Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A touch of nostalgia  (Read 13895 times)

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A touch of nostalgia
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2021, 08:42:56 pm »

Come on Joe, one buggy, one plane......you have to give it a go  O0
Steamed up all the time

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2021, 04:41:38 am »

Hi Joe;

Yeah,it's soooo interesting to "drive" a RC car at low speed like walking level sometimes if you could find suitable place
as I have posted here several times so far in this column. Moreover it's healthy enough additionally.

Pics below are 9km run with my Tamiya 1/10 Toyota FJ cruiser.
I normally carry a Rc car whenever I go out somewhere 100km away or more for a trip by my 1/1 car. {-) %% :-))

Kiyo

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2021, 12:03:40 pm »

Due to fusegulge shape you need to fly in long grass to save its undersides BUT i'll bet on landing you find the ONLY damn rock in the field  O0  Re-powered tow launch, over on RC group forum, dragging a glider behind a toy boat has been tried.

If you have the plan for the Elmira KitS fine but if not, have a look on "Outerzone"

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2021, 05:26:46 pm »

If you have the plan for the Elmira KitS fine but if not, have a look on "Outerzone"

Amazingly I still have them Ian, but they are a bit past their best, full of pin holes of course, so I'll have a look and see if I can get a newer set. Thanks for the tip.  :-))
Regards
Kit

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2021, 06:49:11 pm »

Kiyo I agree with you, I prefer a more scale speed driving around a course in my back garden, the course is formed with the wife's flower pots, I've not broken any of them yet, I do like the wheels on your cruiser.

Ian I always looked for long grass when I flew my first Dolphin to cushion the landing but I think this one will remain suspended in the workshop, it was never about the flying of it just the enjoyment and nostalgia of building it, I may finish the trimming with a few low flights next spring/summer.

Joe.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2021, 10:46:03 am »

Hi Joe;

Here are  my indoor flying planes of 1/100 scale that have nothing to do with any weather conditions at all.! {-) O0 %% ;)
Very Very powerful enough to fly as if they could fly away once the suspended threads were cut out.!! {-) O0 :-))
Take a look at serious air battles. {-) %% :-) ok2 !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRyo9gWgvcg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rucr7FIk284
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQl_wzdSM3k

Kiyo

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2021, 01:00:55 pm »

That's very cool Kiyo so are the large scale planes you are well into every thing RC something I've been interested in since my teens.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2021, 02:54:39 pm »

Inspired by Kiyo's (Backerther) ceiling hangers I thought just for fun I'd try the same with an old stick and tissue Spitfire that has been sat on a shelf for a few years, so I removed the rubber "power" and fitted a spare 00 gauge loco motor after a bit of trial and error I got it working .

]https://youtu.be/fDixd_FG8wI

Joe

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2021, 06:58:57 pm »

Brilliant Joe  :-)
Steamed up all the time

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2021, 02:22:24 am »

Hi Joe;
I appreciated your new work of the ceiling hanging Spitfire very very much with a large interest and fun.
It is so powerful and dynamic partly because the plane is large for flying in the room and speed like a real one ?
With the video,I have felt that this plane could be something like playing a powerful air circulator judging from the movement
of the plane and prop by which the air may be stirred up sufficiently around the ceiling. :-)) O0 {-)

Mine is 1/100 scale plane with a micro motor which only generates a sound like a flying mosquito... <:( :-X {-)
Diameter of the motor is 6mm and the shaft is 0.6 or 0.7mm if I should correctly remember..

Kiyo

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2021, 09:39:09 am »

Thanks for your interest guys, It's a 12 volt motor, I tried it on 6 volts first and it nearly flew off the end of the bench so then tried 3 volts but as there's very little load on the motor it still needed a resister wired in, when switched on it starts off slow and builds up speed after a couple of circuits and then has a quite pleasing bank on the plane,    it was fun to do but I think I must get out more :o %) {-)

Joe.

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2021, 10:16:17 am »

Hi Joe;

I had the same experience as you did with the high speed at which you must have been sooo surprised. {-) {-) %% :o

Kiyo {-)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2021, 01:02:09 pm »

Apart from my scratch building of boats over the last 3 or 4 years I've not built much else. When young I only had Meccano, built a few Airfix kits and messed about with a partially built trainer type free-flight plane. My two lads had off-road buggies, one of which is still in the roof.

