Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Celestine ( Deans Marine )  (Read 59543 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: celestine
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2015, 09:46:22 pm »

How did you manage to solder all of those handrail joints without getting solder or flux splatter all over that white material object so close by?.... which at first looks like a Penguins shirt..........:embarrassed: .... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2015, 10:05:12 pm »

Hi Derek
No white metal there . All the hand rail is brass and the gantry is plastic.I use plumbing flux . just in and out with the soldering iron quickly and only have a very little solder on the iron . Clean the tip after every two solder joints as this removes and old unused solder[size=78%].[/size]
[/size][size=78%] [/size][/size]In photo you can see some flux on the grey paint but this washed off with hot soapy water.[size=78%]
The Penguin shirt is a box.

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2015, 10:10:16 pm »

Hi Carl
Thanks for the tip . I am not pleased at all. I am away with work till Tuesday evening so I will see what it is like when I get back .
Handrails were a pig to do . Did it in 3 soldering sessions as after awhile my eyes find it hard to focuses on the joints . It get easer towards the end as the X3 1m long brass wire used in handrails gets shorter and easer to handle

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2015, 10:21:23 pm »

Done a bit more . The orange paint was a total disaster . It was rub down with wet and dry till all the orange was gone . I have just repainted the front of the bridge white. So hopefully will get some orange spray on Sunday. I am trying a Halfords paint. [/size]At the stern done some more on the gantry. Made up one of two little platforms that hang down from the gantry. Very fiddly and time consuming
 john
[/color]

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
  • Figurin' it out........slowly!!!
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2015, 10:55:24 pm »

Very tidy workmanship there John........the detail is good!!!

Will there be any room on the pool for the rest of us at Warwick once you drop your Celestine on there  {-) ?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: October 24, 2015, 08:16:57 am »

Very tidy workmanship there John........the detail is good!!!

Will there be any room on the pool for the rest of us at Warwick once you drop your Celestine on there  {-) ?

I sure there will be a few spare mm LOL

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #106 on: October 24, 2015, 11:55:08 am »

You have some beautiful craftsmanship in those handrails and the window frames look so crisply cut - no wobbly knife marks in the corners! Humbrol paints, hmmm, not as good as they used to be a few years ago. They have changed their formulation due to health and safety and although the paints look okay in the tin, they seem to be lacking pigment and come out more transluscent rather than a solid colour. I've found it makes no difference whether you spray them with an airbrush or apply with a paint brush, they lack colour 'depth', especially in the lighter shades. I have a yellow anchor roller on my build, it has had 11 spray coats of humbrol and the grey undercoat still shows through.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: October 24, 2015, 03:38:57 pm »

I thought it was me , no orange in the orange paint very thin would not cover ,a new tin was a bit better ,as it happens I could use a few coats ,no detail to loss . The rest of the Humdrol was ok .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: October 24, 2015, 06:15:03 pm »

on the orange it was a new tin .I have put it down to poor quality paint . I will see how the Halfords paint stands up tomorrow.
The handrails are a very slow process put once soldered they are very strong .

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: October 27, 2015, 08:35:25 pm »

Ok
Repaint of the bridge no2 . Paint Halfords orange day glow ,very nice paint . Good on you Halfords ,Humbrol take note. Now I messed up the masking and made a crap job . NOT happy so rubbed down and repainted gloss white with a Plan B in my head on how to do this orange strip.Got some orange vinal . Put the first bit on and look at a photo to check the gap between the bottom of the orange strip and the top of the bridge windows . DOOOE yes Celestine +1 of her sisters has a different orange strip to the rest of her sisters .I know I should have looked at her and not Clementine but hay ho . With vinal no problems just peel off cut a new strip and hey presto . So now I am happy.
The stren gantry looking good still a bit more to do but getting there. on the 2 little platforms from start to fixing on th gantry and painting 8hrs . scary how many hours we put in to our models

john

bassplayer1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: October 27, 2015, 09:53:49 pm »

Nice work indeed :-))

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #111 on: October 27, 2015, 10:12:00 pm »

I gave up counting the hours a couple of years ago!!!

