Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freeview Freesat ?  (Read 2762 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
Freeview Freesat ?
« on: November 05, 2021, 07:58:21 pm »

free view tv freesat tv  whats the difference

RST

Re: tv
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 08:07:37 pm »

Hi,

I just copied and pasted yor question into google which came up with a more eloquent answer...

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=free+view+tv+freesat+tv++whats+the+difference

"Essentially, the main difference between these two forms of digital TV is that Freeview is accessed through an aerial, whilst Freesat can be accessed with just a satellite dish. Freesat also has more channels than Freeview too"

....if you're asking what is better I have no idea?  TV is absolutely rubbish these days!!!!

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 08:20:11 pm »

I use Freesat and yes its free hence the name. However you will need to buy a receiver. This is very convenient for anyone who has or had or inherited a SKY dish as its a simple change over, just tell sky where to go and throw their receiver out the door  {-)

EDIT
I would add that Freesat is of benefit where digital TV signal is poor. Certainly from Cornwall I doubt you would ever experience interference with a satellite signal in any weather.
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 08:30:18 pm »

I use freesat, where I live we are on a booster, and have a grand total of about 20 freeview channels (including the adio ones) so I used my sky dish and bought a freesat, get pretty much every channel

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2021, 10:14:52 am »

Only problem with Freesat is down to weather. When it rains, signal can be masked by trees, water on leaves is an excellent signal blocker as is snow or water on dish. Have to trim next doors branches for former and have a long handled brush for snow. "No signal or signal not strong enough" are the clues on a blank screen. Smart TV has built in Freeview so I can do a change over, Dish and Aerial.

Regards  Ian.

PS. If you have to have a dish fitted, make sure they fit a "Wideband" LNB, latest Freesat boxes have 4 channel recording facilities. Freeview needs a separate recorder.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 08:25:51 pm »

A Sky box can be used to receive Freesat. As long as you have a satellite dish and cabling installed. It will work without a Sky subscription.
 Just plug it all in, switch it on and Bob's your uncle. 

I used to work in a care home with 47 rooms, it was always a struggle to get more than the 3 or 4 basic channels using Freeview and even then, they were all pixelated. We bought some used Sky boxes from Ebay and they were very successful. We received 900+ channels including HD ones and radio channels.
We already had a dish installed and a pick up point in every room. We just had to buy a few HDMI leads to connect the boxes to our TVs.
A lot of SKY boxes on Ebay come complete with all leads and a remote so they are literally ready to go. 
All with no subscription charges.   

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 08:38:06 pm »

Over here, we just stream and use a projector, good news, you tube works in my workshop  :-))
Steamed up all the time

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 10:21:42 pm »

A Sky box can be used to receive Freesat. As long as you have a satellite dish and cabling installed. It will work without a Sky subscription.
 Just plug it all in, switch it on and Bob's your uncle. 

Interesting.

How do you get the Sky box to not collect a Sky signal and to tune into Freesat please?
Regards
Kit

RST

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 10:31:23 pm »

Interesting.

How do you get the Sky box to not collect a Sky signal and to tune into Freesat please?
....Presumably as we had before and by nature it will collect everything it can out there, you just need an appropriate code, dongle or plugged in card to de-code the price-paid encrypted channels?

RST

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 10:40:43 pm »

Over here, we just stream and use a projector, good news, you tube works in my workshop  :-))
When I was in France I got lots more content on youtube than I do in the UK -presumably more copyright applies over here!  Netflix is a bit different also.  internetradiouk.com is a boon in either place though I have not found any BBC world service broadcasts for years now though I hear it does exist somewhere.  I was always told VPN's are a little bit of a grey area though they are being pushed everywhere now -it seems a better way to unlock content if you believe it's OK to do it.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 11:47:01 am »

KitS, not sure a Sky box will pick up ALL Freesat signals. Sky boxes have to be able to supply the standard "Free" to air signals with no subscription card but guaranteed way to pick up all Freesat signals is with a "Humax" or similar Freesat box. Doesn't matter if the dish is Sky or whatever, it's an AERIAL that picks up signals. Early Sky supplied DISHES have std. LNB fitted, later ones have wideband LNBs but at the end of the day, the dish is still only an AERIAL.

Regards  Ian.

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 11:23:24 am »

I was sceptical about this at first. So I just bought one Sky box.
Not ever having had Sky at home this was all new to me.

I plugged it in, set it up, and it worked. I am not 100 per cent sure but I am presuming that as the dish is picking up the signal from the satellite which in turn is sent to the Sky box, the signals (Channels) from the satellite are being sent out permanently and just need to be picked up by a suitable dish.

I'm not sure whether the satellite is a "Sky only" one or it sends out all kinds of different companies signals.

As for setting up the actual Sky box, I didn't have to do any "special" setting up. I just switched it on. There were some messages on the TV screen about connecting to the internet, but I ignored those.
Upon selecting the Channel List page, all the channels were there, including all of the different local news channels. Apparently some Sky boxes have a memory of where they were first set up and retain that information. I am in Birmingham and some Sky boxes that I got in a job lot from Cornwall insisted on showing their local news from "down south", but it was easy enough to retune to our local Midlands Today.
Some of our Sky boxes came with a card still inside them and this worked for a while, giving access to the paid channels. Upon removing the card, the box just reverted to receiving all of the free channels.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, maybe we were lucky but, we picked up 900 plus channels. Which gave more than enough choice of viewing to our residents.
Ian.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 09:22:35 pm »

Interesting.

