars are slightly smaller than those from Badger so I had to shorten the siphon tube a little.

From my experience it also appears to be OK with Humbrol and Halfords paint.

They do a white undercoat in the range and also thinners  :o

It's quite spirity? and I recommend plenty of ventilation. I have obtained quite good results from the off and I hope to improve with practice.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

slewis

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2007, 09:36:49 pm »

While not wishing to upset I think in the case of airbrushes and spray guns you get what you pay for and ultimatley the amount you pay is or should be reflected in the amount you are going to use it .
If this is a once a year useage go with a Badger airbrush as they have great reviews and are at a good price. I stand to be corrected here but can have a limited life span.(depending on useage)
If its going to be used quite a lot its well worth spending money on a decent setup in the first place as it will pay for itself over time and will keep on going and producing excellent results.
I myself use an Iwata TR2 airbrush and a Devillbiss spraygun primarily as the latter although expensive lasts a whole lot longer than the cheaper B&Q jobbies and this is my livelihood I am talking about !

The airbrush I have is only used for hobby use but gets used on average about 3 times a month on both mine and friends models so it was worthwile paying that bit extra for it , it also comes with a built in moisture trap which is something you will also have to think about as you dont wants drops of water coming from the compressor onto your paint job!

My compressor at home is nothing more than a Wolfair 25l tank one which delivers plenty for my useage at home. I cant rememebr the price of it but think it was around £200 give or take a few quid.
The airbrush pictured below cost about the same ! But it was money well spent in my opinion due to the use it gets.

HTH and if you want anymore info   just ask away  O0

Oh and who was after cork rings ? Try this one  go into a motor factors and ask them for some cork gasket material and you can cut as many as you like at a much better price  ;) O0

Shane

ABRAD

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

I only use an air brush for hand rails or small areas, I have never seen a working ship with a full gloss finish they usually paint them with anything they can get hold of (booms, rollers, mops, wallop brushes etc) and so I like to paint mine with a brush, looks OK when using mat paint.
I do paint hulls with a spray gun (not air brush) or spray cans, bellow water line is usually red oxide anyway.
If you are using a GRP hull use Acid8 primer (sticks like s%#t to a blanket) expensive so only a couple of light coats. Buy it from Halfords when you are buying your red oxide it's in a red can.
When I have sprayed hull and painted above water line I water proof with flair satin fuel proofer (in a spray can).
My spray set up is compressor with 15 ltr receiver and an Aztec air brush, my spray gun is equipment I have the use of at work (Sata gun and a 22 Kw screw compressor bit to big for home use Ha Ha)
Hope some of this is of use to.

Peewee

• Full Mayhemer
    • Paddleducks
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2007, 10:36:24 am »

Thank you all for the information, now have to work out if the investment is worth the effort in both money and practice time :-\
Ian
Still sane? who knows who cares?

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 10:48:27 am »

I got my compressor off eBay, look in the beauty section.
Mine was used by a lady sprat tanning, and as she upgraded the compressor was surplus.
Squires sell the same compressor.
A nearly £300-00 compressor, silent, with regulator and moisture trap £50-00, and was local enough for me to pick up.
Bargains are about.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2007, 11:28:35 am »

I use the Revell Airbrush Enamels - no thinning required. Not as many colours as in the tins, but a reasonable range. If you local shop doesn't stock them ( what local shop I hear :D) then you can buy them mail order from http://www.models2u.co.uk/ or do a search on eBay.

I am also sure I saw a site listing Humbrol airbrush paints, but I can't find the site again :(

One advantage of airbrush over spray cans is that they are no where near as messy to use. Cans tend to spray the model and everything else in the room, which means use them outside, which restricts when you can spray!

Barrie

kiteman1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Proud to be a part of the Model Boat Mayhem Forum.
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2007, 07:21:07 pm »

Hi Shane

Thanks for the cork gasket tip.  I was quoted £2.25 for three rings plus £2.50 pp!!

omra85

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 07:56:39 pm »

Mine was used by a lady sprat tanning, and as she upgraded the compressor was surplus.

Presumably she's gone on to do Mackerels now  ::) ::)
Thanks for that slip Bob, I had a good chortle imagining the scene -
"Look, I had them under the grill for ages and they didn't go brown so .......  "   {-) {-) {-)

Danny  :D :D

Stavros

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 09:37:11 pm »

I use a Badger 200 airbrush and use Revel ready thinned down paint for airbrushes.

Stavros
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.