Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What kind of tug?  (Read 2226 times)

meechingman

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tugs Rule, OK!
    • Andrew Gilbert
What kind of tug?
« on: June 12, 2006, 09:23:52 pm »

I'm still looking for a ready-built tug [see 'ad' in the Wanted section].My current tug is an RTR Graupner Southampton. I've enlarged the rudders on her but haven't gone for separate motor control - yet.

I'm after something that's as manoeuverable as possible. My budget isn't going to run to two Z drives, and I don't fancy V-S that much. From your own experiences, how would you rank the following.

1) Twin screw, twin rudder, independent control of port/starboard motors
2) As 1, but steerable Korts around standard props
3) single screw with steerable kort

My dad was a tug skipper and stood me on a box behind the wheel at the age of 9 and taught me to steer. By 14, I could do anything he could to manoeuvre a twin screw, twin rudder tug or a single screw, single rudder tug. Full size items are one thing, models are another, even if the principles are the same. I know I have much to learn, but I'm on the way. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks
Andy
Admiral of the Haven Towage Fleet.

towboatjoe

• Full Mayhemer
  • Rollin' on the River
    • Towboat Joe
Re: What kind of tug?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 02:06:15 am »

As far as straight shafts go, you can't beat twin screw independent control. It enables you to turn the vessel within it's own length.

I'm a towboat man myself and have piloted a few. With the use of the engines and the flanking rudders I can walk the boat sideways and put a tow of barges between fleets without help from harbor tugs.

Doc

• Full Mayhemer
Re: What kind of tug?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 02:36:23 am »

Being naturally cheap, I think I'd try a 'Becker' rudder before the seperate motor control thingy (meaning two ESC$).  No real need to add any thing internally, servo, etc.  The only 'drastic' modification is a pivot pin in the hull (small hole, easily plugged if the Becker isn't to your taste).  Is it the 'best' method?  Beats me, but I doubt it.  Certainly easy on the wallet though...
 - 'Doc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.