Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of glues  (Read 1075 times)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Use of glues
« on: December 03, 2021, 03:56:02 pm »

I have been model building for many years and like most of us have all used epoxy resin for our model building.  I personally stopped using epoxy for certain gluing applications and I started to use adhesives used in the construction industry.  At the present time I am using an adhesive called "Stixall".  This adhesive will stick a large  variety of materials, whether it be porous or non-porous.  I have enclosed a picture of the tube.  If you want any information you can just type in on the internet "Everbuild Stixall" and you will be able to find the technical sheet for this adhesive. Small 80 ml tubes are also available. A further picture shows the motor mounts fitted in my Yamato using Stixall. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Use of glues
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 04:18:22 pm »

I bought a couple of tubes recently to stick down a flexible flood barrier across my driveway! It's billed as an adhesive/sealant and I used it for both purposes.If it lives up to the description then it is good value but is a bit messy to use. White spirit seems to shift it when it is still wet though.

I am usually reluctant to stick things like motor mountings down as you have a problem if you need to subsequently alter their alignment for any reason. When I built one of the SLEC Faireys I found I needed a different coupling which required the motor to be shifted back a bit. Fortunalely it was just screwed down onto a base.

Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2021, 04:36:13 pm »

HI Colin I take your point about the motor mountings but the shafts in this model are so low I had to glue then straight on to the hull. :-)) :-))   All glues are messy if not used wisely. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2021, 04:53:49 pm »

All glues are messy if not used wisely

Never a truer word Stan! (You should see me with paint too... :D)

Colin

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2021, 05:59:36 pm »

HI Colin yes paints can be very messy more on my fingers some times. {-) {-) {-) {-) {-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.