Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: US Equivalents for UK Products  (Read 968 times)

admiral_akron

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
US Equivalents for UK Products
« on: November 25, 2021, 02:16:11 pm »

Hi -

I am a new member in the forum and live in the United States. I have learned much from my brief time on the boards and look forward to learning more.

I am prepping a fiberglass hull that I intend to complete as a static model. I have gone through a number of forums, including Stavros’ painting guide; however, a number of products mentioned there (and in other posts) are  unavailable or prohibitively expensive to acquire in the US. Has anyone found good equivalents or substitutions for the following on this side of the pond?

Halford’s Aerosol Paints- I have read that some have used the big Rustoleum rattle cans with success, though, I am wary of losing detail, especially when it comes to fittings. Two other major brands available in the US are Duplicolor and Krylon, the latter of which seems to have a good match for HP’s Polar Gray - they call it “Glacier Gray” - however, it isn’t an auto paint. Unfortunately, the range of colors for clearly labeled retail automotive acrylic enamels seems to be wanting. (Krylon Link: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Krylon-FUSION-ALL-IN-ONE-Matte-Glacier-Gray-Spray-Paint-and-Primer-In-One-Actual-Net-Contents-12-oz/1000460205

When using aerosols in the past, I typically have used Tamiya fine gray primer and then the appropriate spray color; however, matching the spray colors with those in the bottles is an utter headache (just use the same names!). The sheer size of the hull means I would likely have to go through multiple of these little and expensive cans. Great for 1/350 & 1700...1/96, not so much.

I’d great appreciate insight on the following:

Auto Body Fillers - Isopon P38 / P40, Easylite, or Top Stop...the latter two sound like particularly great products. Though there are a few options over here, Bondo is the only auto body filler that I know of; however, I’m not sure of its finish, strength, or ability to be sanded, let alone which of the half-dozen Bondo filler options that I should use. I’d welcome insight on Bondo or other US products.

Primer Filler- Rustoleum and Krylon have primer fillers but I would welcome advice from any who have found better offerings here in the US.

Panel Wipe - I found a PW panel wipe made by Gtechniq on Amazon.

Is this sufficient?

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
Re: US Equivalents for UK Products
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2021, 06:29:08 pm »

I reckon that Krylon acrylic rather than the Duplocolor car paint would be better, being without the urethane bit. They do a full range of primers and seem to be very similar to Halfords. You'll probably also find that your friendly custom car firm can recommend a local firm who mix special colour cans. After that, depending on the size of the model I'd use Vallejo which is easily gettable and either brush paint (which it does very well) or airbrush. It's especially good if you need a specific military colour for example, so if you are building a model of USS Missouri in 1943, there will be a decent Vallejo spec sheet somewhere on line! Sorry, no idea on fillers.
That said, I'm a few miles from where you are so I'm sure that others from nearer to your home will have better info!
Oh, and Welcome to the Mayhem.....hope you enjoy it!
Tony

RST

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2021, 10:59:21 pm »

I personally think it's a little bit dangerous to comment on what's available or spec. for each across borders.  The US products are all well covered (your "California regs" seem to drive allot of things over here and remove lots of useful propertties), but not affect some products here.  I think some EU products are a bit different inbetween.
  • For Halfords:  It is just a useful and readily available store here in the UK.  Our local stores most certainly do NOT offer the same service compared to 10 years ago and are no longer the holy grail they were.  If you can find one that will mix paint my last experience was simply they can only do it by registration plate number if it's not on the shelf, which also doesn't account for some variations of that colour inbetween.  And to be honest to order-in you'd be better just buying on-line.  Some stores seem to mix paint to code, my local 2 or 3 stores apparently have no facility for that.  It does have a great primer, high-build primer for the price and availability though I am 100% convinced the quality of it changed over the years
  • Our local Auto paint depot's served me well over the years but some depots have no access to convert between pantone/RAL/OEM colours so be aware of that -those that do make it sound easy!
  • For filler:  Until this thread when I checked on google I always thought from everything US "BONDO"! meant everything filler in the automotive world.  I learned since it's actually 3M trade name (which it is cerytainly not used as).  I personally prefer Isopon products over U-Pol from both use on cars and other things but U-Pol is certainly not a bad product!  Also upon recomendation from a certain person I bought "Dolphin Glaze" for use on a model and it was just horrible stuff compatred to what I was used to -just not right for my job but others may get on very well enough with it
Rustoleum:  I doubt the UK and USA formulations are the same but I pained my little Multicat with it last year with very good effect and coverage and it was great BUT I found you CAN NOT over-paint with Revell enamel to pick-out any details so have to figure that out.  I used Posca markers etc. to save another xx Rustoleum Aerosols of Rustoleum de-canted for a few drops on a brush.

Panel wipe I don't know.  I've not had facilities to store litres of xylene or tolulene based products for many years.  IPA and solvent based wipes work OK for me -just something as a solvent degreaser.  Don't use white spirit or 'turps unless it's an oil based paint after.  Use scotchbrite pads, DON't use wire wool with anything water based later.  Pass over eveything after with a "tac rag" -they are absolutely brilliant for removing dust and lint.
Good luck with your US quest!
Rich

RST

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2021, 11:00:27 pm »

PS I guess:Happy thanksgiving over there
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.