Goodness me, there's some misinformation given out in some of these answers.
If you end a Sky tv subscription and except for Sky Q, you retain the box. Sky will deactivate the paid for channels and you're left with access to what are, essentially, Freesat channels and any others not under 'Freesat' but transmit via the Astra satellite. These may be some tv news channels and radio.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2021, 12:40:50 pm »

Ok jaymac that's clarified what Murdocks minions can supply as a "Free" (£25?) service but again, a dish is a dish and it doesn't matter what is printed on it, it's still only an aerial. Wideband comment applies if using a freesat box with four channel recording facility.

Regards  Ian.

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Freeview Freesat ?
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2021, 08:50:22 pm »

Does anyone have an old dish and would like a Freesat box? I live in SE London and have one that I no longer use. Yours for the asking free of charge, if you are interested.

Neil

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2021, 10:33:53 am »

My 2p worth.

1. Freeview has a limited number of channels & requires an old type aerial although how advanced an arial you need depends on where you live & how many tv's you want to connect. Via an amplifier you can connect as many tv's as you want to that aerial. All (as far as I know) TV's have Freeview receivers.

2. For Freesat you need a separate connection to the dish for each TV and a separate receiver for each TV. Some tv's include a freesat receiver but most don't. The critical bit of the dish to understand is the LNB which is the bit that fits on the end of the arm that sticks out the front of the dish. Originally they would only connect to a single TV but 8 way LNB's are now common. As I said each freesat receiver will need its own connection back to its own dedicated terminal on the LNB. This might mean a lot of new wiring.

3. There are a lot more Freesat channels than Freeview channels. Virtually all Freeview channels are included on Freesat - certailnly including all the main examples - + many more.

4. You cannot record freesat on a Sky box without an active sky subscription.

Fastelectrics

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2021, 01:05:17 pm »

I ran two freesat set top boxes from one LNB using the RF out socket on one box, which allowed me to daisy-chain them together. Not all boxes have this facility but it is handy if they do.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2021, 10:09:04 am »

I ran two freesat set top boxes from one LNB using the RF out socket on one box, which allowed me to daisy-chain them together. Not all boxes have this facility but it is handy if they do.

I am not sure how this would work as I understand that one of the things that the LNB does is to set the polarity of the signal which can be one of two modes. It can't be both at once.

The old SkyHD box (which is what we use) has a RF (standard aerial cable) out which enable the connection of a second set and if you add a "magic eye" you can select a different channel to the one being watched by the main TV. It is not HD however. There is still the 2 channel limit  as the receiver only has 2 LNB inputs.

As far as I know you cannot connect a second receiver/decoder as there is no RF in on the satellite receiver.

I do not think that Sky Q boxes have RF out but rather you buy extra room decoders.

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2021, 10:37:49 am »

Sky Q has HDMI to TV and WiFi to
mini boxes for other TV's.
Sky Q boxes are the property of
Sky and are returned if you come
out of contract.
Ned.
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2021, 12:27:02 pm »

Sky Q boxes are the property ofnSky and are returned if you come out of contract.

Ned.

This can be a good thing as it is Sky's job to repair/replace it if it goes wrong. Old sky boxes, where recording won't work anyway, are only of value to those who have en existing (not Q) broken sky box. Q removes the problem.

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2021, 02:47:05 pm »

This can be a good thing as it is Sky's job to repair/replace it if it goes wrong. Old sky boxes, where recording won't work anyway, are only of value to those who have en existing (not Q) broken sky box. Q removes the problem.
If you are considering having Sky Q or have it, you would need to tell Sky to install a 'hybrid' LNB when they do the Sky Q installation. The Sky HD+ LNB does not do Sky Q and the Sky Q LNB does not do Freesat unless you specify you want a hybrid LNB capable of receiving Freesat.

Then, if you cancel Sky Q and return the box, you can either buy an HD+ box off Fleabay and just connect the old Sky aerial feeds or if you tv has an inbuilt Freesat tuner, connect the old Sky aerial feeds directly to it. If not, you'd have to buy a Freesat box.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2021, 04:26:23 pm »

So, going back to the original question Freeview uses the old multi element aerial and Freesat uses a dish and has NOTHING to do with SKY control, the signal is independent of the box it's connected to Same as mix and match R/C transmitters and receivers.
       As stated earlier, if you want to use the four program(me) recording facility of the latest FREESAT boxes, you need a wideband LNB fitted to the DISH. Early SKY dishes had a standard LNB fitted which will work with ANY FREESAT box. The Latest SKY dishes are fitted with the wideband LNB which is essential for SKY Q.
      FREESAT boxes are a one off cost, NO extra costs EXCEPT whichever system used, FREEVIEW Or FREESAT OR SKY, you need a British Bull***t Company license to view any programme, many of which we've already paid for, as repeats.

Regards  Ian. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.