Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building Deans HMS Amethyst  (Read 2567 times)

neilgwilt

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Building Deans HMS Amethyst
« on: November 14, 2021, 07:33:30 pm »

Hi Folks,
    I've just started to build this model and reading through the data and assembly booklet, I have a question. I may be blind, lol having read this manual 3 times but can find no where were it tells you at what point or how to seal the upper deck to the hull.  Looking at the models etc the deck and super structure is detachable. How then is the deck sealed to stop any water entering the hull while running? I have a feeling that this is a silly question, but think I working myself into a corner .

Many thanks
Neil

DBS88

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building Deans HMS Amethyst
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 09:23:38 pm »

Neil welcome I look forward to following your build since I am hoping to start on a Black Aswan Sloop soon, just need to finish a couple of things first. In the meantime enjoy your build it looks fabulous when done.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2021, 09:51:08 pm »

Deans instructions are not as always comprehensive as they could be and sometimes assume that the builder already has some expertise.

I am not familiar wih Amethyst but having built other Dean's kits a common practice is to glue stripwood along the inside of the GRP hull just nelow the top edge to make a ledge for the deck to sit on. You need to ensure that the hull has been trimmed to the right height if necessary. Sometimes there is a guideline on the hull for this. Clamps can be used to hold the stripwood in place while the glue sets. Epoxy is probably best but some people use thick cyano.

You can then sit the deck onto the ledge and glue it in place. As you will be gluing a plastic deck to stripwood and GRP,  epoxy glue is probably the best option and you should 'rough up' the mating surfaces of the plastic deck to give a good key.

Slow setting Cyano glue is an alternative but my preference would be for the epoxy.

Use tape to bind the top of the hull to the deck whilst the glue is setting.

This method usually works very well.

The removable superstructure should fit over coamings to keep water out. It is also a good idea to mechanically fix it to the hull by running removable horizontal stiff wire lengths through the bottom of the superstructure and the coamings to stop them becoming detatched in rough conditions or in the event of a collision. A lot of models have been sunk by the superstructure detaching in such situations. Just having the superstructure sit on top of the coamings is insufficient really.

Colin

neilgwilt

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 12:24:54 pm »

Thanks Guys. I felt that glue was required but the instructions are a little m light on that. Thanks for the idea re super structure I initially thought of a ply fin to rest under the deck and use hidden screws to hold in place.

Many thanks
Neil

NickelBelter

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2021, 01:34:56 pm »

I have a 1/72 scale River-class, similar in design to the Black Swans, and I ended up making two hatches plus the superstructure removable in order to get good access into the hull.  With the low rear deck sealed up, I have no problems running it in choppy weather. 

The rear gun area and the boiler room vent/midships liferaft stations are where the removable deck sections are.  I can take a better picture if it would help. 

I'm interested in tiny versions of regular size things.

neilgwilt

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2021, 02:52:05 pm »

Thank you
Nice picture

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 04:04:17 pm »

If you need to have an access point on a deck which is near the waterline I use Vaseline as a sealant and this works well. The deck is removable if needed and pretty near watertight. I also agree on mechanical fastenings. Sometimes a strong gust of wind can create a partial vacuum so the internal air pressure can blow the superstructure off as much as suction from the wind!

Cheers

Geoff 

Railbob

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 06:55:29 pm »

Hi Neilgwilt, I hope I can give you a few hints as I've just completed the Deansmarine Amethyst. In regards to fixing the deck to the hull  I used the method that Colin has in that I used an epoxy resin and Milliput epoxy which I sanded down to smooth finish, I've added a photo which shows an incomplete hull fixing but should give you an idea of how it works. As for keeping things watertight try and keep any openings "Tight" that is as small as possible. I will say that I found building Amethyst a bigger challenge building than my two previous ships Javelin and Cossack but I really like how she has turned out. This was Amethyst on her trials a few weeks ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctydRYV97pI

neilgwilt

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2021, 03:59:51 pm »

Hi,
 Nice picture she looks great. I'm learning thow difficuilt and thought I'd be farther along by now. Best laid plans and all that. I oped to build as twin screw  twin motors and dual control. Begining to think I need help lol
Thanks for the post
Neil

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2021, 08:53:44 pm »

HI Neil the picture below shows four motors installed in one of my models. Fitting two is no different than fitting four only less motors. I have sent you a pm .

Stan 

alan p

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2022, 04:59:27 pm »

Hello Neil,
I'm building a Deans Marine kit (Christiaan Brunning) and have been for some months now.
I agree with you and other posters about the instructions in the kit.  I too feel they are aimed several yards over my head, and assume a level of expertise I do not have.
However,  by carefully reading between the lines and the use of the OED for the words I didnt understand, plus some imagination, I think I got there in the end.
Good luck with your build
Alan   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.