Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stuffed fables  (Read 1572 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Stuffed fables
« on: December 05, 2021, 09:12:05 pm »

OK so this is a strange one.
Not my normal genre.
We bought the game stuffed fables for our granddaughter(it was on her list provided by her parents) we know nothing about the game but Becky (our daughter in law) said all the characters in the game are just grey plastic "there are 6 of them" she said but she had seen somewhere someone had painted them to look like the characters  and they looked so much better.
She said with my modelling background could I paint them (I did think to say I've never done figures but then thought, it's only six and it's just a game they will be really simple )
Well as you can see it's not 6

And they are no simple they are very detailed, so no pressure only have to do them by Xmas.
I love Megan (my granddaughter) so will do my absolute best but this is totally new waters to me.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Stuffed fables
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2021, 01:39:58 am »

OK, as someone who only painted figures once, and they were larger, I did a lot of background research on t'web. Here Is what I figured out.

There is a definite skill set to master, or at least partly master. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube. There is a slightly complicated procedure, but it is not difficult.
Buy some cheap plastic figures, like toy soldiers, to practice on. You don't want to spoil the finished articles as they are a gift.
The figures must be washed thoroughly to remove the release agent.
There are special primers and paints just for figure painting. They are expensive but will give you far superior results.
There is a definite order of painting. E.G. whites of eyes before skin of the face. Hands before sleeves, etc. That way the smaller bits that are harder to paint are edged by the larger painted area, easier and gives better results. In fact there are whole tutorials on eyes.
There is a specific way to layer color on the figure's clothing to make it look right.
I am not trying to give a tutorial here, but just highlight that there is a complex (but not difficult) way of doing this.
If the game has a website or other media, there will be recognized color schemes that you can copy. There may even be Websites/YouTube channels dedicated to Stuffed Fables, which have advise on, and examples of, painted figures.

Thinking out of the box. There is no need to rush. Do a few really well for Christmas. You can then do the others slowly over the rest of the year. Maybe take one home every week, and produce the finished item to your granddaughter every time you visit. It will give you something to share with each other. She may even want to paint one or two herself one day.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2021, 06:41:20 am »

My daughter has something similar...  different game but similar figures..

The results are prity good..

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2021, 10:18:38 am »

Look up the Warhammer tutorials or google Games Workshops.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2021, 11:52:03 am »

Remember that you are not producing exhibition figures. They are for a childs fantasy game so a simpler colour scheme will do, there is really no need need for all of the fancy shading effects used in display models. Your granddaughter will love just as much regardless.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2021, 08:43:55 pm »

Thanks guys.
Hi all well I'm quite enjoying this. In the game play and the instructions there are pictures of the 6 main characters but not much of the protagonists which is why there are so many different colours of the other characters (other people are having the same problem as me) so I've decided any I can't find official colours of I'm going to do as colourful as possible.
I've got to say it's quite a morbid game the characters (even the goodies) are quite gothic.

colin-d

• Full Mayhemer
    • my hobby
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2021, 06:57:16 am »

Nice job, well done  :-))
The main thing, you have typed yourself...  " enjoying "  and so you should...

Remember that you are not producing exhibition figures.
My daughters figures are not for exhibition.. !!  They are for game playing..!!

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2021, 09:04:48 pm »

I could really get into this, I have to keep reminding myself this is for an 8 year old and she won't appreciate subtle shading and weathering, oh how I would love to go to town on those wolves (I'm calling them wolves I don't know if that's what they are) I could take the seam lines out but I'm on a tight schedule, and anyway they are cleverly molded where the creatures are stitched together (a lot of kit manufacturers could take lessons from the way these are molded I've only found 1 release pin mark and unless you were looking for it you wouldn't see it.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 08:33:57 pm »

More done on these, I'm really enjoying this.

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 08:27:32 pm »

Well there are a few more done.

RST

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2021, 02:39:34 am »

These are flipping horrible little buggers things for a kid these days but I'm obviously out of touch nd to be fair from what I googled you treated them admirably!  Stick some sawdust / sand in a pot and mix it with paint of choice or if you don't have any railway modelling materiel cut a chunk of old dishwashing sponge in a blender (or sand one with coarse grit and collect the debris),  Mix it with a bit of colour and apply to the base to finish it off.  Know you already know all that but in case you didn't realise.

Rich

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2021, 09:24:18 pm »

They are played on a board so no need for a base mate. But thanks.
Well they're done, given time I could have spent ages on them but they've got to fully cure then I've got to pack them back in the game and wrap it up.
I'm pleased I got them done in time and I think to a standard an 8 Yr old will appreciate (even if she is a real brain box and way ahead of all the other kids in her class) seriously you should see her school reports (I'm especially proud of the statement of her school head saying "Megan's manners are impeccable"
That girl is awesome and so kind.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2021, 10:39:25 pm »

Bless you Ken. You are always so modest  :-)  They have come out fabulous, and there are some real gems in amongst the good collection as a chole. The Green chap has some great co our variation, and the evil teddy's have come out really well also. Young Megan will love those :)
Pond weed is your enemy

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2021, 10:48:23 am »

She's going to have to keep a count on them Ken. NOT suggesting her mates are tea leafs but they are so attractive.

Regards Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.