Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone going to build the £1400 Titanic partwork model  (Read 2296 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Anyone going to build the £1400 Titanic partwork model
« on: December 29, 2021, 04:30:41 pm »

I just saw an advert for the new Titanic model and wondered if anybody is 'investing'?

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Anyone going to build the £1400 Titanic partwork model
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 05:03:29 pm »

Nice kit but I would prefer the Lego Titanic , but SWMBO said, well never said anything it was the look really.. <:( <:(

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2021, 06:08:03 pm »

I saw this advert too and actually it looks like a nice model - but wow what a price!  I know they need to make a profit but why don't they just bring the price down to something a bit more reasonable for the whole life build.  If they did I believe that more people would get involved in our hobby as its so addictive.

Atlantic Mouldings

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2021, 06:12:53 pm »

Im with " The LongBuild " much prefer the Lego one  :-))

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2021, 06:22:33 pm »

"Part" kits were always popular when I ran a newsagents, BUT if a particular title was not popular the publisher simply stopped issuing the magazine - some were not stopped until 20 issues in.
The small print conditions always stated somewhere that the series could be withdrawn, but no refunds would be given.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2021, 06:29:56 pm »

Too many Titanics (and Bismarcks)!

Why not build something more interesting instead of a subject that has been done to death. There are so many more interesting prototypes to choose from. Just needs a bit more effort but you will end up with a much more exclusive model.

Colin

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2021, 11:05:46 pm »

Why not build something more interesting instead of a subject that has been done to death. There are so many more interesting prototypes to choose from. Just needs a bit more effort but you will end up with a much more exclusive model.

Colin
fully agree with . You see it all the time on Facebook model pages etc. I am building the Titanic or here my 6ft Titanic. Do her sister ,that would be a nice change for once,

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 12:23:11 am »

Probably would not sell.

And for the differences in the 3 ships I am sure a modeller could make the changes them selves as one is hopefully doing on the Model boats site at some stage.  :-))

I have had a long interest in the Titanic & Bismark, ( Long before the wrecks were discovered)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 11:01:10 am »

Yes, manufacturers need to choose subjects people are familiar with. From the modeller's viewpoint it is a bit of a shame that you may have spent hundreds of hours on something which is identical to what hundreds of others have done. As Larry says, it is certainly possible to ring the changes to build the Britannic for example which looks very different with its hospital ship livery and gantry davits, seen here in a sinking simulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr5HmOJtgSI

Colin

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 10:16:21 pm »

Colin

A fully radio controlled model iceberg, perhaps? {-)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 10:31:59 pm »

Yes, manufacturers need to choose subjects people are familiar with. From the modeller's viewpoint it is a bit of a shame that you may have spent hundreds of hours on something which is identical to what hundreds of others have done. As Larry says, it is certainly possible to ring the changes to build the Britannic for example which looks very different with its hospital ship livery and gantry davits, seen here in a sinking simulation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr5HmOJtgSI

Colin

But this is what gets people involved in our hobby in the first place.  Many people including me no nothing of the history of ships.

I've seen the same argument on other forums that there are too many Victory's or Rattlesnakes.  It's what people want to build in the beginning and as they gain many many years of experience they too would like to see something else built.

I just think that they could reduce the overall cost of their offering

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 10:48:37 pm »

Victorys and Titanics are not beginners models. Too many newcomers to the hobby jump in at the deep end and consequently end up being disappointed.

Colin

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 10:52:56 pm »

Victorys and Titanics are not beginners models. Too many newcomers to the hobby jump in at the deep end and consequently end up being disappointed.

Colin

I absolutely agree with what you say Colin - but I thought that Partwork was designed so that anyone could assemble them.  If so then why not?  I just think that the cost is just way too high to attract new builders that stay and hopefully move our hobby forward into the future.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2021, 08:01:08 am »

The trick is, it doesn't  seem that much per month .....  ok2
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2021, 10:31:00 am »

I wonder how many of these "Super Kits" are finished? If Kimmels observations are correct, how many Millennium Falcons, De Loreans, etc. ever see the light of day, apart from the ones in the adverts?
  Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

essex2visuvesi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2021, 12:38:00 pm »

I wonder how many of these "Super Kits" are finished? If Kimmels observations are correct, how many Millennium Falcons, De Loreans, etc. ever see the light of day, apart from the ones in the adverts?
  Regards  Ian.

I'm a sucker for a partwork
Build the Black pearl - Completed collection - unstarted
Delorean - Completed collection - part built (Son is building)
RC Red Bull - Completed collection - Car completed
Mazda Cosmo - Collecting

One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity
Proud member of the OAM  (Order of the Armchair Modeller)
Junior member of the OGG  (Order of the Grumpy Git)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2021, 02:04:13 pm »

I thought that Partwork was designed so that anyone could assemble them.

Quite right but from anecdotal evidence it doesn't always work out that way. In some cases part don't fit together properly etc. (I don't think Martin ever finished his Bismarck...)

It is a big commitment on both sides, not just the cost but is there a guarantee that publication will not cease due to low take up of the offer as Kinmel says above? There doesn't appear to b any guarantee in the advertising.

From a practical viewpoint I would be wary of a model which is 1.3m in length when no single piece can exceed the dimensions of a magazine page. To me this suggests rigidity issues as every hull piece must be a perfect fit with the others and to achieve this may require quite a bit of 'over engineering' and hence extra manufacturing cost at the very least.

Obviously it depends on what the purchaser wants to get out of the model, but if you just want a superb scale model of Titanic where the parts are guaranteed to fit together then you could buy the Trumpeter kit for a quarter of the cost and there are lots of extra detailing options available if you want to enhance it further.

The Mantua 1:200 Titanic in it's static display version costs around £820 and is constructed using more conventional modelling construction methods which I suspect most modellers would find more satisfying than  the Hachette assembly method.

Both the latter versions can be constructed in under the almost 3 years it will take for the part work to run.

Food for thought anyway.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2022, 10:49:33 am »

Hi all, one of our club members recently finished a Meccano model of the iconic block setting crane that was featured on the cover of early building instructions. 

The jib at a guess is 5 feet long at least and the magazine with parts was published over a 2 year period but I think it was just in Europe.
Currently running with radio control it is quite a sight, looks good in builders yellow.
Regards
Roy

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
The other, cheaper, partwork!
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2022, 11:01:38 am »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2022, 12:59:16 pm »

LEGO® Titanic - Price   £554.99

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/lego-titanic-10294

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2022, 01:09:55 pm »

Yes, but out of Stock, and I have been given approval to get one  :} :}  but can not open it until next Christmas  ( Small price to pay) although I suspect a bigger price to pay will be forth coming.. %%

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 04:38:29 pm »

I am not going to take up the part work build but thought I would get issue one at £1.99 just for fun whilst passing a WH Smiths

The bits included were all able to be attached with no glue and are a pretty tight fit, only part which does drop out is the large centre part, although I assume it should really be glued together for the long term.

Might be interesting to see part 3 as there is a smoke unit included, if it is a fully working one ( as in all parts included in that issue) then for £ 9.99 might be worth getting ?.

The Decking is stick on but I have attached it by just using the snap in parts.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 05:20:23 pm »

Colin

YES Colin i totally aggree with you thats why i thought id build my hms tiger  with the hanger on the back as its someting different may not look pretty  but its a warship an it may get shot to bits if in a war  but there is plenty of scope to get things working thereby bringing the model to life an looking forward to sailing her
an happy new year to you sir
chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.