Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/84 HMS Victory  (Read 2259 times)

tomganc

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
1/84 HMS Victory
« on: December 03, 2021, 09:10:08 am »

Hello everyone! 
Let me introduce myself. I’m Tom based in Manchester, UK. I’ve been modelling since I was teenager. I have started with plastic models of aircrafts as it was quite easy one. Then I moved to paper models – this gave me a chance to really work on the details and creativity. I’ve been building WW2 ships and planes for some time.
Then it was a break wen I went to the university, started the family, etc. About 10 years ago I came across the DeAgostini HMS victory partwork and that was me hooked. I bought 1st issue, started reading the forum and that was it. I was loving it very much. I had completely no experience with wooden models, I was learning everything on the go. I started following other’s kit bashing and I started doing some mods myself. The build went for quite some time, and I had to put it on hold. I kept all the magazines and parts knowing that I will get back to it sooner rather than later. She went into the loft, survived two house moves and the time had come to get things restarted 😉
After about 7 years I finally got myself to finish it.During original build I added custom copper plating kit, instead of using a copper tape we were supplied with around 4000 copper tiles which were more to scale. It took absolutely forever to get the hull covered. I had to finish few things regarding copper tiling right now so it is slight difference in tiles tarnishing on the model.Please have a look at some pics from when I started cleaning the hull and coppering the rudder. There are also pics from the overall state when I left off. The deck planks are made off individual pieces instead as per instructions. More realistic look for sure. https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51662060850_13753a8bcc.jpg[/url]

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/84 HMS Victory
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 12:17:55 pm »

Looking good, I wouldn't worry too much about difference in colour of the copper plating. The full size original plates came from different sources and were made at different times so had a large colour range. Modern restorations have a more uniform copper plating as the plates are made using modern industrial processes where the metal composition is highly controlled. Original plates would depend on the composition of the copper ores used.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2021, 06:15:27 am »

She is looking very good indeed.
A little tip…….If your knowledge of rigging these old beauties is limited, ask for advise before starting it as poor rigging can and does ruin many models.

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2021, 07:21:47 pm »

Back in the UK now Footski ?
Steamed up all the time

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 03:04:15 pm »

Aye Phil, 22 years away was long enough. Good to be back..

tomganc

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2021, 09:21:25 am »

Thanks everyone

Yes she is taking shape really nicely. I'm getting educated about the rigging already, still trying to decide if I should go for standing or running, maybe partly running so I don't cover the entire details with sails. I like to make them fully blown up (some of them that are already up). Part if them in the process of setting, etc

I have already decided to make my own ropes as the original ones are not good.

I made a Lego rope walk just to test some ideas and I'm really happy about the results already. I will be doing separate post with exact types of thread I use but this was just simple try with basic cheap thread. Final ones will be fully synthetic thread...

See you soon ;)
Tom

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 09:51:46 am »

Tom,
The rigging has to be a combination of running and standing. Standing rigging was either tarred or painted to protect it from the elements, so don’t forget to paint all the standing rigging mat black.
The problem with model ropes for rigging is that they appear fluffy and can spoil a great model. Buy yourself a small block of bees wax and run all your running rigging through it. This flattens the fibres, making the rope much more realistic.

tomganc

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 10:11:44 am »

Thanks for the input, that's the reason I'm planning to use synthetic thread for the ropes as they are not fluffy at all. IT looks really realistic and I will be posting some sample pics very soon.
I got the bee's wax but once I ran rope through it it collected all the wax and lost its detail completely. There is also wax coloring left on the rope so I have mixed feelings about it. I will be wrapping some of the ropes too as per original.
It's definitely a big job and I can't wait to get started ;)

Regards
Tom

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 02:05:45 pm »

Tom,
I am really looking forward to watching this. Keep up the great work.

tomganc

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2021, 02:47:28 pm »

Week had past and I have some updates to my build. I'm finally up to speed with everything I've done and what I have missing. Right now I'm concentrating to get all the bits finished off and I got some nice progress recently.

Copper hull/rudder

As mentioned in last post I managed to get the hull and rudder finished off. There is a little difference in copper tarnishing as you can imagine as rudder is around 8 years younger :) I hope it will get less obvious after some time. Managed to attach the rudder, I have used the brass hinges provided but I got them blackened so they look better. Overall I'm happy with the result so far - see below

The gun port lids

Another thing that was long overdue was first 20 gun port lids to fit. I have decided to do some mods as I wasn't happy with what the magazine offered.
There is few thing I managed to do.
1. Magazine explained to use just 20x2mm plank and cut the squares. Well don't forget that hull has a different thickness and I needed to follow the shape of the hull so I glued strip of the 1mm thick veneer plank to follow the line of the hull.

