Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Models and charity  (Read 1340 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Models and charity
« on: November 06, 2021, 08:45:31 pm »

Hi all a friend of mine (who has gone on to be a millionaire and incredibly successful, let's face it he could sell freezers to Eskimos) (I mention that only to point out he knows what he's talking about when it comes to promoting stuff)
[/size]He asked me what I did with my models and I said they go in the shed in the garden and then get used for parts in new builds or in the bin. I said a while ago I gave a load away for spares or repair (the bloke who had them came from a long way away) he said have you thought of auctioning them for Charity and I said no, no one would want them, I put 2 1/6 bikes on ebay and they went for £4.70 for the 2vof them. I told him I would rather have set fire to them if I thought that's all they were worth.[/color]
[/size]He said if I had said the proceeds were to go to charity the result would have been very different, so to cut a long story short do you agree. Is it worth putting my models up for auction (the only one I have available atm is the 1/12 Airfix Bentley boat tail, which is covered in spray dust but could be cleaned off fairly easily)[/color]
[/size]What do you think.[/color]

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Models and charity
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 09:14:22 am »

You could try one and see how it goes.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2021, 01:10:15 am »

@kpnuts
What your friend says will certainly be true for charity auctions. That is auctions that are specifically held for a charity or charities. That is because the people who turn up to bid are there to 'give' more than to buy, and some of them will be virtue signaling to others in the group. A regular auction is a different crowd, and most bidders, in the auctions I have been to, are traders who come to buy and then sell on at the best profit they can get. Occasionally you get 'over enthusiastic amateurs', as they are called in the game, and they might bid higher for charity, but only if there are two of them in the room bidding against each other.
Finding charity auctions may be difficult. There is a website https://www.ukauctioneers.com/ and you could try contacting them and asking if they know about any charity auctions, or where else you might ask. The only other thing I can think of is to wait for Red Nose Day, find local organisers, and see if you can organize a local auction for people's unwanted items. Maybe a local auction house would be willing to assist in the process, as it could be good PR for them.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RST

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 10:35:29 pm »

It sounds like your friend is the best person to place and take care of it if he's that good at making money?  Put his money where his mouth is??
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.