Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A touch of nostalgia  (Read 13948 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A touch of nostalgia
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2022, 03:35:56 pm »

Chris if you've still not found any bearings try www.rcbearings.co.uk  they have the kit for CC-01 chassis   

Click on Tamiya bearing kits and then on Tamiya chassis    £12.96 set

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2022, 05:33:51 pm »

Thanks for that Joe. However they aren't manufactured/supplied by Tamiya and I'm worried I might end up with the same problem!

I shall get some genuine Tamiya which will hopefully do the trick. I thought this was just going to be a buy it and build it job unlike my scratch built boats!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2022, 06:00:39 pm »

Yeah I can understand that Chris, I've built six vehicles the last few years and never had a problem with the upgrade bearings I've even bought them on ebay mind you they were Tamiya, hope you get sorted

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2022, 11:57:37 pm »

Thanks Joe

Managed to find a set of genuine Tamiya bearings for another chassis which provides those that I need so ordered and expected delivery on Friday.

Back to boats in the meantime!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2022, 12:25:02 pm »

I would doubt that even Tamiya is big enough to warrant a production run of unique sized bearings. Any ones they supply will be standard industrial sizes which can also be provided by third party suppliers, probably at a lower price than Tamiya. When I built one of their trucks (Mercedes Actross 3363) I bought a set of bearings from an aftermarket suplier and they fitted perfectly.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2022, 12:36:11 pm »

I think you're probably right Jim, thinking about it the ones I bought on ebay claimed to be Tamiya but they came in an unmarked poly bag, but they did fit perfectly.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2022, 04:20:12 pm »

Dead right Jim, why use something different when there are standard components out there that will do the job.

It's not like the Carson one's were cheap and I believe they have links with Tamiya. A guy on a Tamiya forum said that he's used some cheaper bearings in the past and found that the fit did vary.

I had to get the genuine ones though to discount any differences with third party suppliers (though no doubt Tamiya buy them in!) and if they don't fit as they should I have a problem!

When you guys fit them are they tight enough in the various housings and on the shafts that the ballrace is doing what it should do i.e. rotating?

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2022, 05:47:44 pm »

Have to say this is the first time I've heard of upgrade bearings being a poor fit all the bearings I've used have been a tight fit in the housings and an interfearence fit on the shafts, could it be that Tamiya aquire the bearings from a more reliable and precise source.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2022, 10:20:39 pm »

Yeah, just my luck Joe! Though Delboy in an earlier post said he had experienced the same, so I'm not alone.

Bearings arriving tomorrow so I will find out for sure. Had to order some new batteries for my digital calipers so I can do some measuring and get to the bottom of it.

Chris

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2022, 11:25:29 pm »

Pretty sure JimG hit the nail on the head here with BogStandard ball bearings being manufactured to ISO, BS or Din Standards by their millions and to the diametrical tolerances permitted

The only time Model Engineers will [generally] find extended range sizes would be eg.,  matched pair of angular contact or Roller Bearings for the headstock of their Myford lathe   %) ......[but you may need an appointment with the Bank Manager to secure a $$$$ overdraft]

These are manufactured and matched as pairs to very small portions of uM's [Microns'] which most could not see let alone measure  :o

One would suspect if a sealed ball bearing, was either tight or sloppy in a pressure injection cast plastic housing, it is the housing that will be the cause of the questionable Class of fit <*<

Maybe the only thing original with Brand Name bearings, is the cardboard box, or plastic bag they are supplied in

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2022, 12:41:48 am »

Found a thread on the Tamiya Club forum where this problem has been experienced and as you say Derek the finger has been pointed at the plastic housings but not in all cases as some have found using another bearing bought at the same time from the same source was a better fit.

Problem for me is that not only are the bearings fitted so far not a tight fit in the housing but neither are they on the steel shaft so really using ball-raced bearings in this situation is a complete waste of time, well worse than that as you have a steel shaft running in a steel bearing!

If the "genuine" Tamiya bearings don't do the job as they should I'll fit the plastic kit bearings and maybe use use some bearing/shaft compound in the future?

I use Raboesch maintenance free prop shafts in my boat builds and am impressed at the fit of the prop shaft within the ballrace. I have been slightly worried though with the number of times I've had to remove the bearing to ensure accurate alignment of prop shaft and motor before gluing in place but so far so good.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2022, 11:10:10 am »

Chris just a thought have you actually tried the plastic kit bearings for a fit, if the plastic ones are ok it begs the question can the housings/shafts be at fault.  {:-{

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2022, 11:40:10 am »

Yeah, I did try them briefly and they weren't that tight either. Some of the talk on Tamiya Club was that it seemed to be the older kits that were being affected possibly due to the tooling wearing?

