Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bow Thruster Installation  (Read 1930 times)

Pauli

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Bow Thruster Installation
« on: December 30, 2021, 12:33:45 pm »

Hi, I am looking to install a Raboesch Mini Bow Thruster 108-20 into my current build. Reading other people's experiences with bow thrusters (regarding the paddle becoming loose) I wonder if I should secure the paddle to the motor spindle with a suitable adhesive before installing it in the hull?

Also, would there be any issues with mounting the motor in a horizontal position rather than vertically? I ask this as with the motor in a horizontal position I would be able to unscrew the motor retaining screws by reaching under the deck if I needed to take the motor out for any reason. With the motor in a vertical position, the only way of accessing the motor screws would be by making a removable hatch in the deck which I would prefer not to do.

Any advice appreciated.

Kind regards,
Pauli

hama

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Bow Thruster Installation
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2021, 01:33:35 pm »

Hello Pauli!
I have two mini thrusters installed and my experience is that it is essential to have access for maintenance. I run in brackish water so my shafts do seize sometimes. Only way to fix this is to remove and oil the motor shaft.  I haven't had any paddles come loose though.
As for mounting, I think you can mount as you feel suits your needs best. One of mine is vertical, the other one almost horizontally.
Hope this helps, others may advise differently.
Hama

Pauli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2021, 01:55:12 pm »

Hi Hama, Thanks for your reply. What you have said about having access to the bow thruster for maintenance echoes what others have said.

I am encouraged by the fact that you have one of your units mounted almost horizontally, as I feel this is probably the way I shall mount mine in order to access the motor screws.

Thanks for the information.

Kind regards,
Pauli

ChrisH1981

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 06:51:28 pm »

Hi Paul, I have one of my bowthrusters fitted at 45 degrees to the keel of the hull. It allows very good access for removing the motor assy from the tube if there is ever a need to do maintenance. It doesn't matter whether you fit horizontally. vertically or any degree of inclination, the thruster will work in the same way. Hope this helps

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 06:57:17 pm »

I have one of these small thrusters mounted in a Revell Queen Mary 2 plastic R/C conversion. It works OK but the thrust in one direction is stronger than in the other. I don't know if this is due to the thruster or to the R/C control.

Colin

Pauli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 11:17:16 am »

Hi ChrisH1981,
Thanks for sharing your experience with the bow thruster installed in your model - I shall now feel more confident in installing it horizontally, which I think is the best option for me if I have to remove the motor at some point.

Kind regards,
Pauli

Pauli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 11:18:33 am »

Hi Colin,
Thanks for adding your observation. I will have to wait and see when I get it in the water to see how it behaves. I intend to drive it with a small ESC from a proportional channel so perhaps I may be able to "trim out" any bias in the thrust output if this occurs.

Kind regards,
Pauli

Adam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 07:31:36 pm »

Do not let the "paddle" thruster run dry.
They are very bad at that.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2022, 07:33:33 am »

HI YES ive  yes ive fitted in two bow thruster so far an had to make up a paddle as mine broke split on the motor spindle  but ive now fitted on in my hms tiger build on here an ive fitted it in vertical as that way i can get to the motor monting screws easy but make sure you have a good water tight fit in the hull pipe as i fitted resin aound mine an no leaks so good luck with fitting yours  sir
chris  :-))

Pauli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2022, 12:37:40 pm »

Hi Adam, Thanks for your reply and a Happy New Year!

When you say "Do not let the "paddle" thruster run dry" do you mean don't operate it out of water?

Kind regards,
Pauli

Pauli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 01:01:45 pm »

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply and a "Happy New Year".

I intend to bond the thruster tubes to the hull using "Deluxe Materials Fusion" and will make sure it is sealed all around the edge of the tube, as I agree a leak here would not be good.

By the way I just looked at your build log of HMS Tiger. The detail and complexity of the electrics is incredible - you are to be congratulated on a fantastic model  :-))

Kind regards,
Pauli

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 03:39:36 pm »

Hi Chris, Thanks for your reply and a "Happy New Year".

I intend to bond the thruster tubes to the hull using "Deluxe Materials Fusion" and will make sure it is sealed all around the edge of the tube, as I agree a leak here would not be good.

By the way I just looked at your build log of HMS Tiger. The detail and complexity of the electrics is incredible - you are to be congratulated on a fantastic model  :-))

Kind regards,
Pauli

HI again Pauli   many thanks  for your kind comment on my tiger build an yes hopefully tiger will be a nice model but a lot still to do on her wireing but cant do anything at the moment as i had a eye op in hos just before xmas  to have a new eye lens fitted in my eye so im under orders to not do any modelin from the hos am my wife jen has been told to keep an eye on me for another few more days so im bored stiff an p*ssted off  exscuse please my french an at the junk on the telly so been watching models built on u tube but then im still fed up nothing like you own build is there but as soon as im able to tiger build will be under way again oh heaven that will be cant come quick enough  an a
HAPPY NEW YEAR to you also Pauli ps what model ship are you building an is it on here ? :-))
ATB  :-))
chris an jen

Pauli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 05:02:12 pm »

Hi Chris, Wishing you all the best with your recovery from your eye operation - good to see that your good lady is reigning you in from doing anything that might impede this.

I agree TV is pretty grim at most times of the year and I tend to avoid watching it if I can although SWMBO likes to watch some programmes.

I am new to the boat modelling hobby (I have two builds under my belt) - I find the construction very relaxing and combine it with listening to audio books or podcasts.

My current build is of the Ro-Marin / Krick Paula 3 which is quite a simple model, but I am planning to incorporate some additional details and features.

Best wishes for the New Year and a full recovery from your operation.

Kind regards
Pauli

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 05:30:51 pm »

Hi Chris, Wishing you all the best with your recovery from your eye operation - good to see that your good lady is reigning you in from doing anything that might impede this.

I agree TV is pretty grim at most times of the year and I tend to avoid watching it if I can although SWMBO likes to watch some programmes.

I am new to the boat modelling hobby (I have two builds under my belt) - I find the construction very relaxing and combine it with listening to audio books or podcasts.

My current build is of the Ro-Marin / Krick Paula 3 which is quite a simple model, but I am planning to incorporate some additional details and features.

Best wishes for the New Year and a full recovery from your operation.

Kind regards
Pauli

Pauli could we see some pics on here as id be instrested to what your ship is like ?
chris

Pauli

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2022, 10:29:10 am »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your interest. As I am new to the hobby I wouldn't be inclined to produce an actual build log, but I may upload some pictures once it is finished. A couple of forum members on here have written excellent build logs of the Paula 3 which I have enjoyed reading.

Kind regards,
Pauli

Adam

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2022, 08:57:29 pm »

do you mean don't operate it out of water?
I do.... ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.