2. Next thing that was bothering me was the rigging of the lids. The magazine wanted to drill hole through the lid and feed the thread - well not for me. I used the hinges supplied but instead of sticking it flat to the lid i bent the eyelet 90 degrees so I can feed the thread through it. Then i used very fine one to tie it there so it looks similar to real thing.

3. Last thing needed adding were eyelets on the inside of the ports to pull them shut. This is very nice detail that cannot be missed in my opinion. Well it was easier said than done as I had to make something small enough. With my chunky fingers I'm super proud of myself for achieving this. It was nice exercise before customising my cannons. I used 0.4mm brass wire and 0.5mm cable ferrule. I wrapped the brass wire around the ferrule and then using fine snips I cut them one by one. This gave me nice small rings (around 1.5mm dia). The eyelet was little more tricky as i was using fine tweezers to wrap wire around it and make the eyelet. I guess everyone has its own method and this worked for me. Last part was assembling them together. I've done it - two fine tweezers and tons of patience and eye strain and it's done. No magnifying glass or specs either so I think my eyesight is still strong [biggrin]
At the end I got it all blackened and it was time for the assembly.

Important note for everyone when dealing with small wooden parts. I always used shellac to seal the wood before sanding and painting. It makes all the difference as wood stays smooth. In terms of painting don't use too much paint as you will cover up all the details. Thin paint and couple of layers and it's done.

Ok enough talking - have a look at some pics...

[/url]

Stay tuned

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2021, 07:14:21 pm »

Excellent work…..

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2021, 07:44:09 pm »

Great colour choices!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tomganc

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2021, 07:51:56 pm »

Thanks very much.
I'm doing my best to make this build unique :)

Tom

tomganc

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2021, 10:58:16 am »

Hello again

That's another update on my build, this time top deck cannons. I couldn't resist doing some mods so here you go...

First thing I found somewhere it was the wheels. Real cannon has much thicker wheel shafts than proposed brass ones and I managed to find just the right way of doing it. I can't remember where I saw this method but it works great.

Instead of using the brass rod I used tooth picks but you insert them from the outside of the carriage which means the spike goes into the wheel first and then comes out and into the carriage. This gives you thicker diameter on the outside which you can trim. I went a step forward and decided to show the metal strap on the wheel hub. Using method described at the gun port lids I made some eyes of the diameter just big enough to fit on the toothpick just outside the wheel. Then I cut the toothpick off and secured it all with tiny drop of super glue.
It looks really good and I'm pleased with the result so far.

Tonight I will be putting everything together; as you can see on the last pic there is quite few extras on each cannon ;)

My aim is to get started on the rear gallery this week, and probably do the carronades.

I hope it is all helpful ;)

Regards
Tom

tomganc

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2022, 02:49:36 pm »

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!!!

Ok folks time for a decent update on my build. I managed to take some decent photos tonight but before them I will need to post not so good ones but I think it is important to mention what mods I made.

I will start with carronades. The carriages used in the kit are waaaayyyy too big and I had to scrap them. I have used some left over copper plates to make brackets and a sliced skewer to get the wheels in the right size. It took some messing around to get them right but it looks much better. At least carronade is level with the wheels on.

With this done I got them put together, painted all the necessary details and I managed to use my own rope :)

Together with carronades I finished all 6 top deck cannons with rigging. I used 2mm block for side tackle and 3mm doubles for the main one. Only thing I have left to do is coiled up rope but I will get to that at some point ;)

Lastly I finished preparing chainwales and they are nearly ready for fixing onto the hull. I had to remove all the blocks as I decided to stain them so they look better than plain, I stained the deadeyes too. They I rigged them using my own 0.5mm rope which looks much better. I didn't tie just simple knots around them, I did it properly with thin thread and ca glue. You can't see it properly on the pics but I will try to get the better closeups later down the line when doing the masts blocks again.

At the end few pics of the gallery which looks better in this light. Still need to add some black strips (got the masking tape already).

Have a great builds everyone [biggrin]

Regards
Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 21 queries.