Beginning to wish now I'd gone for the other Unimog with the rounded front which has the newer CC02 chassis. With bearings and other bits I've spent far more than the extra £50 that it cost!

Anyway the postman has just been so we will see later today. Wife wants to get out for a walk.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2022, 11:58:39 am »

Hi Chris I kind of wish I had not recommended the upgrade bearings, I was only going on my experience with them where they have all been perfect.  :((

Joe.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2022, 12:28:15 pm »

Wonder how many owners give the cars a three month MOT?  (1/12th scale)

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2022, 06:36:39 pm »

Hi Joe - absolutely no problem with you having done that, it was done in good faith and based on your good experience. In anycase having joined the Tamiya Club forum I would have done the upgrade anyway. As far as I'm concerned it's down to Tamiya and as been said fitting ballraces into plastic housings probably isn't the best of engineering solutions! Well, in model kits.

Tried the Tamiya bearings (made in China!) and they are a smidge tighter but not as tight as I'd like. Outside dia. is 11mm compared to the Carson ones at 10.99. The shafts do fit a bit tighter though and with the shafts fitted and the bearings fitted in the housings they do as they are supposed to, that is the ballraces turn! These are the 1150 bearings which are used most. I did try the smaller 850 bearings (only 3 needed) but these are not tight in the housings or on the shafts. Will probably use  the kit bearings which at least look like bronze.

I'm going to get some of that bearing compound as suggested to ensure the bearings don't turn in the housings.

Very droll Ian!   :-)

Chris

Actually thinking about it I think the bearing compound might be overkill for a model so I'm going to use some clear silicone that I've recently bought for a repair I did on the sink. The bearing only needs to be held lightly and it will be relatively easy to get out again if needed.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2022, 07:38:57 pm »

Well that's sounds a bit better Chris, it's strange that they were a good fit on my CC01 chassis and not on yours, when the steering knuckle broke on mine I had to use a screwdriver to push the bearings out and refit them to the alloy replacement knuckle, I built my CC01 chassis about 4 years ago so nowhere near new.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2022, 08:53:15 pm »

I'll have to have a word with my wife, perhaps the heating is on too high!   %)

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2022, 09:09:22 pm »

{-) {-) {-) %%   

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2022, 11:51:01 pm »

Only got back onto it today as was waiting for some grease and dry lube. Set the bearings in place with a smidgen of clear silicone sealant applied with a cotton bud and left for awhile. Done the trick and the ballraces turn as they should.

Will carry on with the build now.

Chris

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2022, 09:58:54 am »

Son and I were into RC Car racing a few tears abck and these bearings are well respected, even if the company name is a bit cheeky
https://www.rccarshop.co.uk/balls-out-bearings

Will post up some pics of my RC Car collection when I have some time
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2022, 02:20:19 pm »

Hi Chris glad you're getting it sorted  :-))

I was looking at my venerable old Tamiya Pajero (CC01) shelf queen yesterday and thought I'd do a face lift project on it, I've already fitted alloy upgrade steering knuckles and steering arms due the the originals failing, so now I'll also upgrade the rear axle link bars, I've never liked the plastic ones I think they are far too flexible and tend to make the rear suspension sloppy they are probably done in flexi plastic so they don't snap the problem is it tends to stop the shocks from doing their job,  so I have ordered an upgrade link rod set, I've also ordered a Lexan Landrover Defender body kit to complete the makeover, well British don't you know,, now I need to find a CC01 body mount kit there seems to be so much out of stock lately I've had to get the link rods from China.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2022, 04:10:39 pm »

Hi Joe

Yes, just going to start doing a bit more now. The Pajero looks good and nice to do a few upgrades. If (probably!) I build another one I fancy doing a Defender or something in the same vein.

I've started back on my boats again now, are you building anything?

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2022, 07:45:13 pm »

Hi Chris   I noticed you were back on the two Fairies and very nice too, I'm not planning on any more boats at the moment, I've got six boats/ships on the shelves and that's after selling six warships, plus four cars and a tank, the cars seemed to have taken over for now at least they don't take up so much room and I can run them in the garden without planning a trip to a cold lake side.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2022, 09:05:54 pm »

As it's my first build it's certainly providing some brain exercise particularly as I've got the Yeah Racing Conversion Kit which includes steering, suspension and rear 4 link suspension. I have to carefully study each set of instructions to make sure I don't fit any of the Tamiya kit parts that are going to be replaced by the upgrades. I'm missing one of the E-Clips from the upgrades whiich is annoying and will hold me up. Why can't they put a couple of spares in, they must cost virtually nothing. I bent one of the Tamiya ones but at least there was a spare.

Really enjoying it though and makes a nice change from the boats. Not making anything, just screwing it together!

Chris   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.