Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/5 Riva Aquarama...  (Read 4643 times)

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/5 Riva Aquarama...
« Reply #75 on: August 03, 2022, 10:19:04 pm »

Cooling plate now brazed, and a couple of pinholes tracked down and sealed so it's watertight. 5mm id pipe for in and outlet.

Best regards to all
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2022, 05:39:02 pm »

Another couple of hours today. The case for the ESCs is now ready to test. The two ESCs are equipped with heatsinks that are in contact with the case. The case will be constantly cooled by the water cooled base plate. If more cooling is needed the fans spool up at a set temperature and increase in speed as required. Connections are all in place through the case. I'm mainly using multiplex connections for control and telemetry.  Nice and positive physical connection and carry 6 wires.

And the hull frames and keel will be modified to place the case lower in this kind of position, right behind the motors. White blocks indicate approximate LiPo positions.

Again... This is all because I chose to use the aircraft oriented FrSky Neuron ESCs to control the 1600w motors. They would just cook in a sealed boat hull without sufficient cooling.

Very best regards to all.
David.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2022, 06:55:21 pm »

Again ....  :o
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Stuw

• Full Mayhemer
  • slow motion modeller...
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2022, 08:45:41 am »

%%  Serious heat dissipation being planned! Itíll work a treat I reckon. Wow....
2 Lesro Javelins... and thatís it. Not even close to finished!

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2022, 10:28:51 am »

Morning Stuw

Hope so..!  Moved on to the electronics, I've had the individual systems working on the bench when building and testing, now getting the components mounted for integration with the boat.  In the Aquarama its tricky to use space forward of the motors for equipment that may need access, and not ideal to add weight forward anyway given that the boat builds bow heavy.  So I'm making up two 6mm boards that are 200x120mm and will become boxes that will fit either side of the batteries (seen in the above picture as white blocks).  The hull frames will be adapted to accept the boxes before the frames are bonded in place.  This is the first board (port side) that will be taking the sound system and a couple of related Arduinos and relays.  I'll be adding 40mm 12v fans to keep an air flow across the electronics.  Lower left are the two 15W amplifiers, one for each V8. These are TPA3110 Amps (£5.20 each on Amazon...) as they seem to give a better sound than the original PAM8610 units, I've also switched to conventional relays as the RC switches as I was having problems with the Mosfet type switches leaking current resulting in and on state, and an almost off state... Not ideal as it produced all sorts of whines and strange noises. The relays are larger, but are 100% on, or off...

Larger components mounted using stand offs, small components will be added to the grey DIN rails using 3D printed mounts, cable routing on the back of the board.

Power coming in from a 4S liPo using an XT60 connector, though switch, a fuse (5A at the moment) and then a 12v step down for the Amps and fans and so on.

The second board (to be starboard mounted) will accommodate the Receiver, SBEC, water pump relay, fan temp control and bilge water sensor.

Best regards to all.
David.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2022, 06:25:17 pm »

Hi David,
Fantastic build!
Have you done / got a 'block diagram' of the all the electrics... I'd love to see one!   :-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2022, 05:04:38 pm »

Hi Martyn
Thanks for that..!  And I don't have a diagram at the moment. But I think I could do with drawing one out, it would help with the work in progress.

Best regards
David.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: Yesterday at 11:24:10 am »

Hi Martyn, and All...

It did help to try putting thoughts re the build hardware on paper, here's my attempt to summarise what's being done, lots more space to play with in this build. This is a guide to the systems and their layout, bow being up...

At the moment I'm building up the 'Port Electronics Package', but have some spare mounting space in it so may move over some of the systems from Stbd side, issue there is I then need to 'bridge' over more connections from stbd side which has the Rx... Not the end of the world...

This is the current state of the 'Port package', sounds systems and Vibration (cranking) motor are working with no blue smoke, yet...

And this is a schematic of channel usage:

The 5 / 12V regulators are a mix of types depending on current need.

The sound systems are using Aquarama V8 samples, bow speakers are selected for bass...   The Exciters, I'm thinking of placing them inside port and stbd hull sides.

Exhaust smoke.  After scouring YouTube for options, I'm going to try a glycerine based system using some nichrome wire and fibreglass cord to generate white smoke, then fans to drive it through the exhausts. And an Arduino / Mosfet arrangement to vary the volume of smoke and speed it gets expelled depending on the throttle setting....  But not started that yet.

Some of the channel usage doesn't really need to be on separate channels, I could use Y leads, but as the channels are available it makes everything a little more flexible down the line.

As always, the challenge is getting it all working in the real world...   :-))

Best regards to all.
David.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #83 on: Yesterday at 04:47:48 pm »

Astonishing!  :o :o :o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up