My mother had a stroke a few months ago and I'm spending time, along with other family members, at her house every week. I have time on my hands and particularly going into winter I've had thoughts of building something but what? Can't be a boat as I'm only really interested in scratch building my Faireys and I don't have the tools etc. over there.

Nearly decided on a trainer aircraft kit (neighbour is keen to teach me to fly) but I'd have to build in another room to my mother, but she does sleep a lot!

But thanks to this thread I have the ideal solution which can be built in the lounge. I like the trucks but they are expensive for a time filler and are limited in where they can be used. I've always liked Unimogs though and as soon as I saw that Tamiya did one my mind was made up and I have one ordered. My mother has a big garden so plenty of space to run it.

Thanks guys for the inspiration! Will probably do the aircraft at some point though!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2021, 03:05:37 pm »

Hi Chris sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she's recovering,  yeah you'll have fun with the Mercedes Unimog it's the same chassis as my Colt Pajero and a set of ballrace bearings in place of the stock plastic ones is well worth considering, and expect some of the plastic parts of fail with use the first to break on mine were the steering knuckles and link arms, it's all part of the fun and these are easily replaced with alloy upgrades as photo,  let us know how you get on with it. :-))

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2021, 03:19:47 pm »

Thanks Joe

She has made some improvement but not expecting much unfortunately.

Thanks for the tips. Where do you get the ballraces etc. from? Can't wait to get started!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2021, 07:08:12 pm »

Hi Chris,  You can get it all on E-bay just look for Tamiya CC-01 or CC-02 Chassis upgrades I believe the Unimog has two versions so best check which chassis yours has, ether way the ballrace bearings are well worth doing as part of the build as some of them are inside the diffs etc.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2021, 09:02:50 pm »

Thanks Joe, will check them out. I've bought the version with the CC-01 chassis as I wanted the Unimog with the squarer front.

I can see how folks get hooked on Tamiya vehicles!

Chris

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2021, 05:06:36 am »

Hi Joe;

I am also enjoying CC-01 RC car with modifying many parts of my 1/10 FJ-Cruiser.
One of them is an stroke extension link(OP-1519/54519)to improve a trail run performance. :-))

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2021, 10:32:41 am »

If you do venture to the "Dark" side Chris, have a look at "Outerzone" for free toy aircraft plans.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2021, 11:15:31 am »

Thanks Ian.

No doubt at some time I will be drawn into the black hole!

Chris

Backerther

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2021, 11:28:45 am »

Hi Chris;

I do recommend you to try flying a RC airplane if you could find a suitable place to fly.
Very Very interesting to fly that I guarantee!! :-))
1/2;My first low wing trainer by which I could master a take-off and landing procedures
3/4;But final purpose is to fly a scale plane like this...
5;Landing gears down for landing!! :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2021, 01:00:43 pm »

The kit has arrived which is good as it was being shown as shadow stock and I wasn't really expecting until the new year.

This was supposed to be a relatively inexpensive build but in addition to the ballrace bearings I've got a full aluminium conversion kit and metal diff gears. Good job I've already got the radio gear!

Will get started after Christmas.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2021, 01:36:24 pm »

Nice one Chris,  you won't be sorry you bought the upgrades as some of the plastic parts break quite easily especially where there is a hole close to the edge of the part, a steering knuckle broke on my Pajaro even when it wasn't being used, as I was putting the battery in for a run and I noticed the front wheels out of line and found the knuckle had broken where the ball screws in at the end of the arm, the plastic surrounding the hole had failed probably because the ball cuts it's own tread in the plastic and caused too much pressure, then on further inspection I found the steering idle arms had failed in a similar manner, so you'll no doubt find it's money well spent, your Unimog will be quite robust with all those alloy parts and they run so much better with the proper bearings, enjoy your build mate, I'm expecting a Tamiya Hornet very soon  :-))

Joe           and  a very happy Christmas to my follow Mayhemers

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2021, 02:15:37 pm »

Thanks Joe. All useful to know.

It will be difficult to resist getting some of the other models! Sounds as though you've failed!  {-)

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2021, 07:05:58 pm »

Yeah your right Chris the Hornet will be number 4 and counting.  :embarrassed:

Joe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.