Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Australian Bush Tucker by the light of the Navigation Light  (Read 1116 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Australian Bush Tucker by the light of the Navigation Light
« on: November 07, 2021, 03:24:40 am »

In an earlier thread today I mentioned that stern facing navigation lights had me tossed......to this it appeared some Folk found my use of these English words as a criticism  >:-o

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,63135.msg729451.html#msg729451

So to complicate my query, it was mentioned that stern facing Navigation lights are necessary when the tug is being towed [ I assume] astern

I certainly do not dispute this apparent necessity, however find no reference to this from my Google search??

Going back into the grey matter, the 4th Switzer Tug used in Kembla when handling 100,000 tonners as a spring in tension [ie facing the tow]

... %) .so I am not sure what navigation lights our Switzers have employed or displayed when in tension at the stern of the tow?

So I have assured Rich that I am not a model boat builder, but if he or any anothers wish, I am more than happy to create some Australian Bush Tucker recipes for all to try at home

1. the ever popular main of Scottish stew , based upon the tender 1/4 of Kangaroo hind, with boiled Yams and Gum leaf Salad
2. a desert of Native Avacordos, Bush Berries with lashings of Youghet based upon fermented grubs

3. all washed down with a mug Murray River mulled mud Wine :-X

As you can see, I have many a food recipe & could include a Haggus of Ostrich or tenderloins of Water Buffulo for George or any so inclined  {-) 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Australian Bush Tucker by the light of the Navigation Light
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 01:27:36 pm »

A dead vessel usually only displays lights when being pushed, I do not believe it is required to show lights when being towed with all the information being displayed by the towing vessel.

Check here:

https://www.getlostpowerboattraining.com/vessel-lights-a-complete-guide/#:~:text=Vessels%20engaged%20in%20towing%20and%20whose%20purpose%20is,is%20placed%20above%20the%20usual%20white%20stern%20light.

Reversible port and starboard navigation lights are used by the likes of double ended ferries.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 01:48:39 pm »

According to Colregs, a towed
vessel must show side lights
and a stern light.
I would assume a tug secured
stern on to the stern of a towed vessel
would be regarded as a tow,
therefore showing side lights
reversed and a white light on the bow.
Ned.
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 10:33:40 pm »

Our latest Live Steamers Probationary Member [October 2021] just happens to be the Senior Marine Pilot for the Port of Kembla....who confirms the following of the latest Svitzer Tug Ruby power plant detail source, and the duty cycle as used in Kembla

"This latest vessel measures 32.00m overall with a beam of 12.80m and a draft aft of 5.37m. She is powered with a pair of Caterpillar 3516C main engines, each developing 2,350kW at 1,800rpm driving Rolls-Royce US 255 CP type azimuthing Z-drives of 2,800mm diameter. Two sets of Caterpillar C 6.6 125eKW generator sets provide the auxiliary power"

It appears that the 4th Tug when handling the 100,000 tonners is always Tugs bow to the stern of the Tow and with the Azimuth drives, can maintain the needed tension to the Tow

[Kembla Ports Movements confirm all planned arrivals/depertures, including bulk carrier to 100,000 + tonnes, & Box Boats are on a 24/7 around the clock basis]

The Pilot boat will venture some 5 to 10 km from the Heads with the Pilot, generally the Tugs meet the Tow at/within the Heads, the only time the Tugs exit the Heads is if called to a ship with a planned dead engine, or a failed engine on the way to the Heads 

---------------------
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 21 queries.