And as for fitting railings and stanchions...........jeezzz!!! it does my eyes in!!!! had to quit for this evening as I was getting a headache staring through my glasses AND a head magnifier  %% %% .

Lovely work there John.  Re the dayglow safety panel, I did wonder whether you were doing Celestine or Clementine  {-)  - but I didn't want to say anything as you know these ships far, far better than I.

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2015, 09:13:19 pm »

Well the rear is done and the LEDs still work put the ladders on and did some mods to the hand rails . Not to sure how I will fix this to the deck as it is a bit structure
Working on the handrails above the bridge both sides painted and need fitting. Just about 1 mile of hand rail to go now LOL.Started on the main crane and lifeboats . I will need to get some more brass tomorrow.
john
Ps Carl I could have kicked my self for looking at the wrong boat

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2015, 10:02:17 pm »

Getting there John  :-)) :-)) :-))

Did your brass stanchions come with the kit or have you had to buy them in separately?

For soldering, I have found it much easier to use solder paste as opposed to traditional solder.  I don't need three hands now!!! The solder paste is sticky enough that when applied with a toothpick it holds the parts together quite well and I just have to lightly touch the hot iron to the wire for the solder to flow nicely through the joint. 

I wonder how many others are manically beavering away in their workshops getting ready for Warwick?  {-) {-)

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2015, 10:17:52 pm »

Hi Carl
I use normal solder and plumbing flux works well. I will get some solder paste at Warwick and try it . The hand rail stanchions are Deans ones that come with the kit . Still a lot to do and only a few days to go .
John

bassplayer1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2015, 10:28:24 pm »

Normal solder and plumbing flux works fine for me too! Great work John!!!

Yannis

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2015, 10:41:03 pm »

Hi Yannies
Thanks. Now i have a decent soldering iron I am getting better at soldering

john

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2015, 12:30:39 am »

Hullo John..........ever considered gas?................I find it easier, quicker & cleaner and get a superior soldered joint that requires very little clean up  :-))...Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2015, 12:53:32 pm »

Hi Derek
The hand rails are soft soldered. My Iron gos up 480 deg C so no problem there . The roof of the Bridge is plastic . I thing a blow torch might cause a big problem LOL ,but thanks for the thought.

john

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2015, 10:34:38 pm »

Small update . Crane is all most finished . Just need rigging and a hook making and the jib support fitting . Started on the Anchor winches and deck fittings .

With less than 60 hr till show time I am doubt the life boats will get done and none of the 3 mast will get done .

John

carlmt

• Full Mayhemer
    • Linkspan Models
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2015, 11:37:02 pm »

Join the club John!!!!

Board of Trade have told me today that I can sail for demonstration purposes only but I am not to carry any passengers due to a complete absence of lifeboats!!!!  %% %% %%   A lack of railings on the passenger decks might have something to do with it as well  {:-{ .

Are you stopping over somewhere near Warwick for the weekend or travelling back and forth from home each day?

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2015, 08:58:31 am »

LOL
same here no lifeboats . if we sink there will be hell on.
Travelling back each day as it is local ,50min drive

John

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2015, 10:14:12 pm »

Well Rudders are fixed . That was a pain to do . I made up all new link bars and soldered the joints as I was not happy with the old ones. Must have be in and out of the boat 10 times making adjustments ,but now the rudders turn smoothly.[/size]Bad new my expensive soldering Iron has stop working . Looks like the power supply in side in has stopped working . I am really "xxxxx" as it was only a year and a half old and had naff all use .
Prior to the show I got the anchor winches done

John
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_lmzGiX38&feature=youtu.behttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tJOINI5gVw[/size]

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: November 17, 2015, 08:07:32 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PuzGK0vv9M

Ferry sailing at the Warwick boat show

John

bassplayer1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: November 17, 2015, 10:26:13 pm »

Nice video, nice boats!!! Yours looks really good John! One question, how did you do the logo on the sides of the hull, is it painted on or is it a decal???
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.